Seafoam Engine...

madizell said:
My point exactly. Any engine cleaning or motor vac for $69 total cost is not going to include pulling injectors. Nor should it.

No comment about Ford. Mine have all gotten over 150,000 miles without issues, but heck, who is keeping track?

I don't know how the dealerships do it and I don't plan to find out since I have never had a good experience with one.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I used Seafoam in the Sub. Mileage was down and the idle was rough, even with a clean TB. The mileage from that tank with the Seafoam in it sucked. Shortly after several other changes were made to the vehicle so I've no idea how much (if at all) it affected the mileage, but the idle has been good ever since.

ntsqd said:
I used Seafoam in the Sub. Mileage was down and the idle was rough, even with a clean TB. The mileage from that tank with the Seafoam in it sucked. Shortly after several other changes were made to the vehicle so I've no idea how much (if at all) it affected the mileage, but the idle has been good ever since.

I will have to ask the guys at the shop what they think of Seafoam. If it's all it's cracked up to be then it might be good to use after the big move.

madizell

Explorer
Way back in the dark ages, I used to use carb cleaner to clean the intake, upper cylinders, and such, with much the same result as the Seafoam Wars video. Since all but one of my vehicles is now FI, I haven't used the process in years, and I don't force feed FI engines with cleaning products. I have used Seafoam in the fuel tank to clean injectors, and it has had a beneficial effect, but still not the same as you might expect from a professional injector cleaning.

Perhaps one of these days soon I will do the choke and smoke routine on the carb on the Buick V6 in the old CJ5 to see if it improves efficiency, but right now it is running well as it is (a bit rich but still lots of gusto) and I hate to fool with it.

njtaco

Explorer
I'm bringing this to the top because I'm curious...has anyone else used water to decarbon a running engine? I worked on boats for 10 years...certified in this and that, etc. so I have seen a lot of good, and a lot of bad mechanics. Many techs would de-carbon a carbureted gasoline (duh) engine by dripping water down the carb at a high idle (about 1500 rpm or so) for a half hour or so. This was pre-internet, so anecdotal evidence was slim, but it was generally accepted as a valid procedure that produced results.

Does anyone here have any insight on this? It obviously won't clean injectors, but what about combustion chambers? Could water be safely introduced into a fuel injected engine to net the same result safely?

madizell

Explorer
Water injection has been used as a means of increasing HP output in WWII aircraft, and probably lots of other applications as well. Whether it would also tend to clean carbon from combustion chambers, I don't know. Dribbling water into an engine won't hurt it. If you ingest too much, it will simply extinguish the spark. We are talking dribbling here, not garden hoses. You don't want to hydro-lock the engine, but if you are dripping water in with a small squirt bottle or something of the sort, you won't hurt anything by trying it.

Brett M

Adventurer
I did two can's through the intake manifold over the weekend and I honestly can't say that I've noticed a difference. I'm going to snag another can when I fill up my tank and run it through. Maybe that'll make a difference. :shakin:

Superu

Explorer
B12 Chemtool

There's a 233+ post thread on Seafoam and B12 over at subaruoutback.org.

I had picked up a can of B12 Chemtool last week to clear up a hesitation on my snowblower and decided to add the remainder to the Subie.

It's been 3 days and 200 miles and I have to say the idle has smoothed out, the car is more responsive at higher rpm's and it pulls more easily above 80 mph than ever before.

Best $2.99 I've spent. Going to try the PCV inlet treatment next to clean things up a bit more. :wings:

jatibb

Adventurer
it all depends on the layout of the intake, personally running thru with fuel seemed to work the best. on the range rover, when doing head gaskets after taking the top of the intake off i understood why some people were saying bs on improving anything. lots of crap on the floor of the intake, that i dont really think would be beneficial to break loose and stuff down the trumpets into the manifold. very little of this "miracle fluid" would have made it down into the engine. clean injector flow means alot, breaking loose particles in the air flow end wouldnt help a thing.
on another vehicle, 85 civic. a friend had his intake "serviced" after 200k reliable miles and after that the car smoked constantly and the cam wore out bad enough to keep from running. so much for "flushing the garbage out"
shoulda left well enough alone

93BLAZER

Explorer
re

My truck was running poorly when I drove into some auto repair shop in Medellin, Colombia. My truck, after running all the way from Santa Marta was running really rough at Idle. It was kind of a gradual onset the last few days. Sitting in my truck with the air running while taking shelter from the rain along side the road, i thought this wasnt normal.

So after settling in in Medellin, I looked for an autoshop. I told the guy what was going on and he looked under the hood for about 10 minutes. Mind you I had already checked to see if all the spark plug wires were connected to the distributor etc. S

o while im standing there at the bumper, This guy takes off my air filter assembly and proceds to pour a cup of 50/50 mix of water and power steering fuil directly into my intake while its running!!! The truck immediately fills half the city block with smoke, and sputters abit but clears up after a minute or three.

Now the truck runs great!

cruisertoy

Explorer
93BLAZER said:
This guy takes off my air filter assembly and proceds to pour a cup of 50/50 mix of water and power steering fuil directly into my intake while its running!!! The truck immediately fills half the city block with smoke, and sputters abit but clears up after a minute or three.

Now the truck runs great!

I've always wondered what chemicals go into all the products like seafoam or fuel injector cleaner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94