Help with new iPad air nav

Hula

Observer
I have a new iPad air with cellular and downloaded Motion X drive GPS ap to check it out. I have map for about a mile then nothing, although still tracking the vehicle on a grid so I know the GPS receiver is working. Do I have to have a map downloaded in the device for it to work without cellular? Is this with all navigation aps on the iPad?

nickburt

Observer
It depends on how good the cellular signal is, if you have a good 3 or 4G signal, it'll load and maintain the maps as you go. Of course, you using large amounts of data doing it this was.
If you have plenty of memory, the best way is to download the maps onto the Ipad and then turn off mobile data once you're on the move.
Not sure in the States, but over here in the UK, mobile data is still a bit expensive for continual usage, we also have daily limits, above which it gets really expensive.

In Motion X, there is a function to download maps for off line use:menu, setup, map downloads and follow the instructions.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
The one thing I dislike of Motion X GPS is the slowness of downloading maps even when on WIFI with a fast connection. But other than that con, I like Motion X GPS over my Garmin 62s. The detail and quality of maps on Motion X GPS surpasses the Garmin.

Oh, I'm on an iPhone version of Motion X GPS. I'd like an iPad Mini or iPad, but just haven't gotten myself to plop down the money for it as I'm still testing the waters of various GPS apps on the iPhone.

RobRed

Explorer
Let's not confuse Motion X GPS Drive with Motion X GPS HD... Two different apps two diff functions.

Drive is a network connected app designed for turn by turn directions. GPS HD is designed primarily for way point navigation and can be used on or off network with cached maps.

If you create a route in Drive it will cache maps needed to get you turn by turn.

Take a look at my iPad navigation FAQ.

NetDep

Adventurer
Let's not confuse Motion X GPS Drive with Motion X GPS HD... Two different apps two diff functions.

Drive is a network connected app designed for turn by turn directions. GPS HD is designed primarily for way point navigation and can be used on or off network with cached maps.

If you create a route in Drive it will cache maps needed to get you turn by turn.

Take a look at my iPad navigation FAQ.

WOW!! That is an amazing FAQ and thank you so much for creating it!! I did NOT know the difference but do now!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles