1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

snekvasil

Adventurer
P/B & P/S

Hey guys, just wanted to start the conversation about power brakes and power steering. It probably won't happen for a little while due to finances, but I wanted to start the research now. What all is involved in these two upgrades? Have any of you done it? What kind of $$$ can I expect to spend with these upgrades?

1stDeuce

Explorer
Steering column should be fine as far as I know. You'll need the box and the steering shaft that goes from the firewall to the box. And the pump and lines, of course. :) Power brakes should be relatively easy too. I'd think about getting them off a later truck though. You may have to modify the pushrod a bit, and drill the proper holes in the firewall. If you look at the inside, the pedal sled may already have tabs where the booster mounts. Just drill out the holes. (I am speaking from experience with the next gen trucks after yours, so YMMV a little, but probably not a lot.)
:)

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
instead of regular power breaks, look into a hydroboost brake setup off a diesel, I think the 91 crew cabs also had this brake setup.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Maiden Voyage, 2015

Took the K10 out this afternoon for its first time since last November. It reminded me how much I need to fix the steering :Wow1:

Other than that, it's running great. I got the rear axle centered again...much better than it was. I'm really excited to get the bed rack painted and put back on.

I've got a heater core leak somewhere that I'm trying to track down; that's the next order of business. Then, power brakes and power steering. I also have some 1.25" spacers for the rear wheels coming to me in the mail. I noticed some rubbing in the back, so hopefully the spacers should eliminate that.

My buddy and I are planning a camping/trout fishing trip for early summer. Hopefully I can get the fixes done before then. If not, it'll be good enough :bike_rider: Here's to a good year of traveling and modding!

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866-1.jpg

Bojak

Adventurer
Took the K10 out this afternoon for its first time since last November. It reminded me how much I need to fix the steering :Wow1:

Other than that, it's running great. I got the rear axle centered again...much better than it was. I'm really excited to get the bed rack painted and put back on.

I've got a heater core leak somewhere that I'm trying to track down; that's the next order of business. Then, power brakes and power steering. I also have some 1.25" spacers for the rear wheels coming to me in the mail. I noticed some rubbing in the back, so hopefully the spacers should eliminate that.

My buddy and I are planning a camping/trout fishing trip for early summer. Hopefully I can get the fixes done before then. If not, it'll be good enough :bike_rider: Here's to a good year of traveling and modding!

I am glad to see the mcqueen up and out. Great truck.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Minor Updates

I've been itching to get the bed rack/cage back on, so today I painted it. I used VHT Epoxy paint. So far, I'm very, very pleased. It dries super fast and super hard. Only complaint: it's very runny. I'm not too concerned though since it's going to be used for work/camping/etc.

I set it up on some old carpet discards in my driveway. I painted the top side, then we flipped it over and I painted the bottom.

IMG_0867-1.jpg

IMG_0868-2.jpg

IMG_0870-2.jpg

Then I had my buddy come over and we slid it on the top and bolted it on. I added my hi-lift and rotopax plate as well.

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Weather was good, so I painted the bumper as well. It's a temporary fix to an ugly sore. Here are before and after pics to remind you how fugly the thing was:

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0887-1.jpg

gohuge

Observer
Rack looks great. Bumper looks good too.
Amazing what a good coat of paint to make something new again.

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
Wow this is a great build on a great old truck, thank you for sharing. It's very cool that it has family history. I'd like to recommend these forged d-shackle lugs for your back bumper if you can find them, a guy sold some on ebay, said they were rated for 25,000 lbs lifting. I have 2 on the front and 2 on the back of my Dodge. Also, my rear bumper is painted with that VHT Expoxy suspension paint and it has held up pretty good, I have been recoating each spring.

I also like your idea on the receiver through the back bumper, that is what I did. I believe I purchased the 8" long receiver tube from Northern Tool.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Wow this is a great build on a great old truck, thank you for sharing. It's very cool that it has family history. I'd like to recommend these forged d-shackle lugs for your back bumper if you can find them, a guy sold some on ebay, said they were rated for 25,000 lbs lifting. I have 2 on the front and 2 on the back of my Dodge. Also, my rear bumper is painted with that VHT Expoxy suspension paint and it has held up pretty good, I have been recoating each spring.

I also like your idea on the receiver through the back bumper, that is what I did. I believe I purchased the 8" long receiver tube from Northern Tool.

That's a clean looking bumper you have on your Ram! I like it a lot, it's simple but gets the job done. Do you have a build thread? I like those D-shackle lugs as well. I've actually already purchased some for my bumper :ylsmoke: I just need to weld them on this summer. I'm thinking about building a simple swingout for my spare tire. I'll probably glue those shackles on when I do that.

I'm going to purchase the receiver tube some time this spring. I'm planning on using an 8" one as well (from TSC).

snekvasil

Adventurer
Minor Upgrades

Power brakes; I got a booster bracket/adapter from Captain Fab off of the 67-72 Chevy truck forum. This guy is the man--I highly recommend him. The bracket was top notch, perfectly machined, powder coated, and mailed very quickly. Made this upgrade so easy. Got a 1978 master cylinder and a '78 booster, bolted it on, and extended the pushrod 1/2 an inch. The difference is incredible. Hard to believe I drove without them for so long.

IMG_0969-1.jpg

Decided to go with the Rotopax dry storage containers. I'm going to use NATO fuel cans on the bumper instead of Rotopax fuel storage.

FullSizeRender-3 2.jpg

IMG_0972-1.jpg

Also added 1.25" spacers to the back wheels. I didn't take pics of the install. You can't tell a major difference, but I think the slight change does improve the look:

IMG_0971-1.jpg

That's it for now. I'm gonna start messing with the bumper next week when I get some breathing room.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Haha no kidding, Rot Box. I slid through a couple of red lights praying no one else was coming. I didn't know what brake fade was until this truck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke