97 F-350 CCLB build:

Seabass

Idiot
I haven’t listed it yet. I believe I will. I want to put stock bumpers on it and strip off the stuff I want to keep. I may change my mind before I hit the “post” button. But I doubt it. I have a truck in my possession that could literally sell for twice what it’s actually worth. It’s pure economics. Plus....my best vehicle is 22 years old. I have two of those rascals. How often can you sell a vehicle that you’ve owned for many years (and used) for more than you payed for it? One of the biggest thoughts I have to deal with....I have a beautiful specimen of an obs. But I hate to drive it in the winter. It’s hard on the 7.3 to start. I refuse to get it in salt. But it’s my best truck. Sometimes I just need it. Kills me. I feel like I’m driving a collectors item and damaging it. I’m not in a place in life to have a super cool vehicle sitting to only use on the best days. I need my money working for me. It seems wise to let it go and invest the money it brings into a vehicle I can use without stress...

I’m thinking this through as I type. Trying to rationalize any good decision I make. Everyone has an opinion. Including me. The thing I keep telling myself is this....if I sell the diesel I get to have a much newer truck that I couldn’t easily afford without selling it. One that might suit some of my needs better. And I STILL HAVE A COOL OBS FORD that I’ll drive every day. It just ain’t a diesel. But still a crew cab long bed 1-ton. Why is it that some of the simplest decisions are the hardest to make?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Personally I tend to sell off my stuff when it feels too special to actually enjoy.
Done that with quite a few rigs over the years.

If you, and the market dictate it is too special to actually use and enjoy, let it go.
At least for me, the last thing I need is a tool I'm afraid to use, in fear of damaging it.

Chorky

Observer
Woah I came back at an interesting time! Selling the OBS?? After reading your thread, and going through a few things the last couple weeks myself I must say I see the reason it is a thought. Thought it would be sad to see the diesel go, and as much as I hate to say it, your probably on the right track for a good decision by parting with it.

I haven’t listed it yet. I believe I will. I want to put stock bumpers on it and strip off the stuff I want to keep. I may change my mind before I hit the “post” button. But I doubt it. I have a truck in my possession that could literally sell for twice what it’s actually worth. It’s pure economics. Plus....my best vehicle is 22 years old. I have two of those rascals. How often can you sell a vehicle that you’ve owned for many years (and used) for more than you payed for it? One of the biggest thoughts I have to deal with....I have a beautiful specimen of an obs. But I hate to drive it in the winter. It’s hard on the 7.3 to start. I refuse to get it in salt. But it’s my best truck. Sometimes I just need it. Kills me. I feel like I’m driving a collectors item and damaging it. I’m not in a place in life to have a super cool vehicle sitting to only use on the best days. I need my money working for me. It seems wise to let it go and invest the money it brings into a vehicle I can use without stress...

I’m thinking this through as I type. Trying to rationalize any good decision I make. Everyone has an opinion. Including me. The thing I keep telling myself is this....if I sell the diesel I get to have a much newer truck that I couldn’t easily afford without selling it. One that might suit some of my needs better. And I STILL HAVE A COOL OBS FORD that I’ll drive every day. It just ain’t a diesel. But still a crew cab long bed 1-ton. Why is it that some of the simplest decisions are the hardest to make?

It is a hard decision!!! I have been thinking lately about both my truck, and my jeep. I love them both. You all know how much I have put into the truck lately, and the jeep has a ton of sentimental value to me. However, now that I have moved, and getting more 'settled' have been wondering if continuing to put money into these vehicles is a wise decision. It's always hard to make a decision like that because once it's gone, it's gone. But. I think you have put out all your pros and cons...and althought the diesel is a diesel, I think the gas is more suitable for you for many reasons. The diesel seems to be more of a weekend grocery getter to me, for your purposes anyway.... And the cold starting, that's something I've been thinking about myself now that winters will be sub zero for many months.

Personally I tend to sell off my stuff when it feels too special to actually enjoy.
Done that with quite a few rigs over the years.

If you, and the market dictate it is too special to actually use and enjoy, let it go.
At least for me, the last thing I need is a tool I'm afraid to use, in fear of damaging it.

I totally agree with this statement. I suppose for those who have plenty of money to let things just sit and never use how they are meant to be used. But, I do think theres a difference between 'using' something, and just bashing something. Using - things might be damaged or wear out early. Bashing - is a whole different ball game.

Last edited:

Seabass

Idiot
It would be an easy decision if I didn’t actually like the old diesel truck. It’s perfect in nearly every way for what I set out to have in a truck....except maybe the manual transmission. When I set out to buy a crew long obs diesel I assumed it would be auto. Most were. But I’d been drooling over this particular truck for several years when suddenly it popped up for sale. I was ecstatic to own it. I still am. I wish it had a flat bed and a Detroit. That’s it. No more work would I do to it. It’s the collectibility and inflated value of the truck that may have it in the chopping block. In case you haven’t noticed...I’m struggling with the correct decision. I like it. I want to keep it. It suits many of my needs. But....It’s worth too much. I can replace it with a much newer one. It must go. It has things I don’t like. Yada yada yada.

I can’t do anything till I gather the stock bumper for the front and get it stripped of the things I want to keep. Since I’m finally having dry weather I am very busy with summer hay working on the farm. So it’s going to be a week or more before I can even be serious about selling it- or talk myself into keeping it. Since it will take that long to prep the truck. In the meantime I fret the decision every day. But more over I keep going back to letting it go. But I’m enjoying all the opinions and input from all of you. A very heart felt thank you to each of you that have taken the time to post on my thread! There’s more good people here than anywhere else I’ve been on the Internets. I knew I’d get some sound insight. I’m sure there will be more. And I’ll continue to piss and moan over the decision till it’s finally made.

gtbensley

Explorer
Well I understand where you are coming from, thinking of doing a similar thing with my 4x4 7.3 van actually.

Keep the home built work truck though, that thing is awesome.

Ole Chipper

Must be a regional thing with the OBS F-350's. Cause I have 3 diesels in WI and no one wants them. Advertised them for sale and not one reply?? Maybe time to take a trip to CA.

Attachments

• DSC02318.JPG
    DSC02318.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 45

Seabass

Idiot
Must be a regional thing with the OBS F-350's. Cause I have 3 diesels in WI and no one wants them. Advertised them for sale and not one reply?? Maybe time to take a trip to CA.

I see these old trucks listed very often crazy high priced. We’ll see what happens. It’s a great old truck and I’m happy to keep it If I can’t get a good price out of it. Like I said earlier.....for me, if I can sell it and end up with a newer gas powered truck paid for it’s a win. But if I can’t get close to even then I’ll just keep rockin what I got. Obs trucks are cool.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

Market is different everywhere.

Market value for my 1996 here in North Idaho is pretty good,
but not nearly as good as CA.

advertising them in CA isnt a terrible idea.

Seabass

Idiot
3e1d93d17aa63c1a907957959d391e3f.jpg
25d21bc6688d8dfbd4142b972055ace3.jpg

It sure looks different. It’s listed. We’ll see what happens.

Seabass

Idiot
A buddy who does Facebook put it on some obs group. I don’t do Facebook so I don’t know which one. I think it’s sold. I have a guy coming with cash in hand after seeing about 50 pics of it. I’m assuming it’s gone....even though it’s still in my driveway. I’ve had a lot of interest in it.

We will see. I’m getting excited though because I’ve located several 6.2 Super Duty trucks that will be in my price range. A new adventure can begin. I will also do some things to my other 460 powered obs now that I’m not trying to do 2 of them. It has lots of potential to be even better and more -all around capable- than ever! Plus....it’s my only source of transportation till I find another truck. So it’s gotta get all the love!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Good luck!

You should be real happy with the 6.2 truck.
What year trucks are you eyeing right now?

Of course they have a few negatives, but compared to an OBS PSD, they are a massive step up in both capacity and refinement.
The 6.2 has also proven to be a solid motor. And with similar torque, but twice the horsepower (just at different RPMs) its a great truck to transition to.
More and more do I see 7.3 guys stepping into 6.2 trucks.

Seabass

Idiot
Good luck!

You should be real happy with the 6.2 truck.
What year trucks are you eyeing right now?

Of course they have a few negatives, but compared to an OBS PSD, they are a massive step up in both capacity and refinement.
The 6.2 has also proven to be a solid motor. And with similar torque, but twice the horsepower (just at different RPMs) its a great truck to transition to.
More and more do I see 7.3 guys stepping into 6.2 trucks.

Idasho- I hope I’ve made a good decision. I think I have. Currently I’m looking at 2012-2015 trucks. All are 120-150k. One truck in particular is a 12 model. It has 150k on it....which is the most I’d want. But- it has aftermarket bumpers front and rear. It has 4.30 gears and factory locker in the rear. It has no gooseneck ball or fifth wheel, so it likely hasn’t been used to haul hard. It’s a long bed extended cab. It’s even a base model (rubber floor!!!) with power windows. I’m thinking I’m going to overlook the higher mileage it’s got and try to buy it if it seems sound. Otherwise there’s SEVERAL like yours. I’ll come home with one fairly quick. But the one I mentioned is the only 4.30 and locked truck. ALL the others are 3.73. I can live with 3.73....but I’m planning on 35-37” tires and prefer the lower gear set.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne