New BFG All Terrain Design?

Explorer
Good to know on the improved snow traction, I jumped ship to Duratracs only because they had such better snow/ice traction. Overall I think the BFG's are a better tire, especially if they improve the cold weather traction.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Anyone know when they'll be available?

I've tried and researched other tires and I don't think BFG KOs (or KM2s if the category is MT tires) can be topped as a tough all-around AT tire. Cooper is trying very hard to displace the KOs with three overlapping tires (AT3, ST, STMaxx, from inexpensive to expensive) and I know ExPo/OJ have called the AT3s victorious on more than one occasion. However, I seriously doubt the AT3 sidewalls can withstand the abuse of sharp rocks digging into them as the KOs do and from what it looks like the KO2s are even stronger. Bottom line though, all depends on the terrain and use, out here no mud, hardly any snow but tons of sharp rocks and boulder fields.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Anyone know when they'll be available?

I've tried and researched other tires and I don't think BFG KOs (or KM2s if the category is MT tires) can be topped as a tough all-around AT tire. Cooper is trying very hard to displace the KOs with three overlapping tires (AT3, ST, STMaxx, from inexpensive to expensive) and I know ExPo/OJ have called the AT3s victorious on more than one occasion. However, I seriously doubt the AT3 sidewalls can withstand the abuse of sharp rocks digging into them as the KOs do and from what it looks like the KO2s are even stronger. Bottom line though, all depends on the terrain and use, out here no mud, hardly any snow but tons of sharp rocks and boulder fields.

The AT3 and STMaxx share the same carcass and the STMaxx won the puncture resistance test in Aussies dirt mag. The Cooper sidewall includes a 3rd ply that is placed diagonal to reduce gappage in plys.

http://www.leichtstyres.com/images/CooperSTMAXX-test.pdf

"4WD Action's last tyre comparo tested Cooper's S/T-C and thirteen other all-terrain tyres under controlled conditions to find each tyre's ability to resist tread punctures. The Cooper was found to be the strongest and most puncture resistant.

The new S/TMAXX is even stronger! With its super tensile steel belts that are 15% stronger than normal high tensile belts and Cooper's unique Armor-Tek3 carcass construction, the new S/TMAXX is 66% stronger in the sidewalls and 2.5 times more tear resistant than the S/T and S/T-C."

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link. However, AT3s don't share the same carcass as the STMaxx; at least they don't have ArmorTek3 sidewalls like the STMaxx do. Did you see the KO2 tech video posted earlier especially at 0:49 where they showed the sidewall test? I was blown away!

Believe me I hate paying the BFG prices but they're tough tires with excellent road manners and the added peace of mind from their durability is worth it to me. I've been looking to move up to KM2s but I just may wait for the KO2s. My second option is the Cooper STMaxx. I've sworn off Goodyears.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the link. However, AT3s don't share the same carcass as the STMaxx; at least they don't have ArmorTek3 sidewalls like the STMaxx do. Did you see the KO2 tech video posted earlier especially at 0:49 where they showed the sidewall test? I was blown away!

Believe me I hate paying the BFG prices but they're tough tires with excellent road manners and the added peace of mind from their durability is worth it to me. I've been looking to move up to KM2s but I just may wait for the KO2s. My second option is the Cooper STMaxx. I've sworn off Goodyears.

I would love to see a similar video with the DuraTrac and the ST Maxx.....I am wanting a new tire other than my DuraTracs and I am very interested in this new KO2.... hopefully I can get a 265/70/17 C.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stioc

Expedition Leader
I would love to see a similar video with the DuraTrac and the ST Maxx.....I am wanting a new tire other than my DuraTracs and I am very interested in this new KO2.... hopefully I can get a 265/70/17 C.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strange I thought the KO2 video showed the Duratracs first against the sharp object, I think Trojan makes stronger sidewalls :D I'm just messing with you. Seriously though, I had Duratracs about 2yrs ago and I sold them after 5k miles (one trip to Death Valley and I had shallow cuts all over the sidewalls). They had more traction than the BFG KOs for sure but ultimate traction to me is a secondary requirement for an offroad tire.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm going with the Cooper ST Maxx. When I was at Advance 4x4 in SLC earlier this year, they had a van going to Australia and another going to Dubai. Both vans were ordered with the Coopers.

So you're going to buy tires based on what two random people spec'd for their rigs going to two continents that you don't live on, and can't drive to?? Not exactly logical...

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Well Im glad they kept the basic tread block geometry as I think that is one of THE key secrets to these tires successfulness. The other key reason I selected the original A/T KO tires is BFG repeatedly states that they are DESIGNED to be run aired down. With my Duramax weighing down the front end I worry about these things. I was worried that the new KO's would be worse than the original but now I think I'd try a set of these.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I'm really happy to see the KO2 is Severe Snow rated. There aren't many offroad/allterrain tires out there that meet that standard. The Goodyear Duratrac does, the General Grabber AT2 does, but the Coopers and Falkens and most others do not. That alone may be what drives me to consider the BFGs over the Coopers.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
why is that? its the same tread with just a little different side wall...I am going to say that it will wear and ride exactly the same as the current tire.

There is sooooo much more that goes into tire design than tread pattern. Compounds, belts, sidewalls...I bet pretty much everything about this tire has been tweaked at least a little, as tire design has come a long way since it first came out. And the tread pattern isn't the same anyway, to my eye the tread blocks are similar in shape but not the same, and the void spaces are a bit smaller, and most likely they are now spaced variably for less noise.

hurstjd

Adventurer
I've also read quite a few reviews on them and had decided on them before I went to SLC. Seeing them in person and seeing that others are outfitting their rigs with these tires confirmed my decision. Of course, I'm only a computer programmer and logic isn't something I have to use on a daily basis. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles