How to tell if broken attend is powered?

mike5

Adventurer
I've decided to fix my broken antenna. The actual mast is broken with nothing obvious in the hole. Apparently there are different antenna options on the Montero. I looked in the owners manual for a antenna fuse but saw no mention. When I turn on the stereo I don't hear a motor either. So short of pulling the fender liner is there any other way to figure out what kind of antenna I have? ( powered vs manual)

JamesW

Adventurer
Is there a switch to lower your antenna to half way next to the steering column?

It would look a bit like this

Pajero-Shogun-MK2-ELECTRIC-AERIAL-SWITCH-120906881061.jpg

TBH i'd get rid of the power antenna,it's only a pain and gets broken in no time at all

mike5

Adventurer
Hi James,

Thanks for the info. I've never seen that button. But I did figure out a few things.

In my case, someone had unplugged the wiring harness from the antenna motor so it would not keep working. As soon as I hooked it up it started to work. The way the Montero is, when you tun the radio on or off, a relay kicks on (under the stereo, you can hear it) that activates the antenna motor. So now I need to order a OEM antenna mast.

Since I had to remove the fender liner, I broke a few clips. Can anyone give me a part number or name/size so I can get some more? Please see pic for reference.

photo.JPG

SoCalMonty

Explorer
AFAIK, US-Spec vehicles did not get the button to lower the antenna. They came up when you turned the radio on, and went down when you turned it off.

Mine snapped off, and I've replaced it with a 14" flexible antenna. Well...I bought the replacement antenna...I haven't actually replaced it yet. lol. :)

Check to see if there's a fuse listed for the antenna. I don't see many manual antennas on US vehicles (I've only ever seen power in the junkyards). I'd guess it's a power antenna.

cnutco

Adventurer
I do hate the way it switches on and off with the radio. Even when I listen to my IPhone the damn thing comes up.

I plan to install a switch that replaces the relay somehow so I can be in control of the antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike5

Adventurer
Off Roader,

The dealers finally pissed me off enough and I got ASA loaded up. Took 5 min but I think I got my answer: MB406894

Off to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully buy a few clips.

With the general lack of info on the internet for Montero parts I'm going to be using ASA quite a bit.

Thanks again (I know you've told me many times to get it).

Mike

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Mike, yeah dealers are very adept at doing that LOL... I'm sure the ASA program install was relatively simple and painless right? Plus now you don't need to rely on those dealers just for a part number.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The mast on my rig broke off as well...
I ordered an OEM replacement and was able to install the new mast without digging into the wheel well.
Remove the bezel.
With the radio powered, offer the end of the new mast into the hole and have someone power down the radio.
The new mast will load into the motor.
I installed a switch that controls the power to the mast. Now it only operates when I want. (great mod IMO).

Last edited:

mike5

Adventurer
Off Roader: the install was painless. There is a window that shows up during the install which tells you which options to select.

Inyo Man: I had to dig into the wheel well to 1) connect power and 2) remove the broken piece left in the spool.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Off Roader: the install was painless. There is a window that shows up during the install which tells you which options to select.
Ok. Yeah I know how the install goes as I've installed it onto multiple pc's at home and at work. Its funny how so many others are so resistant to installing it on their system and instead rely on others to tell them the part numbers they require.

Same goes for downloading the pdf's for the various FSM's although I can totally understand if they have a slow internet connection.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Do you have a write up on this? I have been wanting to do this for a while now!!!

Sorry, I'm not very good at writing up installs in the step-by-step fashion with photos...
However, I tackled it like this:

First, pull the radio and identify the power supply to your mast.
Next, splice into the wire and run it through a switch (I used a low profile rocker switch and mounted it in the recessed area below the ignition side of the dash).
Finally, test and then reinstall the radio.
I recall it taking about an hour or two, including the new mast install.
HTH

cnutco

Adventurer
Sorry, I'm not very good at writing up installs in the step-by-step fashion with photos...
However, I tackled it like this:

First, pull the radio and identify the power supply to your mast.
Next, splice into the wire and run it through a switch (I used a low profile rocker switch and mounted it in the recessed area below the ignition side of the dash).
Finally, test and then reinstall the radio.
I recall it taking about an hour or two, including the new mast install.
HTH

THANKS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke