New BFG All Terrain Design?

How true to size are your 235/85s? My Hercules' are about an inch shorter than they should be.

I just measured them and they are about 32" give or take a little. They are a good little tire. If you are looking for a good tire with a 50K mile warranty, they are an excellent option. I put them to the test last weekend on the snow pack roads in the Utah's West Desert and they were great. I had no issues doing 50mph and navigating some of the icy spots. If you are looking to do a lot of rock crawling or mudding then you may want something more aggressive. Personally I need a tire that works well as a daily driver, but will perform well in overlanding situations.

Mack73

Adventurer
Wow didn't see this one coming.

My dad loved his old KO's but decided to switch to the duratrac's for visual appeal. But he doesn't like them quite as much.

I enjoyed my last set of KO's but found a couple times when they were letting me down in the slippery PNW so I went to the KM2's, but I lost a bit of on-road performance I was used to.

This looks like I (and my dad) will be giving these a go next time around.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Talked to a family member who is in the tire biz. He says that BFG does some special treads for the Baja and that they don't make it to the retail production line.
Any solid news that this version of the TAKO will make it out to the general public?

I am looking at a new set of tires in the new year. The BFG TAKO is tops on my list, but the Nitto Terra Grappler is looking very attractive to me. Mostly since I can gain some sidewall buying a 285/75-17. BFG only does a 285/70-17.

89s rule

Adventurer
I have heard from a very reliable source that there will be a new BFG AT this year. I have not personally seen the new tread so I cannot confirm those pictured in this thread will be the new pattern. I am going to patiently wait as well.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Waiting for the new ones as well, stoked to get a potential sneak peak though, my others have about 10k miles left which is about 9 months for me. Hopefully they release them for summer

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I hope we can get something firmed up before summer. I hope to be buying my next set of shoes this spring. Fresh for the adventure season around here. Right now I am convinced that the 5% taller profile Nitto is my choice. A new BFG TAKO tread might change my mind?

Desert Dan

Explorer
I just got this response from BFG...

"We appreciate your interest in the new BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO. This tire is tentatively scheduled for release the last quarter of this year. This is the best information we have at this time."

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Just personal preference, but I really don't like the looks of the new side wall. It seems too Bling like. I'm sure it will help with some extra grip here and there, but so would minor increase in the size and depth of the existing sidewalls pattern. Maybe, I'm just old, but the over stylized sidewall seems more show than go, even if it is functional. Sadly, I'm sure this minor tweak will increase sales drastically.

98GP

Observer
I just got this response from BFG...

"We appreciate your interest in the new BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO. This tire is tentatively scheduled for release the last quarter of this year. This is the best information we have at this time."

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

I wrote BF Goodrich an email soon after this thread was started, but have not had a response. In my email, I specifically asked if there was a plan to release this new tread design in a 255/85r16. I am not holding my breath, but thought it would be worth asking. ;)

I am shopping tires for my Excursion and I like the design. My tires a close to worn out and can probably wait for these tires to be released.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I always get a kick out of statements like "bought the tires based on looks", only to hear how poorly they performed. It's common sense folks....

As for the KO's, I have been through 7 or 8 sets and still feel they are the most versatile tire on the market. If they offer even less siping on the new design it will definitely be a step in the wrong direction.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Always had good service out of BFG offroad tires...hell BFG tires in general. in fact till a week ago everything in my stable had BFG on them.

Ive got a set of KO's on my 4Runner that are age checking (i need to check the date) but still plenty of tread. I bought them used for $350 7-8 years ago. Ive put 30K+ on them and I have no idea what was on them when I bought them. That light 4Runner just cane seem to wear them out.

Living in the Southeast we see a bit mud and soupy mud is the only time Ive wished for a MT but I have pictures of mud around here that cloged up swampers.

Just picked up a 80 series and it has a miserable set of firestones on it I already want to replace. Part of me wants to go for a MT but the past BFG AT's have performed so well in 90% of my needs and the reality is his is a DD first so the BFG AT's are probably my choice. Now the question is do I wait (if these tires will make it)for this new model AT

I use to have some contacts at BFG back when I did some event planning but I think they have retired. Have to ask around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior