97 F-350 CCLB build:

98dango

Expedition Leader
I feel your pain try having a camper topper and 26' pull behind. We have the on going problem of what to keep what to sell. Last year we used all of them once basically. Then we throw the fact that one day I want to bring my scout. We have even talked about a customized home built solution but really that's a lot of time and money. So as of right now we just have a full yard.

98dango

Expedition Leader
And for your viewing

IMAG3493.jpg

That is a Superduty with a 26 foot in Moab yes it cost me a rear bumper.

attachment-8.jpeg

And the camper honestly hard to load not much space

Seabass

Idiot
Surly, Pappa. Thank You. Hind sight's twenty twenty, right? Knowing all that I know today I might not have bought the slide-in. My shell set up is pretty dang good. We've done 4 nights in a row a few times. Showering is the only issue- but that isn't hard to overcome. I guess I'm just struggling because I've already got the slide-in. I think having the bumper pull as a home base and at the same time have the shell prepped for staying in might be a good answer. I could travel to an area and get a camp site and in hook the bumper pull. Then if I see a trail that's no trailer or I want to go exploring over night I'd have that option. Hmmmm.....that looks good on paper- or iPad. A second option that is possible but not likely is to take the ole work truck with the gas engine and leave the slide-in in it all the time. I've been considering upgrading it to a dual wheel diesel with a flat bed. I seriously considered a engine swap- but it's not worth it for me. Right now I'd re-man or rebuild the 351 that at present is healthy. It's got 300k on it and won't sell for much- so I could keep it with the slide in for some closer weekend trips. Ahhh, red neck problems! Doubt I'll do that- it's just hard to have a truck to drive for every occasion. I've considered a structure to remove the slide-in. However, there's still the issues of the shell (that I really like having on the truck) and dealing with hand tools, cables, recovery equipment, etc to move around. As I re-read this entry it's looking like I may have already decided what to do. Granddaddy always said time takes care of everything. I may have to let a little more pass and I'll figure out what's best for me. In the meantime- thanks again guys.

Seabass

Idiot
And for your viewing

View attachment 256153

That is a Superduty with a 26 foot in Moab yes it cost me a rear bumper.

View attachment 256154

And the camper honestly hard to load not much space

Too funny- I was updating while you posted. I saved my post and when it took me back to the thread I see your post. I can see your dealing too. I like your setup and I'm really leaning towards selling the slide-in. Overall it seems like it may have more pros than cons. I think I can make some profit on the slide in too- that helps. I've done a good bit if work to it and it's pretty dang good for what it is. Seems like you and me think a lot alike. Thanks for the help.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ya I own it all and all has a purpose. I like the camper when the scout comes in. But we are more like you a topper and pull behind for big trips. I could not ever sell my pull behind it was my wife and I first home for 2 years.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've spent years in the mechanical design business. You learn quickly that everything has advantages/disadvantages that you have to weigh. Perfection only exists in nature.

Seabass

Idiot
I've spent years in the mechanical design business. You learn quickly that everything has advantages/disadvantages that you have to weigh. Perfection only exists in nature.

I spent a long time lusting a fantasizing about having a setup like what I have, and yours too. I've had camper shells over the years but never a slide in. I'm disappointed that I'm disappointed. But I understand your point. A slide in just maybe isn't that practical for a guy like me who puts it in his dd. Now I know. Maybe some day I can easier dedicate a truck to carry a slide in as it's primary function- maybe even my ole 97 PSD. But until I get a little farther along it's not really in the budget. It'll work out- because if nobody buys my jayco I won't have to worry about buying a bumper pull anyway!!!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I agree that if you could have one truck that all it did was hold the camper life could be good. I honestly dream of a ambulance as my camping truck. Like a motor home just smaller.

Bojak

Adventurer
Camper shell 4 trips. Pull behind for small vacations. Only way I could do a slide in would be in a dedicated truck. I personally am not in a financial position to have a truck that is only for one thing. I would guess that most own a truck do to the versatility, slide in would limit it's versatility. Just my 2 cents.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Camper shell 4 trips. Pull behind for small vacations. Only way I could do a slide in would be in a dedicated truck. I personally am not in a financial position to have a truck that is only for one thing. I would guess that most own a truck do to the versatility, slide in would limit it's versatility. Just my 2 cents.

My slide in is cake. Electric jacks and some 3/4" plywood "X" stands and I HO from "motorhome" to pickup truck in about 5 mins.

98dango

Expedition Leader
It literally takes 2 hours to get my camper on my truck. When it was stock this could be done in ten minutes. Now 4" of lift and 35s it s no fun. Fastest way is to put it on a trailer go to shop lift it with a car hoist and go home.

Seabass

Idiot
It literally takes 2 hours to get my camper on my truck. When it was stock this could be done in ten minutes. Now 4" of lift and 35s it s no fun. Fastest way is to put it on a trailer go to shop lift it with a car hoist and go home.

I'm in a similar shape. These OBS 350's were tall bone stock. Mines got a few inches of lift and 35's as well. I have to put blocks under the jack legs on my camper to get it in the bed. That isn't fun- it's kinda wobbly way up in the air like that. It's no ten minute job for sure.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Exactly I fear for truck and camper. If I had a stock truck it would be easy. I have thought of building a platform or some thing but them when I have to pull it on the road what then.

Seabass

Idiot
So my wife is being very "opinionated" about these bigger campers. I'm pretty sure if I don't buy one I'm gonna be sleeping in one! It looks like right now that I'll be putting the slide in up for sale in the spring. Bummer. But I can't justify two. Plus the slide in will pay for most of the cost of a bumper pull or fifth wheel. I'm voting for bumper pull so I can keep the topper for all the before mentioned reasons. So I decided to do an upgrade. The truck has ran fine- but I always thought it had more power to be utilized. So I bought a TS six position chip. It doesn't have any special tunes- just the ones from TS. It's stock, high idle, 50hp, 75hp, 100hp, & 140hp. I took the super chip off and put this one on about a week ago. BIG difference. But it's still no cummins. That's fine. I can honestly say it runs better till I use the 140 setting. I think it looses power here. I don't think I can get enough fuel to feed that tune. But the 75- my favorite- is really snappy and the 100 is even better- but it smokes more. I don't care for smoke (been there done that- smoke us for little boys with ego problems). I think I've got a fuel pressure issue though- it stumbles and almost misses sometimes a when you flat foot the pedal. If I ease into the throttle it's smooth even power. A mechanic buddy of mine said something about a valve that could go bad that might cause this. I gotta look into that. Otherwise- I'm down for the bigger camper!!! Bring on the mountains!!!!

Bojak

Adventurer
Pull behind to keep the topper is the route I would go. Your rig looks great with the topper. Most squares do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles