Frozen ARB Simpson III Hoops

jeverich

Luddite
My Simpson III has been kick ***; had it out in - 5 degree weather in Montana a few days ago..

However - there is one problem with it..

The extendable hoops (on the entry way annex and roof hoop). I'm sure they have more technically apt names.. When in cold weather, they will bind and will not extend without considerable effort. Originally, I was assuming that some water had worked it's way in after spending a night out in the wet - although most recently it was definitely just temperature contraction of the aluminum. After struggling with it and (trying) to push them out with my feet, I gave the main tubes a couple taps with my crescent wrench and it extended, yet I'm not sure if that can be considered a permanent fix?

Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue, and what you did to fix it?

Thanks,

Jake

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
How old is your Simpson III? Any idea which rendition it is? A, B, C, D? Admittedly those are letters I use to classify the many running changes on the SIII tents, one of which was upgraded bows on the early models. Do yours cam-lock (pull-out & then twist to lock open) or do they have the thumb screws? Do you know if your bows have the fiberglass reinforcement inside the aluminum hoops?

I'm suspecting you have some earlier parts, if so I'd use some teflon dry-lube on the hoops to keep it from getting sticky.

jeverich

Luddite
Thanks for chiming in Kurt, was hoping you'd reply...

I have the cam-lock hoops, although don't know if there is fiberglass reinforcement inside of them. I do know that they wouldn't budge no matter how hard I pulled on them - only when I gave the main tubes a couple taps with a crescent wrench did they finally free themselves up.

Other than that, the tent has been pretty flawless - in conjunction with a good bag and my Mr. Buddy JR, it's been a great cold season retreat..

Just made it to Rhode Island following a marathon cross-country drive (WA to RI). Spent one night in Miles City, MT (-6 F). Wal-Mart parking lot, too!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'd plan to pull the tubes completely out, allow to dry and hit them with some teflon type dry lube. I can't remember the name of the stuff we use in the shop but it has proven very useful on the old style thumb-screw as well as the cam-lock mechanism. I believe it is actually the cam lock that is freezing up on you and seeing as it never comes all the way out of the tube, it never has a chance to dry off any of the moisture that can build up with just normal use. I'd give it a quick blast as well as the sliding portion of the tube, it dries clean so the areas that are exposed when open won't rub off or get clothes dirty, etc. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-Stick-Dry-Film-Lubricant-Aerosol/dp/B003UTX0R8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke