Utility Body Trailer - Post Build Tour

loren85022

Explorer
Cap't, the trailer hosts everything cept personal gear. We usually keep bags in car. It's stays fully prepped in the garage.

Sent from my iToaster

Avis

Love this! We were at the expo this weekend and got so many good ideas... This one is our favorite so far. That'll fit in our budget anyways

loren85022

Explorer
I got to expo sat eve. We were desert camping Friday night and just enjoyed it longer than expected. At expo we stayed with my buds who drive old steel. Amazing how many new trailer dealers were at expo. Lots of cool ideas. I suspect someday we'll see more shops selling DIY trailer kits. It's just too fun to build'em along the way.
pevyzava.jpg
vyjyvera.jpg

Sent from my iToaster

Last edited:

steelheadbum

Adventurer
Loren,

Looking great bud!! I just picked one up myself yesterday, had to drive 15hrs total to get it home but well worth the drive

Ok found this custom built 1984 trailer just by chance and couldnt help myself!! After a long 15hr trip to and from Grants Pass OR yesterday here is my

M.P.U.T
"multi purpose utility trailer"

IMG_20140602_084110_365 (1).jpg

IMG_20140602_084241_221.jpg

IMG_20140602_084126_389.jpg

IMG_20140602_084254_403 (1).jpg

Just ordered my RTT so now Vatonka will be able to offer lodging for up to 8!!
Hope to have it looking like this soon...

a4equ6yd.jpg

Party on...
Buck

Last edited:

AZ_Ray

Observer
Loren, if you could give me some info on your trailer it would be greatly appreciated. How much does it weigh and what did you register for weight. TIA

If everything goes right this bed will be in my garage on Friday morning.
I know it's a full size box but I need the larger area/storage(family of 5)
Also it needs some work, I'm very good at that kinda stuff.
I wanted this one cause it will match the body lines of my Excursion.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
AZ ray cool find! Do a build blog when you start the trailer.
I heard the company that made these was in trouble with FORD because they matched the body lines without permission.

loren85022

Explorer
I really like that late model look. I est the dry weight at 750 at the time I registered it. At the time it was bare bones. DMV didn't weigh it. I rolled in, they kicked a few tires, paid $89 and she's got a lifetime tag.

Pls relay me your build thread. BTW: a buddy is selling a sweet full size fiberglass tub if this one falls through.

Sent from my iToaster

ikk

Adventurer
Well been looking around for a trailer to house all my camping stuff as well as using it if need be to haul stuff. I was looking at 4x6 utility trailer with some high walls and thought of adding some lockboxes above the fender. Then I came across this.

service trailer.jpgservice trailer3.jpgservice trailer 2.jpg

the bed is 6.5 long and made from fiberglass. I do not know the other dimensions at this point. Of course everything I find is always a distance and this is no exception. about 2.5 hours. It looks very similar to Loren85022 service bed. they are asking $500. I am still debating, as I am not a welder. Both my neighbors dable in welding but are no experts. One has a Mig and the other has acetylene. Is this a project for me or should I move on? I work with wood and love to learn new things but at the sametime I dont want to get over my head after spending that kind of money.

Attachments

• service trailer 2.jpg
    service trailer 2.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 775

loren85022

Explorer
Having a friendly welder will be essential. Especially to build the frame. Honestly, if $500 for the tub seems pricey, this may not be smart project. You'll need $2,500 min to get even the basics onboard. That said, I loved building mine. And we love using it. It makes our trips all the more an adventure.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I searched along time if found on in that price range it was either too rusted and abused or for a small and my atv wouldnt fit it. Then found already made into a trailer for 750 so got it. Even with rust it has i can use as is til i can hook it the way i want. Just keep searching youll find one to fit your needs.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

loren85022

Explorer
Let me preface this comment by saying I in no way consider myself an expert on trailers but as my private mail is nearing the max of 200 and they are all asking about the same thing, here goes;

I found my body on craigslist. I paid maybe $350 for it. Knowing what I know now, for a good fiberglass body, I'd spend up to a $1,000. Getting the right body is essential. As well, I'd buy it almost anywhere and consider the journey to getting it home part of the fun. I still look for bodies on occasion. I search for terms like service body, utility bed, etc. I dont search using 'fiberglass' as often the best buys come from people who have no clue the materials. They just want it gone.

IMHO, a full size body is too big. If its purpose was for a family to venture along maintained roads and spend time at camp grounds AND you had a V8 or diesel, then perhaps. But they'd be too big to wrestle back into the sticks. And too heavy to man-handle when those switchbacks and deadend trails require disconnection.

Old bodies from the 'minitruck era' are my preference. Mine is only 7' long. I think its from the mid-80's when Toyotas and S-10s were in style. The fiberglass body is lighter. Mayby 50-75% of the steel body. But its also very easy to modify. I dont see many for sale and most are up in the northeast regions.

I think Dinoot Trailers is on to something good. I'd bet they introduce something akin to a utility style body soon. But for sure you could modify their current model. The ability to start a trailer build with a light new tub is appealing, especially if youre pulling with a V6. If I didnt have 70 odd project all needing my attention, I'd probably build another trailer with their tub. I'd add a front compartment for the fridge, and put alum boxes on a rack above the tub to simulate a utility body. It wouldnt hold as much but I know it would be functional and durable, and fun to build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier