Anyone wheeling a 55?

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Anyone else have a lot of love for the ugly duckling of the cruiser family? I wanted one since the day I saw one in person. Two years ago I was finally able to find a good one and bought it. Now it's just been sitting waiting for me to have enough money to restore it.

I had originally planned on keeping it 100% stock. However, the more I think about it the more I can't get around the fact it's really the better long distance "expedition" type cruiser in my fleet. As much as I love my 40... storage space is pretty aweful and add a wife and a dog and were going to have stuff strapped on the hood and the fenders to bring it all.

I have a rebuilt "F" 155 for it sitting in my parents garage... but right next to that is a 101K 2F that I was going to put into my 40 to replace the 350. Now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't swap the 2F into the pig and give it a 5 speed and a slight shackle lift and use it more for long distance travels. I'm pretty torn... I love the 40 so much I want to use it, but the pig makes a lot more sense in just about every way.

Anyway, here are pictures of my pretty blue pig. Currently unnamed as I have not really got to know it yet.

1012352_10200489346581095_903890503_n_zpsc98756e5.jpg

1005943_10200489349061157_1294698686_n_zpse6df5a45.jpg

970073_10200489348181135_422691531_n_zpsfff54d1e.jpg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
That a great looking pig. Not wheeling ours, but it's still earning its place moving snow on our property!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 31

lovetoski

Observer
I love 55's. Almost bought one...but too much rust. Still thinking about it. No question though that it's a better expo rig than a 40...especially for a couple. Longer wheelbase is more comfortable, and lots more room.

Expedition Leader
Good find, have fun with it. I have always wanted a piggy. Lots of of folks on Mud wheel them.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I heart 55's and have owned a couple over the years, none were clean enough to really hang onto though they have all ended up in loving homes (takes special home to love a pig :D)

Your 55 looks like a great builder. Here is the way I would look at it... if your going to restore it, restore it. Don't do a hybrid motor or bucket seats, etc, keep it original. If that isn't a goal or priority, build it to use. The 2F/H55F is a great combo and I've driven my FJ40 all over the western US with that same combination, zero complaints. It is a tractor and the fuel mileage and speed reflect that but with the H55F I can still maintain comfortably highway speeds and it is bomb-proof reliable. Add an OME suspension, larger tires and some protection (bumpers/sliders/skids) and you would have a very comfortable setup. For 'overland' purposes, the FJ55 is hard to beat, 4 door, comfortable to drive (relative to a 40 for instance) and plenty of cargo room. While some 55 specific parts are getting harder to find, anything drivetrain/steering related is shared with the 40 and still widely available around the globe.

mattafact

Adventurer
My neighbor has a couple 55s. He's been all over Mexico with his first one. Took the whole family out for a month in it. I want one so bad.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Please don't modify that. They are so rare. And seeing a stock one is a treat :).

That's my feeling too... I bought it to restore 100% stock and it was such a great start being complete and relatively rust free (other then those fender holes there is none). Only shows 14K on the clock... suspect it's 114 but that still is pretty low miles for a 40 year old truck. Strangely, the motor was shot. Everything on it is in really good shape, switches are tight, everything works, shifter feels tight like a new car. We thought it had a nasty rod knock. Spent at least 10 years sitting in the desert in Nevada until I bought it. I got it home and wondered how bad the engine really was. So I dropped the fuel line into a fuel can and put a battery into it and it fired right up! It was amazing... rattled like hell and it was pretty clear the motor was toast.

Strange thing though, when I took it apart, it was not a rod knock at all. The block is in really good shape. No lip or major wear. Cross hatching is still on the cylinder walls. The cast part of the head that holds down the valve train was shattered. When I took the bolts out it just crumbled. Very weird thing to break.

Either way, I have a brand newly rebuilt 155 waiting to go in it. Just have been busy with the 40 getting it all back into shape and haven't had a chance to start on the pig.

Broncers

Love my pig. My daily driver is a 80 and I really like it, but once my Pig is up to the task I would much rather drive it(So good looking). The body is in pretty ruff shape, I have been working on the drivetrain since I got it. Just pulled the engine and re-sealed it up(350 sorry guys) Its back in place just need to hook every thing back up. I have been working in a barn in south east Idaho its a little cold this time of year so its been slow. Before I pulled the motor I did a few trails, nothing crazy but I love driving the thing. 55s are by far the best looking cruisers :)

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Ok, now you guys are bumming me out. I want to drive mine, but all I can do is make engine noises and turn the steering wheel. I can't even sit in it yet! One of these days.

Lucy FJ55

Observer
DO IT! And don't look back. :wings:

I love old pigs and have been wheelin' em for years. They are everything you already mentioned and more. I love 40's and all other Cruisers too, but for overland travel, hauling the family and gear, wheelin', camping, putzing around, need more space, want more creature comforts, etc... they'll do. :)

Attachments

• sourdough 045.jpg
    sourdough 045.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 24

hairy_apple

Adventurer
OH, sooooo nice Lucy Fj55. That is my personal favorite color of 55, although my blue is close behind. The first one I ever saw in person was that green and I just fell in love. Too cool.

I'm still torn on what to do. I love the idea of overlanding my 40... but the 55 makes a lot more sense and is kind of a blank slate. If I do modify her, it won't be radical... just the 2F and 5speed that was going to into the 40. Going to keep the overall look stock if I modify it.

Lucy FJ55

Observer
Yep, I think that's a great plan... but of course I'm a bit biased! :)

Please keep us informed of your progress!

OINK! OINK!

abruzzi

Adventurer
I had a 1971 for a few years, and I love them. They take a lot more work than other LCs due to rust problems and parts rarity. I hated getting rid of mine, but I had worked myself into a positions where all my vehicles were project vehicles. So I sold almost all the vehicles I owned including the 55 and bought a LX450 and BMW 1150GSA.

This is what it looked like when I bought it:

DSCN0929.jpeg

and ended up looking more like this:

fj55.jpg

(I know...not much different, but everything on the 55 was so $$$)

Geof

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles