JKUR for ram mega cab?

wanabxtrm

Observer
I've been debating trading my 08 Wrangler JKUR (bought new) for a used ram 2500 diesel for awhile, thought I'd post up here after seeing some other good comment threads. At this point our resale/trade value of the jeep is still nearly what I paid for it, and with a growing family I've been thinking of cashing the value out of it (its been paid off for some time) while its worthwhile. I figure my mileage will be about the same, with more space towing etc.

Curious if anyone had experience with both to comment. We almost bought one outright recently, but ended up with an 08 grand cherokee CRD instead, as the truck was bigger than my wife wanted. Still don't think I'm up for giving up the wrangler, but have been thinking of it more.

Thanks,

camodog

Adventurer
Thats a tough decision. If the jeep is paid off And you really want a truck, I would do one of two things.
1. Sell the jeep and buy the truck and an older cheaper wrangler like a tj or yj
2. Keep the jeep and just buy the truck.

I personally couldnt live without a jeep and my truck. So I have both. An LJRubicon, and my crewcab powerstroke diesel.

Depending on the YEAR of the RAM, and all what kind of GOODIES it comes with. I would like have a Wrangler in the family, they are so dual-purpose, it is not even funny! :) I have never been a truck guy myself, I would rather pull a trailer with a SUV/V8, then a truck, just me. I do hope one day, I will own a JKUR or something along the line, and take it to my grave! :smiley_drive:. I do wish you the best in what decision you choose.

wADVr

Adventurer
It really depends on what you want to go with it. If I didn't enjoy jeep trails with the family I would have kept my 06 3500 CTD quad cab short box. It was a great truck despite the maintenance items that started piling up($$$$), fuel mileage was higher but cost more so its about the same costwise (18mpg city, 20+ highway vs 15ish in the JK) drove nice anywhere it would fit. Can tow just about anything and still run FS roads with ease. I went with the JKU to be a compromise between my XJ and the Ram as I wanted it to drive nice on the road, fit the whole family and stuff. I have thus far kept the XJ but would like to sell for a dual sport bike to get more places with less fuel. My decision was more of a shift away from the desire to have a tow rig and trip rig and all the space and maintenance they were consuming. My XJ is great on the road but 2 doors and kids wasn't working the greatest for a soccer wagon. Another complaint i had with my Ram was using it as a daily driver. My office is only 15 miles away, in the winter months it didn't get to operating temp until I was almost as work, then Id shut it right back off again, I don't think this was very good for it. Even with a block heater it would cool back down within a mile or so.

All that said I do miss the Ram and if I get into bikes they way I would like to, I could see the potential for the shift back to a Ram for myself.

Inline6

Adventurer
I have both, highly recommended. Both rigs do different things well and many of the same things well. All depends on what you really need.

As far as rear seat space, I guess the dodge has a bit more room but might not be enough to make a difference.
As for size, the truck is a bear to park in tight spaces.

Ok, obvious answers, but what I run into every day.

Oh, the diesel gets better mileage around town and on the highway, unless towing...

goin camping

Explorer
Have both but you should look at your families needs and go that way.

To reinforce another members genius above. You can get a TJ or YJ for very little money. :)

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I'd rather have the Cummins over an 08 JKUR. (though my dream truck is a mega cab cummins) Depending on your location and where you wheel, you may be able to set the truck up to do what you do in the JK. I have a JKU and there will be a Cummins beside it when the JK is paid off. I put the wife in the JKU so I can still have my truck. How would your wife feel about driving the JK? Then trade the Grand on a Cummins.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: You have a valuable jeep, the '08 JKUR will sell for more and more as the Chrysler plans change over the next 10 years and

A pickup can never no all the JKUR can do and the JKUR can never do all the big RAM can do-so

Keep the jeep and getta pickup--I did and now there's nothing (?), I can't do with my vehicles-

Good lluck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles