1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

snekvasil

Adventurer
I just inherited this 1968 Chevy K10 SWB (Short Wheel Base) from my Granddad. He bought it brand new. When one of the windows broke, he parked it and never drove it again; because of this, the truck's inline 6 only has 21,000 miles on it! It has been in New Mexico its entire life, so is virtually free of rust.

IMG_1178.jpg

Now I know these trucks are usually the choice for restoration and/or hotrodding, but that's just not my style. I want this truck to be used, not collect dust in some garage full of trophies. Sure, I want it to look nice, but I also want it to be used the way a truck should be used. I plan on getting bumpers made for the front and back for overlanding. The front bumper will be like an ARB bumper, complete with a winch and off road lighting. The rear bumper will be a swing-out bumper for a spare tire and gas cans.

I just put a new suspension kit on it with a 1" lift, giving plenty of clearance for 33" tires. I'm also having a rack built for the bed so I can put a rooftop tent on it. I'll be able to mount my Max Trax and Hi-Lift Jack on the sides of the rack.

The 292 cubic inch V-6 under the hood is surprisingly powerful. It has loads of torque and can pretty much go anywhere. Its top speed is around 60mph, the only downside to the engine that I have yet to encounter. After rebuilding the carburetor, replacing the fuel lines and pump, the truck has been running like a top.

IMG_1145.jpg

My Granddad used this truck mainly for gathering firewood in the mountains of New Mexico. According to my uncle that used to go with him, this truck can go virtually anywhere I'd ever want, due to its gearing and torque load. Here is a picture of my grandpa using the truck getting firewood.

IMG_1183.JPG

I'm excited about this project! It should be a fun one. After I get the vehicle safe, road-worthy, and dependable, I plan on giving it a new paint job. After that, I will continue the overland build until it meets all of my needs. Then the real road trips will begin!

Last edited:

snekvasil

Adventurer
Yeah, crazy, isn't it? Apparently most of those trucks came with a 250. My grandpa had to special order the 292.

Here is something I found online: "The 292 cu in (4.8 L) engine was only used in Chevrolet and GMC trucks; the block deck is taller, along with a relocated passenger-side engine mount. These were produced between 1962 to 1990."

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I obviously haven't seen it in person, but I think you could polish and wax that original paint and call it good. Spend your money elsewhere, like gas for traveling.

Whatever you do, congratulations on the truck, it looks almost perfect as is. And good on ya for driving it and using it for what it is was built for. And you just gotta love a straight six. I've been lusting after a Ford 300 straight six for a while. They're gear driven timing and the older ones of similar vintage to your truck were the most powerful from what I can tell so far. And the 12V Cummins...serious straight-6 power.

snekvasil

Adventurer
I know most people think this is blasphemy, but I plan on dropping a 12V Cummins into this truck once the gas engine goes south...in my opinion, it's possibly the best engine out there.

ober27

Adventurer
I've owned several Chevrolet pickups with inline sixes, one of which was a 292. My 292 didn't go anywhere fast, but it went everywhere and pulled anything. They are also the easiest engine I've ever worked on. Your truck is a piece of history, made even better by the fact it's part of your family history. Keep photos and updates coming.

UHAULER

Explorer
Yeah, crazy, isn't it? Apparently most of those trucks came with a 250. My grandpa had to special order the 292.

Here is something I found online: "The 292 cu in (4.8 L) engine was only used in Chevrolet and GMC trucks; the block deck is taller, along with a relocated passenger-side engine mount. These were produced between 1962 to 1990."

It's an inline six.

Nice truck. I had a 68 shortbed stepside 250 6 cyl. 4 speed 4x4. It was an old county truck so it was pretty beat but I fixed it up as best I could for a 20 yr old with not much money.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Thanks, ober27...it's definitely the perfect engine for me to learn on! I'm not used to raising the hood and being able to see straight to the ground. I will definitely keep photos and updates coming. Thanks for your support.

snekvasil

Adventurer
That's good to hear, UHAULER, because I don't have a ton of money floating around (who does?). My budget is around $8,000. Think it's doable?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great looking truck. I would upgrade the brakes and drive it.

Can you post a pic of the SPID? (you know the sticker on the inside of the glove box door)

I love seeing what the were equiped with when they left the dealer.

Jack

snekvasil

Adventurer
locrwin, the truck is currently in the shop getting a new exhaust. I will upload a picture of the SPID as soon as possible! How much do you think it would cost to put disc brakes in the front?

UHAULER

Explorer
That's good to hear, UHAULER, because I don't have a ton of money floating around (who does?). My budget is around $8,000. Think it's doable?

If you really want a Cummins in it, you are probably better off finding a first gen. cummins truck and putting your body on it. Your truck running gear is too light duty. You would be changing everything but the frame.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
We used to have an old '63 short bed with "positrack" on the rear diff....called her the "relic". I loved that old 2wd truck. Took it places I never dreamed a 2wd could go. It had a awesome granny gear...just drop her into 1st and crawl for days!

best of luck with your truck.....gotta love these old-timers!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Oh man, don't get too crazy with that truck doing something foolish like a Cummins swap. Not that doing a Cummins swap is foolish but those old trucks are getting very hard to find in unmolested condition. By the time you install a Cummins, a transmission that would live behind a Cummins, and then the axles to handle a Cummins there wouldn't be anything left of that truck.

If it where mine, I would add a power steering gearbox and pump, power brake booster and front disk brake axle from a 1971 or 1972 or even '73-'87 (and sway bar) then add a HEI distributor and call it good. At the most maybe add an overdrive transmission just to help with the highway cruising. 292's are great engines with great low end torque! I would love to have an old truck with a 292! Anybody can have a V8 and any farmboy with a welder can glue a Cummins in just about anything but 292's are rare! Don't ruin this truck please :drool:

…..or just sell me the truck and go buy yourself a Cummins truck :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles