1975 Suburban

swamp_beast

dont be alarmed its not electrical its a faulty float in the tank my 76 did exactly the same thing on mine i ended up going through the floor as mine has a class 6 tow package welded to the frame in 12 places as well as the 1/2 inch thick tank skid plate so dropping the tank was a worse option for me

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Thanks Jim!
As you could imagine with a 39 year old vehicle, the wiring on this Beast is a rats nest! And just having shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago, I haven't had a chance to dig into things. I will check those things out for sure. The headlights and the gauge lights also "pulsate" when on, any ideas there? Thanks, Fran

Fran

I'm a bad one to ask for advice on electrical troubleshooting.

I do know that loose and/or dirty hot connections and grounds can be major pains to troubleshoot. My standard operating procedure on my '86 is check and clean every connection I run across while working other issues.

re: headlights and dash lights pulsating - if the vehicle has a voltmeter (and it is a real meter not an idiot light masquerading as a gauge) does the voltmeter fluctuate with the pulsation of the lights?

Jim

WhiteEvo

Observer
Hahaha! I'm in the same boat! I dread wiring/electrical issues!

I know a lot of the wires are old and brittle! I just ordered a new dome light wiring harness...when I bought it, the front dome light housing/wiring was burned up and melted...I tried to take it apart, but the wires are so old and brittle, the bulb clips pretty much broke off...I dont like messing with old wiring and will replace any harness with a new one when possible.

As far as the voltmeter, it only has the stock meter and it does pulsate. I'm about to get it ready for new body mounts and a 1" body lift, I'll check out the wiring to the sending unit as part of the fuel gauge problem, hope its not a bad sending unit Swamp Beast!

Thanks for the help and info guys!

Last edited:

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Nice Burb. When you are ready to tackle the harness, I will help. It's not quite as bad as it would seem to do, but definitely looks scary. Check out Ron Francis for a harness. Better than the Easywire imo...

WhiteEvo

Observer
Knee deep in a urethane body mount install with a 1" body lift, will get some pics up soon. If anyone has any tips or tricks please post them.
Thanks!

WhiteEvo

Observer
Got some new/used goodies at the wrecking yard! ☺
2a2ebyga.jpg
5e7eqyga.jpg
ejeqy4ar.jpg
ygy9uvym.jpg

Got the horn piece, no broken tangs! A mint drip rail with chrome trim for the rear barn doors, 2 trim pieces for the rear cargo area and a mint, rust free spare tire recess! I love the wrecking yard! ☺

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

WhiteEvo

Observer
Got some new/used goodies at the wrecking yard! ☺
2a2ebyga.jpg
5e7eqyga.jpg
ejeqy4ar.jpg
ygy9uvym.jpg

Got the horn piece, no broken tangs! A mint drip rail with chrome trim for the rear barn doors, 2 trim pieces for the rear cargo area and a mint, rust free spare tire recess! I love the wrecking yard! ☺

This weekend I'll get them all cleaned up and installed!

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Thanks FCM! Her name is "The Beast"! Do you have any pics of your Suburban?

"The Beast"? Just where did you ever hear a name like that? Definitely haven't heard that one before... :rolleyes: Nice find though. You'll have quite a list before long and lots of good help here when you need it.

WhiteEvo

Observer
"The Beast"? Just where did you ever hear a name like that? Definitely haven't heard that one before... :rolleyes: Nice find though. You'll have quite a list before long and lots of good help here when you need it.

Hahaha! I hear ya BBslider001, my girlfriend named it, it seemed fitting ;-)
The list is very long for sure!

WhiteEvo

Observer
While removing the headliner to replace the dome light harness I found this cob-job! uploadfromtaptalk1398030638982.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398030725479.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne