LR4 19s, Load Ratings and the Cooper Zeon vs Wrangler Adventure

Bhos

Adventurer
OK, as we all know there are piss poor choices for LR4 19" tires and it appears that only the Adventure and Zeon fit...but neither are LT in 19". Not a tire expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Wranglers have a standard passenger load rating...which is basically equivalent to a LT B or C? Heck, the Contis have a XL, as do the Cooper Zeons. Other than tread design, it appears the Contis are a better tire than the Wrangler Adventures. This leaves me with the Cooper Zeons as the only choice for 19" wheels and light to moderate off roading. Am I breaking this down correctly?

And no, I don't want to spend the money on 18" wheels, new TPMS and spacers.

Eniam17

Adventurer
I have been wondering same thing about the Wrangler Adventures w/ Kevlar. They look like an interesting tire but can anyone comment on the load rating, or has anyone run them on an LR3/4?

Bhos

Adventurer
Given the lack of info and seemingly poor load rating for the Wrangler Adventure, it seems that the Cooper Zeons are the only choice. Goodyear did themselves a disservice by making the Adventures fit passenger tire specs. Because so many sedans roll with AT tires.... :coffeedrink:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Load rating is on a per size basis. Thinking the low end for LR3/4's is 109. My 2011 LR4 with 20" wheels came with Yokohama Parada Spec-X with a load index of 109. Ride quality was smooth. Off road they were mediocre and 20" wheels are completely inappropriate. When towing a trailer I could feel the back end of the LR4 squirm as sidewalls would flex since it was a passenger car tire.

I went the 18" LR3 wheel route and considered the LTZ's as they had a load index of 120 in 18". Note that for the 19" LTZ load index is 111, not much of an increase over 109. The XL tires are P-metric that can be inflated to a higher pressure. In the end I did not go with the LTZ's because of their low rated snow performance and I wanted a load range E for towing.

Appears the selection of tires is really limited by the 19" wheel.

Bhos

Adventurer
Well, 19" and 20" wheels are both completely inappropriate!

Load rating is on a per size basis. Thinking the low end for LR3/4's is 109. My 2011 LR4 with 20" wheels came with Yokohama Parada Spec-X with a load index of 109. Ride quality was smooth. Off road they were mediocre and 20" wheels are completely inappropriate. When towing a trailer I could feel the back end of the LR4 squirm as sidewalls would flex since it was a passenger car tire.

I went the 18" LR3 wheel route and considered the LTZ's as they had a load index of 120 in 18". Note that for the 19" LTZ load index is 111, not much of an increase over 109. The XL tires are P-metric that can be inflated to a higher pressure. In the end I did not go with the LTZ's because of their low rated snow performance and I wanted a load range E for towing.

Appears the selection of tires is really limited by the 19" wheel.

nick325i

Adventurer
I tried to buy the Wranglers at discount tire but they wouldn't install anything with a lower load rating than factory so I went with the Coopers.

The added height of the Goodyears would have been nice, but I love the Coopers.

Eniam17

Adventurer
I can't understand why GY makes the Wrangler AT w/ Kevlar in a higher load rating for the 18's than in the 19's. This is basically a tire that would NEVER go on a vehicle that isn't relatively heavy, nothing smaller than mid or full size SUV, so I don't understand what they are thinking. I am still debating trying them on my LR3 with 18's but I can't find anyone who has an opinion on them based on experience. I think the Coopers will be great for you

Bhos

Adventurer
GY Wrangler Adv AT update: Avoid if you do any moderate wheeling. I have lost 2 now due to sidewall punctures, and only one could I possibly see occurring. The OEMs withstood greater punishment. Now, for snow and ice these tires did great!

The Googyear Duratrac in 255/55R19 were developed specifically for the LR4 - a good number of Discos in South Africa now running these

LRNAD90

Adventurer
The Googyear Duratrac in 255/55R19 were developed specifically for the LR4 - a good number of Discos in South Africa now running these

Has Goodyear started to offer them in the North American Marketplace in this size? Last time I checked they had not, and TireRack doesn't list it as an available size..

EDIT: Well, it looks like Goodyear is listing this size as availabe on their US website now, so maybe..

brickpaul65

Adventurer
I am considering the the duratracs for my wife's L322. It has 19's. Unless I can find a set of the LR3 18's for cheap or I end up with Lucky8's 17's on my LR3...

Eniam17

Adventurer
I still haven't been able to find a supplier who can find these in the system even though the website advertises that they make then for NA market. Has anyone else?

A.J.M

Explorer
Duratrac's are a great tyre.

I've had a set of 255/55/19 on my D3 for 16 months and 20k now. A mate has them on his D3 and between us, we have driven on pretty much every off road surface Scotland can offer.

They find good grip in snow and icy conditions, they are M+S rated and mine have the snowflake symbol on the tread blocks. I've never really had any issues with braking or steering in these conditons, you are aware the D3 is a heavy car so i left suitable braking distances between cars and was early on brakes to junctions etc.
Sand is no issue for them, my mate launches his boat off a beach and simply reverses the D3 down the sand to the water and drives out with no fuss.

They are good in muddy conditions and have self cleaning treads to a point, i have managed to clog them and get stuck in mud before but no tyre is perfect.
They found better grip than GG AT tyres in the same size pattern so i was pleased.

They do however, have rather weak side walls so if you do loads of rock crawling in places with sharp points, i would take care.
On the road they are MUCH quieter than the old MTR tyre, said mate tore the sidewall on his and used my MTR spare to get him home. You could hear the MTR over the others very clearly.

I've found the general road manners to be very good, turn in is crisp and i can still throw the car about with plenty of commitment to corners without fear of understeer.
Standing water is no issue with the tread design, Scotland does get it's fair share of rain and the local motorways have sections which are really bad for standing water and the D3 takes them in it's stride.

I can get a set of 4 fitted for £780, which at todays exchange rate of 1.70 makes it $1322.80
Not sure if that's good, average or bad for US tyre prices.

I will be needing another set by the end of July/Aug time and will be fitting another set to the car.
I would give them a 8/10 and would recommend them as a good all rounder tyre for both on road driving and off road use.

A.J.M

Explorer
I think I just have a duff set.
There were a few D3 owners who bought our sets at the same time, others are getting much better life and so e are on course to hit 40-50k from a set.

I am going with changing them at 3/4mm tread depth as by then they are pretty much spent for off road use but would serve for road tyres for a few thousand more miles.

I also have an off road competition that the D3 is entered in for November, my mate and I got a surprisingly good position last year in what is a school run spec HSE... There are a few people who were annoyed at being beaten by a "shiny" so new tyres are going on for that. I have more defender drivers to show up! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier