Surly Big Dummy

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Update

I've had some questions about how I transport the dummy. For a while, we just put it in the back of the van, however we recently modified a Thule hitch rack by having a welder simply extend the tray by 12 inches. It works really well and is just inside the mirror width of my Sprinter van.

image.jpg

Singlespeed92

Observer
I really think a Surly Big Dummy will be my next bike. Finding one used is proving to be relatively difficult though, which drives the awesome opportunity to BUILD one. I'm probably kidding myself on the actual knowledge it will take to put one together, however the idea of being able to tweak all the little pieces to make a super cool kid hauling, grocery getting beer carrying adventure bike has captivated my imagination.

Build details I'm considering:

FAT BIKE wheels! (not practical or very road worthy, but they are COOL for sure)

DYNAMO hub (don't know why, but powering things with my wheel seems like an awesome idea)

Jones Loop Bar (has anybody ridden these? They look awesome)

Xtra cycle makes for ENDLESS possibilities of customization...

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy

Now I'm going to start adding up the cost of all this stuff, I'm sure the cost will be significantly more than just purchasing one already built....

Who has one? Post up pics!!!!

Butch

I have an Xtracycle (it's disassembled and will probably be sold now that I have a Surly Troll built up for touring/mtn bike camping duty),fun bike,you'll love the Dummy :D
As it sat before it's first tear-down

How it actually sits in the workshop currently (will be torn down and most likely put on eBay...I simply have no use for it now/where I live/with the Troll) on a 1996 Specialized Hard Rock I picked up off CL

They are great bikes...I always wanted one when I lived in Seattle which was a bit more bike friendly than where I live now.

edit I should say bike commuter friendly...the big dummy would be great for shopping/home depot runs

I just dug out an old steel shogun prairie breaker frame that I picked up a few years ago. I was thinking of stretching the bike with the xtra cycle...thing is the frame is already a long wheelbase...would be like a limo

Do it! They're FUN and useful (if you live in a place you can fully use one-I o longer do sadly)

Anybody have experience transporting a big dummy on a bike rack? The major reason our tandem doesn't get ridden much is because of the difficulty of transporting it.

I hauled mine Xtracycle in a minivan when I had it,but hauled it ONE time on the back of my wife's Camry with a hitch-rack (older style,with the 2 bars that the top tube would rest on,not the kind with wheel mounts/straps)...on the Camry,it hung well past the edge of the car on both sides...wasn't a pleasant trip down the highway,LOL,but there are much better ways to haul one,I'm sure :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles