Lift for '01 F250 PSD and 35s??

EricU

Observer
I have a '01 7.3L PSD 4x4 F250 that I have had since new and now have about 180,000 miles on it. Since I am shopping for a PSD 4x4 Excursion, I have decided to also keep my '01 instead of also buying a new truck, since:
  1. It is paid for
  2. Rebuilt tranny
  3. Runs great
  4. Has an Edge tuner
  5. Different Turbo (don't remember which one)
  6. 4" Exhaust
  7. Updated Stereo
I am currently running LT285/75-16s on the stock aluminum rims and need new tires. I want to go to 35s on new rims, either 18" or 20" (not sure yet) but probably 20s.
What lift do I need to run the 35s?
  1. Icon's 3" hanger system says it only clears 34" tires
  2. Do I need a 4" lift?
  3. Should I be looking at some other lift??
Thanks for any help.
Also, if you have some pics, please post them -- I have already wasted too much time today looking through other threads on this forum!!!!!

wallace2000

182287_1551823926660_1020443_n.jpg180645_1551826126715_4129649_n.jpg

thats an Icon 4" lift with 37s. I had to trim the front bumper to clear them but other than that there is not rub. 35s would run fine on a 4", you may be able to clear them with a leveling kit as well but I can't confirm that with any experience. The 4" was a good choice for me because it is a simple install, leafs front and rear, shocks, drop pitman arm, drop bracket for your panhard rod bar and drops for you bump stops. No extended brake lines, though i would suggest them down the road but not 100% necessary, and the steering doesnt need any extras.

If you have an exhaust that cuts out behind your tire though you may have to modify it to clear the leafs, I had to cut about a foot off of mine

Raul B

Explorer
whats your budget? you can fit 35's with a leveling kit no problem.. we do it all the time.. i recommend a hanger/shackle kit if your trying to stay inexpensive.. Procomp makes a good one for a lil over 200 bucks.

for comparison sakes...
here was my truck with a leveling kit and 35" tires
IMG_0530.jpg

then a 7.5" kit with 37's
meandtruck.jpg

-Raul

EricU

Observer
whats your budget? you can fit 35's with a leveling kit no problem.. we do it all the time.. i recommend a hanger/shackle kit if your trying to stay inexpensive.. Procomp makes a good one for a lil over 200 bucks...

The budget isn't the first concern as I want, well it all; good ride, handling, no problems with towing a 7,000+ lb wakeboard boat etc etc.

But then again, I don't want to just throw money away.

What are the pros and cons of the shackles vs. the leaf/rear blocks vs. the all leafs? And I am sure this has been answered a million times, but every time I open another thread it leads me down another rabbit hole and I end up killing a couple of hours!!!

Raul B

Explorer
BTW, I saw in one of the other threads, a lifted white Excursion with your decals on the side, LOVE the lifted X with "Stealth" on the side...

Thanks.... yah i miss that excursion. i sold this truck and bought the excursion afterwards... overall i miss this truck the most..

as far as your lift is concerned whats the max height you want to go with? if money isnt an issue i would suggest going with a ICON kit. or if you want to go 1 step further i would go with a 4 link coilover conversion...

EricU

Observer
Thanks.... yah i miss that excursion. i sold this truck and bought the excursion afterwards... overall i miss this truck the most..

as far as your lift is concerned whats the max height you want to go with?

This truck is a little more of a work horse, so probably 4" max with the 35"x12.50-20s. Then the X (which I am still looking for) will probably go with a 6" (5" truck) lift and same tires

...if money isnt an issue i would suggest going with a ICON kit. or if you want to go 1 step further i would go with a 4 link coilover conversion...

I don't want to go down the coil over route.

• So now, all leafs or blocks in the rear? What are the pros and cons (besides cost) in actual usage?

Raul B

Explorer
hm... are you going to be using the truck offroad at all? you have a few diff options...

im not a big fan of stacking blocks in the year.. if you went with blocks in the rear then i would go with a single block. i recommend ORU or PMF blocks.. they integrate the u bolts through the actual block which make sit stronger.

if you go with leafs then your rear end will be a lil softer.. which is good for daily driving but if you decide to tow anything heavy then you will need to get Air bags in the rear.

if your not going to be doing a ton of offroading i suggest traction blocks.. both ORU and PMF makes these...

hope this helps answer some of your questions.. .

dave1014

Adventurer
That bumper company went out of business. But addictive desert designs and nfab make similar ones

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I would suggest an Old Man Emu 2.5" full leaf kit. I put one on my '01 F-250 and the ride is night and day better than the stock set up with a leveling kit in front and It easily clears 35's. The last page or so of my build thread "Waltzing Matilda" has some recent pictures of the set up.

EricU

Observer
hm... are you going to be using the truck offroad at all? you have a few diff options...

im not a big fan of stacking blocks in the year.. if you went with blocks in the rear then i would go with a single block. i recommend ORU or PMF blocks.. they integrate the u bolts through the actual block which make sit stronger.

if you go with leafs then your rear end will be a lil softer.. which is good for daily driving but if you decide to tow anything heavy then you will need to get Air bags in the rear.

The truck is mostly used as a runaround truck and pulls a 7,000 lb wakeboard boat and on rare occasions pulls an equipment trailer (~16,000 lbs) but the equipment trailer is pretty rare as I have a couple of F550s for that purpose.

if your not going to be doing a ton of offroading i suggest traction blocks.. both ORU and PMF makes these...

hope this helps answer some of your questions.. .

Not much off road (almost none?) except work related.
What "traction blocks" are you talking about? Are those the traction bars? And if so, is their main goal to prevent spring wrap?
Currently I am leaning towards the Icon 4" spring front with blocks (Icon/ORU/PMF?) in the rear.
What about shocks and brakelines?

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have 35s on stock rims with stock suspension no levelling kit. Now my truck is a 5.4 so they sit taller in the front less weight.

My plan was 4" icon and still is. I needed tiers sooner than planned so 35" stock worked.

Raul B

Explorer
The truck is mostly used as a runaround truck and pulls a 7,000 lb wakeboard boat and on rare occasions pulls an equipment trailer (~16,000 lbs) but the equipment trailer is pretty rare as I have a couple of F550s for that purpose.

Not much off road (almost none?) except work related.
What "traction blocks" are you talking about? Are those the traction bars? And if so, is their main goal to prevent spring wrap?
Currently I am leaning towards the Icon 4" spring front with blocks (Icon/ORU/PMF?) in the rear.
What about shocks and brakelines?

here is PMF stuff http://www.pmfsuspension.com/Individual-Components-and-Upgrades_c_36.html and yes its to prevent axle wrap... if you do full springs in the rear you will have axle wrap.... i know there is a video of someone with a 4" kit with axle wrap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles