How to make a more stable platform for a Coleman Peak 1 or Coleman Exponent stove?

magentawave

Adventurer
I was thinking of getting a Coleman Peak 1 stove or its new replacement the Coleman Exponent Multi-fuel stove to use inside a Toyota motorhome. I would burn kerosene in it but I'm concerned that the thing would be too tippy with the pan perched way up high like that. Has anyone come up with a way to make the pan/pot more stable on top of a little stove like that? Does a rack exist for this purpose?

Thanks

PA Slammer

Observer
I would borrow or rent a hole saw the size of the base.

Buy a 1x8 or 1x10 about 2 foot long or so. Cut the length into two 1 foot pieces. Use the hole saw to cut a hole in one of the boards. Then glue both of the boards together. You'll end up with a 2 inch thick base that your stove cat sit in.

Use to do something similar for my stove in my tent vestibule when mountaineering. Kept it real stable.

PA Slammer

madmax718

Explorer
Get a bakers cooling rack and cut out the prongs. Some are taller than others, so you have to find the right size.

madmax718

Explorer
Get a bakers cooling rack and cut out the prongs. Some are taller than others, so you have to find the right size.

magentawave

Adventurer
Thats a simple good idea for making the stove more stable, and thank you, but how do you make a big wide pan or pot more stable as its perched on top of the little stove?

I would borrow or rent a hole saw the size of the base.

Buy a 1x8 or 1x10 about 2 foot long or so. Cut the length into two 1 foot pieces. Use the hole saw to cut a hole in one of the boards. Then glue both of the boards together. You'll end up with a 2 inch thick base that your stove cat sit in.

Use to do something similar for my stove in my tent vestibule when mountaineering. Kept it real stable.

PA Slammer

I typed "bakers cooling rack" into Amazon and got these results: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node=289721&field-keywords=&rh=n:289721 Are you suggesting to use a tall one that just clears the flame and place the pot on top of it? And what are the "prongs" on these cooling racks?

madmax718

Explorer
Sorry, there are many different ones out there, you really have to cut out the wire rack area that goes over the flame- otherwise you will heat up the wire rack significantly. (and most are coated). Sorry, I should have better stated that "prongs" I mean the wire rack "rack" area. The feet may have to be bent (or cut) depending on how your you want to do the setup.

Its nothing more than a shelf honestly. You can even cut down a large metal coffee can, but just be careful of the excess heat that your keeping inside.

Furthermore, I'd strongly suggest you not use white gas stoves within your camper. Just.. not ideal. That initial flare up, can be quite sooty, and can leave a strong smell.

Butane stoves are cheap (20 dollars) and take inexpensive fuel (while not as cheap per btu, its about 1.50 per can when ordered locally). Asian people use it in their homes all the time for hotpot, and some will even take it outside when frying fish or other possibly stinky food.

magentawave

Adventurer
Okay I understand now what you were talking about and thanks for clarifying. That is a good idea.

Is butane readily available in Mexico, Central America, and South America?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles