Camping trailer build

verdesardog

Explorer
I do have plans...... Some kind of murphy bed on one side or futon type couch, I hate segmented cussions to sleep on. The front wall will have a counter with sink and stove. A small enclosure for a cassette toilet. And one of these: http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/propane.php

But that will come as money is available, this year will probably just be a portable bed and folding table.

verdesardog

Explorer
shake down run

I got the exterior of my trailer done so decided to give it a trial run today. Everything is still intact!

Now to start on the interior.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

verdesardog

Explorer
Hows it handle the wind and freeway/ highway speeds?

@60mph the big truck doesn't even know it's back there. In the wind I bet it will be like any other large surfaced vehicle/trailer combo and need a bit of slowing down to keep it in it's own lane....The primary purpose of this trailer is for off pavement travel/camping. The only pavement it will see is getting to the romote places to camp.

D

Deleted member 9101

I love the "tiny house" concept. I have wanted to build one for years, just have no place to park one where I live.

verdesardog

Explorer
floor is done

I got the car decking floor covered with insulation,osb and bamboo! It's weather tight and useable now.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

bonomonster

Adventurer
So for the flooring, the insulation, sub floor, and bamboo are all free floating? Are the bamboo planks attached only to each other, and floating on the sub floor?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

KaiserJeep

If you want to use it in Winter, there are less expensive ways then forking over $1100 for a propane furnace. There are tent stoves for example, starting at less than $50:

41NIsXHW7zL.jpg

A box of kindling sticks gives you heat for 4 hours or so.

http://www.amazon.com/TMS-STOVE-2346-Portable-Military-Camping/dp/B002XNWC8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390538852&sr=8-1&keywords=tent+stoves

I have used these in an ice fishing shack about the same size as your trailer.

Last edited:

verdesardog

Explorer
I've seen those but I want this to be more civilized LOL

I do have an old Sears pot belly stove in my shop that I thought about using....

Last edited:

verdesardog

Explorer
The floor iscomposed of four components:

1. 2x decking (original).
2. Solid foam insulation with aluminum radiant sheild.
3. OSB screwed to the decking through the insulation.
4. Bamboo stapled to the OSB.

I did contemplate removing the original deck but I figured the additional weight down low would help keep the center of gravity low and provide more stability off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94