New BFG All Terrain Design?

gwittman

Adventurer
I have well over 300K miles on 31x10.5-15 BFG ATs (approximately 70 K per tire) without a hint of cupping. When I switched to 32x11.5-15 Procomp MTs, I did start to get cupping around 25K miles. I think some of it was due to 11.5" wide tires on 7" wide wheels.

Reboot11133

Observer
I finally got mine installed. So far so good. I have only driven them on dry pavement but I feel more confident in the grip. Looks like ther is no rain in the forecast for the next few days so I will have to wait to see how they handle the typical conditions here on the wet coast.

Haakon

Observer
I had a set installed this morning, so far they've performed flawlessly...on the 15 miles of dry pavement and 1/2 mile of damp gravel driveway they've been on. :)

20150223_114535_Richtone(HDR).jpg

They definitely feel stiffer than the crappy Wild Country XTX tires they replaced with less feeling of the tire rolling over on corners. I ran 2 sets of the old KOs on my Suburban and had no problems with them, I expect good things from these as well, if even a fraction of BFGs claims about the new version are true it should be a good tire.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Does anybody have these in a 265/75R16?

My Grabber AT2s are awesome but they're a bit shorter than they're supposed to be. I'd love to get an actual real world measurement with a tape measure to see exactly how tall they really are. I know there is a calculated number and the manufacturer states a diameter on their sites, but I've often found them to be lying. My AT2s were supposed to be 31.6", but the ones I have are 30.5". So now I'm trying to decide if I should go to a 285/75 later on or stick with 265s in a different tire. Can anyone provide me with a real-world measurement?

Thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate it. :)

Fargo

Adventurer
... My AT2s were supposed to be 31.6", but the ones I have are 30.5".

I find it hard to believe they are off by that much. When you measure a tire, you have to measure it at full pressure when it is off of the vehicle. The mistake that so many people make is that they measure the tire from the ground to the top of the tire while it is mounted and has the vehicles weight on it. Of course it wouldn't measure out that way. No one ever said it would be. The mfg specs given on a website are the measured diameter of the unloaded tire at maximum psi on a given rim size. Any tire is going to compress and be shorter once it has the weight of the vehicle on it. I've never found any mfg specs to be off by any great amount when you measure things the way they do. Measuring an unloaded tire at maximum psi is the only way to be consistent.

Haakon

Observer
Does anybody have these in a 265/75R16?

My Grabber AT2s are awesome but they're a bit shorter than they're supposed to be. I'd love to get an actual real world measurement with a tape measure to see exactly how tall they really are. I know there is a calculated number and the manufacturer states a diameter on their sites, but I've often found them to be lying. My AT2s were supposed to be 31.6", but the ones I have are 30.5". So now I'm trying to decide if I should go to a 285/75 later on or stick with 265s in a different tire. Can anyone provide me with a real-world measurement?

Thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate it. :)

I find it hard to believe they are off by that much. When you measure a tire, you have to measure it at full pressure when it is off of the vehicle. The mistake that so many people make is that they measure the tire from the ground to the top of the tire while it is mounted and has the vehicles weight on it. Of course it wouldn't measure out that way. No one ever said it would be. The mfg specs given on a website are the measured diameter of the unloaded tire at maximum psi on a given rim size. Any tire is going to compress and be shorter once it has the weight of the vehicle on it. I've never found any mfg specs to be off by any great amount when you measure things the way they do. Measuring an unloaded tire at maximum psi is the only way to be consistent.

Mine are 265/75/16 and the front drivers side tire, measured from the ground with the full weight on it, is pretty much 30.5, right where you measured the AT2. I have no doubt they would be at the mfg spec of 31.6 if I jacked it up off the ground and measured.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well, it's not so much a mistake of measuring--when on the vehicle--

Most new off-road enthusiasts, will buy a 35" tire, because they feel that 35" vs there stocker 31" WILL RESULT in an AUTOMATIC --2" "LIFT", then are really dissapointed when that doesn't turn out-

Just as you say, measure it unmounted and you'll get pretty close to the advertised size--

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

nater

Adventurer
Just an FYI for you folks that want the new 34" size... Discount tire has them available for delivery a few days ahead of the release date (March 1st). Pretty good discount if you price match against the few internet sites that have them posted. I have them on order for a friday delivery :)

4x4junkie

Explorer

:sombrero: Well, it's not so much a mistake of measuring--when on the vehicle--

Most new off-road enthusiasts, will buy a 35" tire, because they feel that 35" vs there stocker 31" WILL RESULT in an AUTOMATIC --2" "LIFT", then are really dissapointed when that doesn't turn out-

Just as you say, measure it unmounted and you'll get pretty close to the advertised size--

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Some tires definitely do run significantly small (35" BFG MT KM2 is a good example):

tiremeasure.jpg

(a good .3" smaller than the 34.8" spec BFG lists on their site)

The old KM(1) measured 34.9". Why they shrank I don't know, but no doubt I was a bit bummed.

Haakon

Observer
I had a chance to get out and get the new KO2s dirty this weekend. I didn't notice any highway hum from them, a little on some secondary roads, it seems to depend on the road more than the speed. Did about 50 miles of forest service roads, mostly wet and muddy. No problems in the 3-4" of mud in places, even going uphill in 2 wheel drive - not a huge challenge, but not bad. These tires do seem to have less tendency for the back end to wander on washboard roads, less than the Hancook ATM or Wild Country XTX tires that were on this Tahoe, no changes to the vehicle from the XTX tires other than new tires.

We did get onto one rocky trail, up a 20+ degree slope according to the XClinometer app (about a 40% grade). Wet, slick, round rocks. Crawled about 1/4 of the way up this first slope before I started thinking about how crappy it would be to back all the way down if it didn't go through at the top and decided discretion was the better part of valor, especially since I was solo. A little bit of tire spin in 4 low but not too bad, even with the tires inflated to a rock hard 40 psi. I would have aired down, but my compressor is broken and I didn't have a way to air back up.

I would have liked to try them in snow, but we're having a terrible year for it and FS roads that normally would have had feet of snow had none at all.

Seat of the pants judgement is the KO2 is a noticeable step up from the ATM or XTX I've had in the past, no regrets on buying these - yet.

20150228_094343-Export.jpg

20150228_094237-Export.jpg

20150228_094014-Export.jpg

nater

Adventurer
Got a set of 34x10.5x17's mounted on my fj. Only about 15 miles on them, but look good and are very quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne