Are any of the Android topo apps one time download apps?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
In other words, do any of the Android Topo applications only require a single download that includes topographic data so I don't have to regularly download map data for each new trip?

I really enjoy using Scenic Maps on my iPad and especially like that in comes with all the topo data for each region you purchase and doesn't require me to download each area I want to visit.

TIA.

pfreeman

Observer
80 views and no replies? Wow. Guess they don't make one for android or if they do it's quite obscure.

I don't think such a thing exists. If you think about how much data that would be in 24k topo it would be a HUGE app to download and would take up too much space on your android. I currently use the Delorme Earthmate app paired to my Inreach and like the ability to download and delete regions on the fly.

JimBiram

Adventurer
I dont believe one exists. I chewed up most of a 32gb chip and I have only a few areas in so cal. I think the ultimate solution with Back Country Navigator, is to set up multiple chips for different areas. Topos have so much graphic data for 24k maps.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 4

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've found that although they're nice, 24k maps aren't necessary for me on this but what must be there are all the established trails or at least most of them.

Scenic maps on ios is a great example of how it could be done. Western US for example is only 1.8gb and shows topography data although I'm unsure what the resolution is for it.

Just wondering cause I want to migrate away from iOS and currently this is stopping from doing that on my 4x4 trips.

xicofixas

i have a modded version of MOBAC (mobile atlas creator) with google and bing map sources, when i need i just create a map for the area i want to the format i want, usually backcountrynav. usually the nav app like BCN or oruxmaps have a size limite for creating maps with the app itself so using mobac i can create bigger maps even tho it has a limit, but its higher.

Finlay

Triarius
I dont believe one exists. I chewed up most of a 32gb chip and I have only a few areas in so cal. I think the ultimate solution with Back Country Navigator, is to set up multiple chips for different areas. Topos have so much graphic data for 24k maps.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 4

Just a tip - if you are using BCN with an external SD card, get a card reader and format the card on a PC for 16k or 32k cluster sizes. The maps will take up much less space on the SD card that way. More info here.

theksmith

Explorer
i believe the OP is looking for an Android app that reads *vector* topo maps for the US. unfortunately, on Android there is currently no great option for this. nearly every "topo" map/gps app on Android uses *raster* tile-based maps. most even use the same free map sources, with a few offering paid-for maps or proprietary variations of public map sources. highly detailed raster maps are always going to take up a ton of space and therefore time to download.

Delorme, Garmin and Magellan are about the only companies with good vector-based topo data. i assume they all source it from similar bigger providers but then put their spin on it. the problem is none of them have created Android apps to work with their proprietary maps yet. the exception is Delorme, but my understanding is you have to have to own their InReach device in order to use their Earthmate app. i don't have the device so i can't say if the maps are the same as their PC US Topo series (which are great).

OruxMaps (free or $2.62 donation version) seems to be the only app working towards a vector-based solution. it's primarily a tile-based app too, but they have been developing support for the Garmin ".img" format. it still doesn't render the maps anywhere close to how Basecamp or a Garmin device would though, in fact i find them unusable personally. you also have to jump through a couple hoops to get a file from somewhere like GPSFileDepot.com into Orux as a single map.

there is a completely different vector solution gaining steam, geo-referenced PDF files. the app PDF Maps from Avenza shows promise, but it's very young and doesn't have a ton of good maps for purchase yet. it's one of those technologies that could become the gold standard or might completely disappear into obscurity. some volunteers in Colorado are working to keep up-to-date versions of all the MVUMs available in this format: http://www.staythetrail.org/mvum/

now for "road" maps, there are several popular vector-based apps including CoPilot, Sygic, and TomTom. i use CoPilot for my on-road mapping and navigation and it's pretty good. the entire US including route and POI data is under 2GB and is a one-time download (plus free updates). it actually has most forest roads, but i still like to have topo maps in a separate app in order to see old tracks, mines, cabins, and the terrain features.

side note - if you have an iOS device, check these out: http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/products-page/mobile-apps/ - Benchmark's printed Road & Recreation atlas are my favorite maps hands down. i'm eager for these to come to Android and hopefully have more states available soon too.

sorry for the long post, hopefully it helps someone!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks for that! I appreciate you clarifying my request for everyone else.

It's really too bad nothing's available yet. I even bought an Asus Transformer ($150 on Woot) to use but I guess I'll let my sister have it and will stick to the IOS platform for now as there are options available that support vector based maps and some like Scenic Maps offers full download of entire swaths of N. America. Although they aren't full high res data, they seem to do the job most of the time and when they don't I will also have MotionX downloaded for the area I'm in and also have a Garmin handheld with Topo Maps in use to help supplement what's missing.

theksmith

Explorer
i believe the OP is looking for an Android app that reads *vector* topo maps for the US. unfortunately, on Android there is currently no great option for this. nearly every "topo" map/gps app on Android uses *raster* tile-based maps. most even use the same free map sources, with a few offering paid-for maps or proprietary variations of public map sources. highly detailed raster maps are always going to take up a ton of space and therefore time to download.

Delorme, Garmin and Magellan are about the only companies with good vector-based topo data. i assume they all source it from similar bigger providers but then put their spin on it. the problem is none of them have created Android apps to work with their proprietary maps yet. the exception is Delorme, but my understanding is you have to have to own their InReach device in order to use their Earthmate app. i don't have the device so i can't say if the maps are the same as their PC US Topo series (which are great).

OruxMaps (free or $2.62 donation version) seems to be the only app working towards a vector-based solution. it's primarily a tile-based app too, but they have been developing support for the Garmin ".img" format. it still doesn't render the maps anywhere close to how Basecamp or a Garmin device would though, in fact i find them unusable personally. you also have to jump through a couple hoops to get a file from somewhere like GPSFileDepot.com into Orux as a single map.

there is a completely different vector solution gaining steam, geo-referenced PDF files. the app PDF Maps from Avenza shows promise, but it's very young and doesn't have a ton of good maps for purchase yet. it's one of those technologies that could become the gold standard or might completely disappear into obscurity. some volunteers in Colorado are working to keep up-to-date versions of all the MVUMs available in this format: http://www.staythetrail.org/mvum/

now for "road" maps, there are several popular vector-based apps including CoPilot, Sygic, and TomTom. i use CoPilot for my on-road mapping and navigation and it's pretty good. the entire US including route and POI data is under 2GB and is a one-time download (plus free updates). it actually has most forest roads, but i still like to have topo maps in a separate app in order to see old tracks, mines, cabins, and the terrain features.

side note - if you have an iOS device, check these out: http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/products-page/mobile-apps/ - Benchmark's printed Road & Recreation atlas are my favorite maps hands down. i'm eager for these to come to Android and hopefully have more states available soon too.

sorry for the long post, hopefully it helps someone!

i stand corrected, this site offers topo maps in vector format that can be read by OruxMaps and Locus: http://www.openandromaps.org/en/downloads

they contain contour lines and many small tracks. unfortunately it still doesn't have the level of historical detail that the scanned USGS topo maps do (i.e. mines, tanks, cabins, old jeep tracks, etc.) - but if you're truly just looking for a terrain map in small vector based one-time downloads, this fits the bill better than the Garmin map format renderer in Orux currently, IMO.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Would openandromaps be able to be read by backcountry nav? oruxmaps on my tablet is not at all accurate.

overl4nder

Observer
I am an oruxmaps user, and I believe this is the closest you can get. The app is developing very nicely, and img file support should be coming in fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior