1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

snekvasil

Adventurer
one more thing...

This just came in the mail...

FullSizeRender.jpg

I'm excited to get this storage setup. As most of you guys with standard cab trucks know, there's not a whole lot of storage with these trucks. With my tree business, as well as my hunting/camping/fishing hobbies, I need as much storage as possible while maintaining open bed space. Hopefully this cage with the side mounts will help with work and play!:sombrero:

Bojak

Adventurer
Rack n roll. Looks awesome. Let us know what you think about the rotopax set up after some feild testing. I always thought it would ideal for mix gas (usually smaller quantities) and there storage pods but came to a halt when thinking in terms of supplemental unleaded gas and more importantly water. Love to get some in the feild feedback from someone who uses there truck for work as well as adventure.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Rack n roll. Looks awesome. Let us know what you think about the rotopax set up after some feild testing. I always thought it would ideal for mix gas (usually smaller quantities) and there storage pods but came to a halt when thinking in terms of supplemental unleaded gas and more importantly water. Love to get some in the feild feedback from someone who uses there truck for work as well as adventure.

Bojak, it sounds like you're reading my mind! I've been thinking the same thing w/ the Rotopax. It seems like a total waste of money to have 4 gallons of unleaded gas...especially with my truck =) BUT mixed gas would be perfect in 2 or 4 gallon containers. I'll definitely give a write up on how they perform. I have 3 tree removals and 4 prunings before Thanksgiving so hopefully that'll give me a good test run.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Before the snow-salt hits...

Did some tool-mounting this weekend. Probably won't get much more work done on the cage until next spring.

Added the RotopaX plate:

IMG_0388-1.jpg

I kind of doubt I'll get the RotoPaX tanks mounted this year...just not the priority right now. I also mounted the farm jack:

IMG_0391-1.jpg

I like the way the jack turned out. It'll be easy to get to, and it's not sticking out too far from the cage.

Here are a couple more pics I took while Chris was trimming off the bumper:

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

Sidenote: does anyone know why the lines between the cab and the bed don't line up? I'm assuming it's due to the age of the truck, but I didn't know why. Maybe the cab mounts being squished down after so long? Let me know your thoughts/input...

Since not much else will be done on the cage until spring, my cold-weather goals are to: 1) install the new leaf springs, 2) install front axle w/ disc brakes, and 3) restore the original rims.

Bojak

Adventurer
I'm guessing either body mounts or frame flex over the years. My 89 needs new body mounts so if yours are original 1968 ones, then they probably are due.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
That would be the first thing I would try. I have a '70 Blazer and body mounts are the first thing you replace on these before trying to line anything up.

RedF

Adventurer
Regarding the body lines not lining up, the body mounts are definitely the first culprit to look at.

1stDeuce

Explorer
No wonder I can't find this truck here in NM, you took it to IN!!! How did I miss this thread for so long??

I had a '78 stepside that got me through college. When I got out, I dumped the 250 six for a rebuilt 292. It was awesome!! If you give it regular oil changes and keep the rev's down a bit, it'll run forever. (7 main bearings for six cylinders!!) I can't believe you took it from NM to IN... For the love of all things old, please don't drive it this winter!! :)

Love the bed rack too, and it looks like you cleared over the old paint, which is awesome!!

1stDeuce

Explorer
BTW, I have a manifold and adapter to put a GM throttle body on it if you are interested... Howell can make you a FI kit for it, or you can junkyard a kit from an early '90's 4.3L with 5.0L injectors. You'll need to swap in an HEI distributor out of a later 250/292, but that should allow you to put the FI compatible spark controller in and you're set!

I will ship you the manifold if you want it because I'm done with it. (Scrapped my truck out several years ago.) It is from Brazil, and should bolt right to your factory exhaust manifold. Skip exhaust headers of any brand... They all SUCK.

(Oops, I'm reading the thread backwards. See you already EFI'd it. Nice!!!)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior