1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I think port matching is good for squeezing out all you can, just not sure if its worth it in this particular application. I have had heads ported and polished before. Did it help, I guess, but not as much as I expected.

colierar

Observer
I think port matching is good for squeezing out all you can, just not sure if its worth it in this particular application. I have had heads ported and polished before. Did it help, I guess, but not as much as I expected.

I agree here. Its a straight six with low end torque. Put the split manifold on it, some new exhaust and drive it.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I agree here. Its a straight six with low end torque. Put the split manifold on it, some new exhaust and drive it.

That's one way. If someone were gonna go that route, they probably wouldn't bother with the electronic ignition or fuel injection.

But since the OP is already going a bit "overboard" (totally subjective - personally I like what he's done) on performance, and is going to pull the manifolds anyway, it's a small additional step to go through the head at the same time (and we both know what those 46 year old valve seals look like).

And if you're gonna go through the head anyway, it doesn't cost much (zero in my case) to port and polish. If the OP tosses 200 bucks at a good shop it'll be ported and polished and have a valve job and it's good to go for another 50 years.

And having the manifolds off anyway would be the time to get it done.

bjowett

Adventurer
These engines have three siamesed intake ports with head bolt bosses running right through the middle of each, it's weird setup and not the typical port job. With that said, there are tons of mods that people do to these heads, all well documented.... and the engine can be taken very far from its current low end torque state of tune. The EFI system you have is sweet, nice work... but the stock manifold and adapter are another choke point that is limiting things...specifically where the 1 barrel carb mounted on the manifold. Order that power manual I mentioned a few posts back.

snekvasil

Adventurer
intake

Ok, so from reading quite a bit more and talking more in-depth with some of you, I definitely think that (at least) an upgrade to the intake manifold and exhaust manifold would be greatly beneficial.

So here's the dilemma: where can I find an intake manifold that will also accept the Howell EFI? It's not hard to find a 2 or 4 barrel intake manifold, but that's not what I want, correct? Need some help...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
But don't take my word for it - I'm no expert on hot-rodding those 6-bangers. Ask bjowett what will work with those Stovebolt exhaust manifolds.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Do you mean you want an open plenum, a.k.a., single plane manifold? Instead of one with 2 or 4 holes in it?

Here's one that lists several adapter plates - including one for the Howell:

http://cliffordperformance.net/Merc...de=CP&Product_Code=42-4501&Category_Code=C250

Yes, that's what I meant. I found the Clifford Performance intake as well, but here's the bad thing: "This manifold requires a minimum of 390 cfm, and will not bolt onto your engine with the factory cast iron exhaust manifolds." It just seems like a PIA if it's not a direct bolt-on. But then again, I don't know much about this...

snekvasil

Adventurer
Update

I've decided to put a dual exhaust manifold to beef up the power...I don't think I'm going to change the intake manifold at this point. I'm not really going for a hotrod straight 6, but I would like to increase the engine's performance. The exhaust issue will be tackled at a later date as I have other fixes that are the priority right now.

About a week ago, I realized just how badly I need to upgrade the brakes. I was driving with a full load of wood and tried stopping at a red light. Bad idea. I should have just floored it and gone through the intersection. For those of you who have ever driven with drum brakes all the way 'round, you know what I'm talking about. It was not fun. Then, the same day, I almost rear-ended a car. Note to self: it takes a LONG time to stop when you are pulling/hauling anything that has only drum brakes. So next on the list is an axle swap. I'm getting an open knuckle Dana 44 axle with disc brakes. Should be here in a couple weeks.

dana44.jpg

Until the axle gets here, I'm going to do some fabbing work on the truck starting with the bumper. In my opinion, this is one ugly bumper. I don't really have the $ to have someone fabricate a new one, so I'm working with what I've got. The first step I took was to cut off the ears that wrapped around the corners.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

I measured and marked on the bumper and went to town with a reciprocating saw.

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

Next, I cut the ball plate off. I'm going to have my friend use his plasma cutter to cut a square in the middle of the existing bumper so I can insert and weld a hitch receiver. Should be much more clean looking. I'll add some D hooks on the back of the bumper as well for pulling purposes. On the ends of the bumper where I cut off the ears, I'm going to weld plate metal to cap it off, cleaning it up a bit, then paint the whole bumper black. Next, I'll add a swing out arm for the spare tire and some gas cans. The swing out part is for a later date...probably next spring.

IMG_0310.jpg

My buddy Chris and I were in a fabbing mood, so we started the bed rack as well.

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0318.JPG

The first two arches were the most difficult to do because we had to square them to the truck and ensure the top was level for the RTT. Then we added the cross members. We had to fish-mouth notch the ends to get a good fit and weld. Now that the hard part is done, I'm going to add some more supports. The end goal is pictured below (courtesy of someone on Tacoma World...I think Avid Offroad Fab made this).

IMG_0319.JPG

Also, as a side note, I just got these in the mail...not the child :sombrero: I'm waiting to install these new leaf springs when the new front axle goes in. It'll be a 2.5" lift. Can't wait to have new springs! The original ones are rather worn :bike_rider:

IMG_0285.jpg

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Man nice work . I really like this truck . The mods and upgrades are subtle but very good. Keep up the good work we will be waiting for the updates.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Man nice work . I really like this truck . The mods and upgrades are subtle but very good. Keep up the good work we will be waiting for the updates.

Thanks for the kind words...it's definitely a slow work-in-progress, but that's how these things go. Hopefully the next post will show a new axle, a 2.5" lift, the finished bed rack, and a nice looking bumper!

Bojak

Adventurer
Solid choice on the 2.5 lift. I'm a big fan of stock... but not. Look forward to seeing the progress.

millerfish

Adventurer
Glade you are keeping the I-6. Great power plant. If you look at the old I-6 Lancruiser motors you will see a very similar motor. The I-6 Chevy has great torque and dependability. Everything I want in an off road vehicle. I have had plenty Chevy I-6 over the years and there is a lot of performance parts you can get from these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz