1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

Kenfly

Here is mine
https://www.facebook.com/fullsizeinvasion/photos/t.1279228544/1006056036173483/?type=3&theater

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 50

1stDeuce

Explorer
Nice to see this truck still humming along. I don't remember anymore if you've already put your headlights on relays, but that is a BIG improvement in light output, and the very first thing I would do if you haven't. I used a plug and play harness on the Comanche that was easy to install, and got quite a bit more voltage to the lights... I think it was $20 off Amazon...

After that, you can replace your sealed beam lights with a set of quality H4's. Hella E-code lights are probably the best, and you can then bump up the wattage on the high beam some. At that point, you probably won't need any extra lighting.

I had a 20" LED light bar on my truck for a while. It was basically a big flood light, and as such was pretty useless driving down the road. (It was also way too bright to be used on the road, IMO...) My experience is that light bars work OK offroad to replace really poor stock lighting on sxs's, buggies, etc, but they are kinda dumb for on-road use. They also get quickly covered with snow and become totally useless in winter weather.

I plucked it in favor of a set of hella driving lights. I can see fine up close with the stock headlights, it's the deer a quarter of a mile up the road that I wanted to be able to see... The Hella's do that much better, and they burn the snow right off. I have IPF's on my Jeep for the same purpose. A set of 8" or 9" round lights mounted on the front bumper would probably look more "classic" than any light bar... Stretch a set of the cheesy old KC smiley face covers over them and you're good to go! :)

1stDeuce

Explorer
... and if the answer to updates is that it got smashed four years ago and it's gone, just don't say anything... This truck is still the screensaver on my laptop... :)

Looks like snekvasil's last visit to ExPo was March 2021... Hope life is just busy!!

Last edited:

AJM

Bumper

Bumper Mods

Nothing too spectacular to update you all on. I've been swamped with work, so not much time for the truck. I bought steel last spring to make swing-out arms on my bumper. They've been sitting in storage since then, but now the right arm has taken shape. I went with 2" square stock. It's really beefy; I wanted to make sure it would hold up under stress.

I bought a spindle package from A to Z Fabrication. I decided to go with the "mega" spindle which can mount up to a 35" tire. My tires are only 32", but I may go up in diameter in the future.

The two spindles were welded to the bumper then then sleeves for the bearings were welded to the swing-out arms. Packing the bearings was not easy...we had to use a 20-ton press to get them packed correctly. Then I took the spare tire mount arm back off and painted it. In order to secure the arm, I'm using a T-bolt kit I found. I really like it because it screws into a plate that was welded directly to the bumper. This makes the bumper feel really snug and secure--no rattling around which was my main concern. On to the pictures...

This was a dry fit when all the welding was done. Notice the left arm is sitting there for a dry fit, too, just to see how it would look. One gas can and one water can will go on the left arm.

View attachment 298722

After it was painted, with the tire on:

View attachment 298723

First time after using it on the job:

View attachment 298724

One last pic to show a different angle...

View attachment 298725

This truck is what it is...nothing too fancy. But I love it and it gets the job done. I'm more and more impressed with its four-wheel-drive capabilities. I had to drive down into a ravine to get the logs out after my last tree job. The soil was loose and sandy. I put the truck in granny gear, 4LO, and crawled up the hill. Never slipped once. Several modern vehicles tried the same thing and all of them had to be pulled out by a dozer. It's a working truck that is evolving to meet my needs.

Hope you enjoy looking at the pics.

Your love for this truck shines through. I’m enjoying reading about your journey.
Well done and God bless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94