2013: Your favorite image of the year?

photoman

Explorer
This is a pretty difficult task which is why I just create a slideshow with some of my best images each year. :sombrero:

With that said I would lean to the following shot. While it may not be my "best image" I like it a lot - it is a pretty technical single exposure (stars, light painting, light on subject), includes man and nature, and most importantly is a shot of my son. While he often goes with me on trips this was his first real attempt at hanging with dad on a photo trip and he shot well into the night.

IMG_4740-XL.jpg

4xdog

Explorer
...and now for something completely different...

I had the chance to go to the Goodwood Revival in the south of England this past September, and it's simply the single best car event I've ever been to. (And I say that as a member of the Automobile Club of Monaco and a regular attendee at the Monaco Grand Prix...)

Here's Adrian Newey in his Ford GT40 on the way to winning the Whitsun Trophy race on Saturday, co-driving with Kenny Bräck in windy, rainy conditions on the Goodwood Circuit. There were something like 107 Ford GT40s made in period, and something like 27 of them on track -- racing -- at Goodwood. Amazing...

I thought the GT40 was one of the most beautiful race cars I'd ever seen as a little kid when it was winning Le Mans, and I still do.
i-tS7R4HM-XL.jpg

There's more old iron -- SERIOUS old iron -- at the Revival than you can shake a stick at. All kinds of historic cars scattered about, and some that just look nice.
i-TkBSqCN-XL.jpg

Some good racing, too, as here with Tom Kristensen hauling a 427 side oiler 1963 Ford Galaxie in the St Mary's Trophy race in some of the closest racing I've ever seen to barely take a win against Frank Stippler in his 1.6 L Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA .
i-JfV34xz-XL.jpg

i-nfn4d5g-XL.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Picking just one is hard. I think this photo works for me as my favorite for this year. It begs me to explore further.

IMG_3760-X3.jpg

zimm

Expedition Leader
post #2 from arlon is going to be tough to beat. the likely hood that Scotts Rinos are ground up in some chinamans erection potion is disconcerting and emotional to me, and the picture is of sentimental value, but im not seeing much effort in image composition.

arlon, have you tried tinkering to see if theres something more in the shadows to the left? awful dark there.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Picking just one is hard. I think this photo works for me as my favorite for this year. It begs me to explore further.

IMG_3760-X3.jpg

i want to look up instead of ahead. i think a wider angle cropped would have nailed this one.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
*disclaimer* I am by no means a photographer. I don't have a fancy high speed super camera.
IMAG0811.jpg
Tinajas Altas. Much higher up than I should have been.
"One of my favorites"

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
I spent a wonderful 10 days on two separate trips wandering/exploring the back roads/sandy byways/remote trails of the massive 19,000 sq miles of the Nebraska Sandhills this past summer. This is one that I liked of the numerous narrow one lane remote asphalt byways wandering and winding through this beautiful prairie rangeland. Some of the best most scenic days of my life. Click to enlarge.

Attachments

• NebraskaSandhills#2July12-16,2013 414.jpg
    NebraskaSandhills#2July12-16,2013 414.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 33

nwoods

Expedition Leader
i want to look up instead of ahead. i think a wider angle cropped would have nailed this one.

Not sure I understand. Do you mean a wide angle turned vertically, so you see depth of the canyon?
Also, this image was pretty wide already. Shot at 18mm on a cropped sensor Canon 7D, (28.8mm in 35mm)

zimm

Expedition Leader
Not sure I understand. Do you mean a wide angle turned vertically, so you see depth of the canyon?
Also, this image was pretty wide already. Shot at 18mm on a cropped sensor Canon 7D, (28.8mm in 35mm)

yea. i love the canyon, but i need some sort of reference to make me feel like im going someplace, to pull me into the road and give it some pop. i tried something like that in the badlands, which is PERFECT for that, but my lens limitations killed me as i kept losing the big bright blue sky. i then tried a droid x on panoramic, figuring id crop, but apparently those things alter the exposure for every shot then stitch... imagine that mess.

you really were in a hole, thats a tough one.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I spent a wonderful 10 days on two separate trips wandering/exploring the back roads/sandy byways/remote trails of the massive 19,000 sq miles of the Nebraska Sandhills this past summer. This is one that I liked of the numerous narrow one lane remote asphalt byways wandering and winding through this beautiful prairie rangeland. Some of the best most scenic days of my life. Click to enlarge.

like here, the sky actually accentuates the road, and draws you in. take this at 12" off the ground for some bokeh and limit the road to 1/3 of the frame, and BAM.

never split a frame 50/50. crop a bit off the bottom of this to get the fence posts on left down towards the bottom.

chuckn

Observer
Green river at potato bottom along the white rim trial in Utah. My favorite color photo of the year.

Attachments

• green river at potato bottom (oct 2013).jpg
    green river at potato bottom (oct 2013).jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz