Cab Mount Chop

jeverich

Luddite
Thought I'd post up some pictures of a job that I recently completed; a "Cab Mount Chop" on a 2006 Tacoma.

Essentially, Mr. Toyota designed these trucks with a large front cab mount, that can create sever rubbing issues with oversize tires. In this instance, the truck had 285/75/16s.

Typical 'chops only remove a small portion of material. I decided to remove more.

Shot with some primer, painted flat black soon thereafter.

Enjoy!

hilux30

Observer
Excellent job.. I planned this for 305s or 315s, but for 285s? I ran same tires for years never rubbed, what offset are the rims?

jeverich

Luddite
Hmm.. they're aftermarket. But, I know he had severe rubbing issues. Seems as though it's hit or miss with rubbing on these trucks..

hilux30

Observer
The old 285s were mounted on FJ rims, so it was a 'stock' offset/width set-up, most aftermarket wheels at 8" wide run 0mm or even negative offsets and that makes the tire swing wider and hit something for sure... But yes, as I never like cutting into the structure unless there is a plan to reinforce it, this cab mount is placed quit a bit forward. The size of the mount before cutting makes you wonder if it was designed as a part of side collision system...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94