I'm looking for information on building a custom super-insulated ICE CHEST please

magentawave

Adventurer
I was pretty sure I was going to buy a Sundanzer DC fridge but before I do I was wondering if anyone on this forum has built their own custom super insulated ice chest? If so, do you have a link to the build? What type of foam, plywood, latches, etc. did you use? How long does your ice last in hot weather?

Thanks

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Look into the ice boxes/fidges people build for blue water sailing. When you are a thousand miles from land in the tropics you want insulation for your cold goodies.

magentawave

Adventurer
One good idea in that thread was to try and find a plastic storage container thats the size of the inside of the cooler and then build your cooler around that.

Using the term cooler will pop up this thread which may have some help for you: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...re-ever-make-your-own-cooler?highlight=cooler

Thanks for the link to epoxyworks cuz there are lots of great ideas in there.

Here's the way I build them - The link to the detailed article isn't direct so after clicking on the link -http://www.epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html

Go to the "Epoxy's Non-Marine Uses" section then to the "Vehicles, Equipment and Gadgets" and you'll find the article "Building an efficient icebox". Moe

I've been getting a lot of great ideas from cruisers for my project but forgot to ask about building a cooler. Duh! Thanks for the reminder because you are right that long distance small boat cruisers know how to do more with less better than almost anybody.

Look into the ice boxes/fidges people build for blue water sailing. When you are a thousand miles from land in the tropics you want insulation for your cold goodies.

Papa Tac

Observer
Use an average plastic cooler, but fill the air space with foam expanding insulation. Drill a hole(s) and spray till all space is filled, and you've got a great cooler for cheap.
(not my idea, saw it on the Webs somewhere)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne