New BFG All Terrain Design?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It looks good to me.

Maybe they will have a stronger sidewall?

Tire design technology has come a long way in 20 years.

I think they look good too. The tread blocks look closer to General Tires AT. There is a whole lot more "competition" in the AT world and if you are not evolving, you will be left behind. The newer generations of truck owners are a little more "new is better" oriented. This site being a bit of an exception as we have more "tried and true" types.

I've never had, nor heard of a single sidewall issue with the BFG AT. Duratracs? Those have weak sidewalls.

I did an unplanned side by side comparison of the BFG and new Toyo AT II last night in re-freezing slush type snow. Both test vehicles were JKU Rubicons. The Toyo was hands down better. BFGs were still good, better than most ATs in fact, but I think the new Toyo is awesome.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I like the new design. Shoulders are rounded a bit now. No rim guard though on the 315-75-16 e-rated ones I saw firsthand. They had a whopping 3900# load capacity.
If BFG can release an E-rated 315-70-17 that doesn't take a crap load of weight to balance,they'll sell well.

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I went from 6 of the BFG ATs to 6 Cooper STTs this year. Not much time on the Coopers as I put my snow tires on soon after I purchased them. If these BFGs were on the market I would have gave them a hard look. It came down to GY Duratrac and Coopers.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Sidewalls?

Maybe they will have a stronger sidewall?

I was taken aback by this comment. BFG A/T's are almost THE tire everything is compared to as far as tough and durable sidewalls. And the one reason I chose them is that their sidewalls are specifically designed to handle being aired down. Surprisingly none of the other manufacturers mention this in their write-ups and I would think they would in order to compete. That says something.

I've never had, nor heard of a single sidewall issue with the BFG AT. Duratracs? Those have weak sidewalls.

This is what I've always heard also.

colodak

Adventurer
My Dakota came with Goodyear Wrangler R/T, within 6,000 miles I gave them to my Dad and installed a set of BFG A/T's, they lasted 45K and the tire store resold them as used tires within a day for $40/ea, next set went 34K before a belt slipped in two of the tires, BFG replaced them. Next set went 43K and still had at least 10K left on them when upgraded size and wheel diameter. Current set are Load Rang D, with 20K on them and still look and work excellent. Not really a fan of the sidewall though, but I love my BFG's.

The Rugged trail have always been the more street oriented version of the BFG's.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I just out my third set of BFG KO's on my truck. They last right around 40k miles before I replace them. My only issue is when they are a bit worn, they get noisy and don't do well in be snow. If these new KO2's had been out, I would have given them a try. They look really good in my opinion.

Anthony

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I've had several sets of these on various rigs through the years so I suppose that means I'm a fan. Always had good luck with them. My favorites though, by far, were a set of LT255/85R16 All Terrains that BFG used to make back in the 80s; I think this the last time BFG made this size in an All-Terrain. 7 full plies in the tread area - and none of them steel. The smoothest riding tire I ever had for driving on dirt roads and I was really upset when it came time to replace them and I discovered they were discontinued. My current van came with them (LT285/70R17); they've got 45,000 miles on them now and look to be good for another 10k or so.

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
All of the Baja Challenge spec cars ran the new style BFG AT's at this last Baja 1000. I know some of the drivers of the class winning car, they were happy with the tires, no flats during the race. I got a pretty good look at them in our pits...the ones we had were just my size, was ready to get the tire machine out and swap my current KO's for a set of the new style. Sadly, that didn't happen!

What works in the desert may not work in your area, but I think BFG will continue the tradition of their AT's being the benchmark that the rest of the field is compared too.

I have long been a fan of BFG tires. I have had many sets of KO's over the years and they have been decent tires. I have had one blow out on the freeway, several have worn funny, but for the most part they are good tires. About two years ago BFG released the Rugged Terrain tire. I decided to give them a try because I wanted a tire with a longer tread life than the KO. I bought a set for my fullsize GMC Sierra and they were fantastic. They performed better than the KO in every way. I like them so much I have bought two more sets and started outfitting all of my rigs with the BFG Rugged Terrains. I would highly recommend the new Rugged Terrain as the new gold standard for an AT tire rather than the KO. Hopefully these new improvements bring the KO back and reestablish it as the best AT on the market.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I will agree with the fact that the Rugged Terrain is a fantastic tire. Tons of grip everywhere, wears like iron, and looks great. I had a set on my old Disco and I loved them.

Only potential downside is I think they only have a 2 ply sidewall.

I will agree with the fact that the Rugged Terrain is a fantastic tire. Tons of grip everywhere, wears like iron, and looks great. I had a set on my old Disco and I loved them.

Only potential downside is I think they only have a 2 ply sidewall.

To my understanding, the Rugged Terrain passenger "P" tires are a 2 ply carcass. The light truck "LT" are a 3 ply carcass. I have never had any issue with my Rugged Terrain LT235/85R16E tires. They are quiet, they have plenty of grip for overlanding and tall sidewalls soak up the washboard bumps.

jomobco

Now Decanter
Looks like they kept the outside of the MTR and stuck the inside of the AT in there. More mediocrity if you ask me. Never a big fan of either the MTR or BFG AT's. AT's traction and especially wet handing is fair at best and the MTR's don't balance worth a stink so it's not worth it to buy another set. It's THE tire for under engineering if you ask me.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
To my understanding, the Rugged Terrain passenger "P" tires are a 2 ply carcass. The light truck "LT" are a 3 ply carcass. I have never had any issue with my Rugged Terrain LT235/85R16E tires. They are quiet, they have plenty of grip for overlanding and tall sidewalls soak up the washboard bumps.

How true to size are your 235/85s? My Hercules' are about an inch shorter than they should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier