Tires: GoodYear Adventure with Kevlar vs. ******** Cepek Trail Country

AlexJet

Explorer
I need a new tires on my 4Runner.
I currently run ProComp All Terrain and I love how its perform both in the summer and winter. I need the tire which would perform flawlessly on the highway, gravel roads and snowy winter conditions, safe mountain passes in the winter. I know its tough to get good performance in such different conditions, but ProComps were satisfying those conditions. Unfortunately All Terrain is discontinued from ProComp line up. Close up General Grabber AT2 is also discontinued. I looked at other options and found that GoodYear has new Adventure with Kevlar tire, most likely will replace their SilentArmor model. Another option is ******** Cepek Trail Country. I kind like the Fallken Wild Peak AT, but I have big question on their performance on icy roads as blocks doesn't have sipping. Had Bridgestone AT Revo before and its an average tire. Didn't like BFG AT/KO, doesn't answer my liking. My wife used to have Toyo Open Country AT, they good in summer, not so good on slippery Canadian roads.
Any thought or ideas from fellow members? What are other people experience?

gy_wrang_atadvkev_owl_ci2_l.jpg

dc_tc_owl_ci2_l.jpg

Last edited:

Ramblinman

Observer
Fountain Tire

I purchased a set from Fountain Tire this October and I am happy with them so far. I see them as a tire that is good at everything but excellent at nothing. I like the Kevlar as it hopefully reduces flats and that is the most important. FT has a 3 for 1 deal which made them even more attractive. Very quiet on the hwy which is important to me as I spend most of the time driving to my destination.

Not a lot of reviews so far as they are relatively new.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I had a set of 35" Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar (not sure if they share a carcass with the Adventure or not). They were great tires at first, but then slowly went out of round (lots of vibration on the highway, especially above 65 mph). Goodyear was good about warrantying them, though I'm hesitant to buy Goodyear tires again myself after two less-than-wonderful experiences (1st was 33" non-kevlar MT/Rs, same thing (out-of-round), though these weren't anywhere near as bad).

No experience with ******** Cepek tires.

Silvanus

Observer
I've got a set of GY Adventure LT 31's since Oct. and so far I've gotten 19/20 mpg hwy/17/19 around town ( 4.88 r&p's w/31's, 42RLE Auto ), smooth ride, and there's been this storm here in New England ( Swanton,Vt. ) and I was out in it and the roads were not plowed with 2/3" of icy slush with only the rear wheels engaged, Quite impressive!

I've been an BFG Dude since 1990 and have surpassed the BFG AT/KM in snow,icy slush, black ice!

This Spring-Fall season I'll find out how they perform on Class 4, Two Track roads, The Kevlar carcass gives me the confidence to do so!

AlexJet

Explorer
Passed by local tire shop yesterday and they suggested Hankook Dynapro ATM and Cooper Discoverer AT3, but they may just trying to make a sale. I've heard that Cooper tires lately gone down on quality as there are allot of complaints on the forums.

Haakon

Observer
I put about 30,000 miles on a set of Hankook ATM on my Tahoe. They did fine on gravel roads but were nothing special in the snow. Worse than BFG AT and worse than the Wild Country XTX I have on now. The XTX has the 'severe snow' rated snowflake if that matters to you.

AlexJet

Explorer
"Snow Flake" certification is definitely an asset for my choice, but I know some manufacturers do not certified their product due to high cost of certification while having products surpassing certification requirements.
So its good to have, but not mandary on my list. I'm in for good tire.

keezer37

Explorer
Many tires will be impressive new. I would see if the tread is fully or partially sipped (depth of sipping). Not sure what the standard practice is, if there is one. Once they are worn past the sipping, a good tire goes bad real fast.

AlexJet

Explorer
What people think of ******** Cepek tires in genaral, any of their tires? What is general impression of ******** Cepek as tires?

ExploringNH

Explorer
I have a set of ******** Cepek FC II on a 2001 Dodge Ram. Unsure of total mileage on them but somewhere around 15k through all conditions (mud, snow, highway, towing, dirt roads) over two years. I can't say enough good about them. Awesome in anything I have been through (keeping in mind that they are all terrains and mud performance will suffer). I ran Pro Comp ATs on my 4Runner for about 30k miles in the same conditions so I have a good comparison, even though they are two different vehicles. Both tires are 285/75/16. They are very comparable. If I had to buy again I think it would come down to price. I think the FC II looks nicer but I think performance is pretty equal. The FC II seems to be wearing slower than the Pro Comps, which is good, but it is hard to tell with so few miles on them.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I would take a real hard look at the Cooper Discoverer AT3. All reports I have read said they are excellent. I had the previously gen version and they were great in snow and ice.

AlexJet

Explorer
Consumer Reports actually have good feedback on Cooper Discoverer AT3. I may think of them.
Another option I just found is Nokian Rotiiva AT, but I can't find any feedback on them. Anyone knows anything about them?
I'm kind of droped GoodYear option as many people doesn't like them in the winter.
So my list now is:

Cooper Discovere AT3
DiscovererAT3-adj.jpg

Nokian Rottiva AT
nokian_rotiivaat__.jpg

Nitto Terra Grapler
nitto-terra-grappler.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you are looking for snow performance, run from the Nittos. I had brand new ones on my 80 series and they were scarey in the snow. Check out the new Toyo AT II. I had the old version on my 1/2 ton Ram, and the new version on my Rubicon. Night and day difference between them!

******** Cepeck is a good tire as well, since you asked...

The Coopers are about the only tire made in the USA if that means anything. Also because of the way they are designed they are less likely to cup and feather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles