Seafoam Engine...

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Well I am thinking of doing the Seafoam treatment to my engine.

What are the pro's and con's?

Seems to have good results from search and the procedure seems very easy, with the exception of the smoke involved.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
The only things I did when I did mine was to pull the o2 sensor and put in the old one so all of the junk that comes out doesn't dirty it up. I also changed the plugs soon after.
I didn't see any difference. Its hard to say what it does. A lot of smoke comes out, but it could easily just be the car burning the sea foam material.
It didn't hurt anything though.

njtaco

Explorer
I did not find any difference in the running or economy of my truck after "Seafoaming" the engine. (On edit...this does not mean I don't think it works, I just did not notice a difference. I will continue to use the product, I have nothing to lose but a few dollars, and plenty to gain if it is working.)

I do think one should be very careful not to introduce the product into the engine too quickly, as it is theoretically possible to hydrolock the engine by doing so.

I see more of a difference in idling and economy from thoroughly cleaning (scrubbing, really) the throttle body and adding a "Techron" type product to the gasoline tank every oil change.

The first time I Seafoamed my Tacoma was probably the first time it had been done, at about 40K miles. I used too much, IMO, and fogged several neighborhoods. The second time was much better, at about 70K miles. I used much less product, and much less smoke was produced. It still did not make my 2.7 run like a 3.4, though. ;)

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
flyingwil said:
Well I am thinking of doing the Seafoam treatment to my engine.

I'm curious as to why? Your truck appears to be in excellent shape. Is it running badly?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
CA-RJ said:
I'm curious as to why? Your truck appears to be in excellent shape. Is it running badly?

No it runs fine, it is just over 110K mark, and starting to idle a bit rough. the Timing, water pump, ect.. were all replaced at 90k, and I recently replaced the spark plugs in an attempt to solve the rough idle. However, that did not work.

I am thinking that the combination of high quality Mexican petrol that has gone through the Taco, and the other brand fuels (Costco, ect..) have lead to some carbon build up on the internals, especially since the last spark plug change.

akphotobob

Observer
Shovel said:
Let me preface by saying it is my belief that it's not of any benefit at all to a good running vehicle that's always been kept running well, regardless of how many miles are on it - simply on the basis that fuel injected vehicles burn fuel very cleanly, and modern fuel burns very cleanly - I don't see how there would be an opportunity for all this "power robbing buildup" to occur in the combustion chamber, or how running smokey stuff through there would be of much benefit in removing it.
BUT
Subaru includes this treatment in their recommended service regimen. They have a Subaru product that looks/smells very similar to seafoam and is used in about the same way.
That fact gives it some credibility...
None for me however. :smiley_drive:
This is a wellreasoned and thoughtful post, thank you! But I think I disagree. My F150 was running rough and mpg and power seemed worse, so I talked to a mechanic friend about it and he asked what kind of gas I bought. I told him I bought whatever was cheapest. He said that was the problem. He told me to buy 2 bottles of NAPA fuel injector cleaner and run both of them through one tank and then run 1 bottle through the next 2 tanks. I did it, and it worked. The mpg and power were restored and the roughness went away. Since then, I try to run either Shell or Chevron gas because they are better in my opinion, and if they are too expensive, I run an occasional bottle of injector cleaner through it (Walmart brand).

So I don't agree that carbon/junk buildup is not a problem. But, I've never used Seafoam so can't comment on it. My recomendation to flyingwil is to try the above plan and see if it works, if it does great, and if not then maybe get the injectors cleaned.

greenhorn

Adventurer
That's a good idea with the O2 sensors, I wonder if it would plug a cat converter, with all the eccess smoke. I have been thinking about it myself, though.

preacherman

Explorer
I have done it to several trucks. Sometimes I noticed a diff, sometimes I did not. The one time I $$$ up and did the dealer FI cleaning I noticed a BIGGGGG diff. Most dealerships have a way to introduce a cleaner under pressure into the injection system and that makes a diff. I think it cost like $69 or something. Just a thought

madizell

Explorer
May we assume your vehicle is FI, and that you are planning on adding Seafoam to the gas tank?

If so, you won't injure the O2 sensor. Smoke does not clog catalytic converters. Any carbon removed from the combustion chamber will be removed in such small quantities and particles that these particles won't harm or clog anything downstream. Seafoam won't cure real mechanical issues with any engine -- at best it can help remove combustion deposits and chemical residue from fuel injectors and to some extent from valve stems and seats. It does work, but does not work miracles.

Rough idle could be caused by most anything, including clogged injectors, failing spark plug wires, corroded contacts in a distributor cap, and so on. But keep in mind that injectors can also and do also wear out over time. If there is any question of the injectors being worn, pull them and test them, or simply pull and replace them.

Seafoam is at least far cheaper than replacing injectors, so try it first. You won't do any harm and may do yourself some good. I have used it lots of times without any issues, and while it did smooth out the performance of my F150 with a 4.9 six, it didn't cure the defective injectors, which eventually had to be replaced.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I've SEAFOAM'd every vehicle I've owned, and many of the ones owned by friends and family (and yes they still talk to me).

Here's my usual response:

SEAFOAM ENGINE TREATMENT

Running it through the gas tank helps with keeping the injectors clean and moisture out of the tank and lines. I add one 16 oz. can to a full tank once every 5000 miles. You will not notice some sort of "miracle cure" from this alone.

Running it directly through the pvc line is more of a hands on operation, which I used when my 3.4 was running real badly. I believed that it was due to carbon build up. Running it directly into the motor cleans carbon build up, intake valves and pistons, and catalytic converter odors. It helps to cure hesitations and pings, restores power and pickup, and restore a smooth idle.
My truck ran very strong and smooth after I did this treatment. I am going to do this treatment every 30,000 miles as part of my tune-up.

Some people add some to the crankcase about 100 miles before an oil change. I doubt this would help if you are using a high quality oil and regular intervals...

Directions-

With warm engine running, SLOWLY poor 1/2 pint through direct manifold vacuum line such as P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. I used a piece of scap fuel line to run directly from can. (The engine may die at this point). Turn ignition off. Wait (it's ok, you didn't break your truck). Restart engine after 5 minutes (it may be hard to start and not want to stay running, keep trying). Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. FUMES WILL BE EXTREME for a short period of time. Let the truck run and play with the rpms to keep it going. After most of the Seafoam has burned off, put more load on the engine such as a short drive down the street. It might help to have an extra pair of hands.

I cannot stress enough that this worked for ME. I have used Seafoam in the same way on several of my family and friends vehicles with no adverse problems. I couldn't see paying a mechanic to do this for me. I watch them do basically the same thing at the shop accross the freeway from me.
The manufacturer claims the product is safe to use with supercharged and turbo systems.

preacherman said:
I have done it to several trucks. Sometimes I noticed a diff, sometimes I did not. The one time I $$$ up and did the dealer FI cleaning I noticed a BIGGGGG diff. Most dealerships have a way to introduce a cleaner under pressure into the injection system and that makes a diff. I think it cost like $69 or something. Just a thought

Yes, here at the shop we use what's called the Motovac which is the brand name of the machine. Funny, its a really simple operation of pulling the injectors, cleaning them, and then running the machine with the solution and gas through the fuel lines at high pressure for about an hour. It is a very expensive machine hence why you usually do not seeing this service for less then $69. I have not tried the Seafoam though.

madizell

Explorer
I am having trouble coping with the concept of pulling injectors as "simple." Pulling the injectors out of my 4.9 Ford six was something like a two hour job, and putting them back took another two. You won't get that for $69.

madizell said:
There is your problem. Relax everyone I am just kidding around:shakin: I have no fight with Ford so I am not really bashing. It does depend on the vehicle too. What's easy on a Toyota can take hours on a Chrysler and visa versa. Its all on how they design them. At the shop I am a Lot Attendant at they charge around $100 to do the complete Fuel System Cleaning. They don't always pull the injectors. A lot of times they will only do that when there is something wrong.

Last edited:

madizell

Explorer
My point exactly. Any engine cleaning or motor vac for $69 total cost is not going to include pulling injectors. Nor should it.

No comment about Ford. Mine have all gotten over 150,000 miles without issues, but heck, who is keeping track?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94