Input on RAM ipod mount to console.

Hula

Observer
Mounting the base of my RAM ipod mount to the mini cup holder in my 2013 Tundra. I can't access the underneath, so will a fully threaded wood or metal screw be appropriate? Ideas are welcomed.

Boost Creep

Adventurer
check to see whats under it first. hate to see you drive a screw into something expensive. otherwise screwing should be fine

I use the coarsest screws i could find at the local hardware store. I screwed one of those into the overhead plastic roll bar cover in my JK to support an iPad, and one in the plastic cubby on the top of the dash for an iPad mini. They both hold the weight just fine. As long as there isn't anything behind it, you should be fine.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Consider gluing it in with silicone. Cover the bottom of the cup holder, install the mount and them cover the top of the mount as high as you can with affecting use of the mount,

Advantages - no holes when removed, easy to remove, will be quite solid when it dries.

Just another idea.

Doug

ChsBrgr

Observer
Just did something similar for temporary mounting. Find a can or plastic jar at the grocery store with a screw on lid that fits tightly in your cup holder. Bolt your ram mount to the lid. Screw the lid on and paint to match your interior. Totally temporary and cheesy!

I mounted my plug and play satellite radio and a Garmin gps in two of my cup holders for now. I hope to figure out all or most of my 12volt accessories and their permanent places, then maybe only take my interior apart once to mount everything clean and run all the wires. Ok, I know it won't be once, but it won't be ten times like my last rig.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've become a big fan of 3m double-stick mounting tape. Get the heavy duty 5lb outdoor-rated stuff and it will stick to anything, but will also remove without leaving a trace.

If it was something heavy like a radio, I could understand wanting to screw it in but an iPod/iPhone doesn't weigh enough, IMO, to require it.

Hula

Observer
Oh, you are correct it is topo maps. I'm trying Avenza but must have had that up messing with it.

nickburt

Observer
I'm liking the Ipad case and holder. Been looking at various options for mine. Is that an Otterbox Ipad case and which RAM holder is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94