recommendations for emergecy credit cards

Maverick1701

Adventurer
I am thinking about getting a credit card for emergencies and was wondering what you guys use (what you like about your card and don't like about your card).

I am very anti credit card and I hate debt....but I have been travelling a lot lately and if something was to happen I dont really want to be stranded.

Now I try to keep between 5-7K in my savings account for emergencies. But if something was to happen lets say on a friday night then my money wouldn't transfer into my checking account until monday morning (when my online banking processes my transfer)...which wouldn't be too helpful.

Is there a card out there that won't charge me a monthly fee if the card is not being utilized?

I have been doing some research for the past few months but I like to get more opinions before making a decision.
thanks.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
We keep a card through our credit union. In general they offer pretty decent deals for interest rates, no annual fees and a sufficient grace period. We pay ours off each month when the bill comes.

Credit unions are generally available through employers but a number of them are also available based on residency and some associations/etc. Most CUs also will extend eligibility to relatives of current members. Also, they generally have extensive ATM networks and once a member/always a member policy so you don't have to maintain whatever qualified you for eligibilty.

steelheadbum

Adventurer
I much rather have a good line of credit than a credit card, lower % and much more flexibility just transfer funds I need to my checking whenever I need, no cash advance fees. I have had a 30k line of credit for the last 8 years, I've used it to buy vehicles to flip and make those big mods to my house or rig.

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

Expedition Leader
I am very anti credit card and I hate debt...

Me too; I don't have any of either.

...but I have been travelling a lot lately and if something was to happen I dont really want to be stranded.

I use a debit card to travel. Set it up to require a PIN with every transaction if you're worried about theft. Otherwise, a VISA debit card can be used like a credit card anywhere credit cards are accepted, with the same fraud protection.

grogie

Like to Camp
There is nothing wrong with credit cards when used responsibly (especially when paying it off each month). I find it very convenient to put everything on one card, pay it off each month, and then get points/cash back. But if one can't pay it off, then I agree it's not smart to do unless it's an emergency. Unfortunately not having a card just makes it more of a pain to travel or even buy gas. What I don't like about debit cards is if someone gets the number, they can still pull money out of your bank account and possibly cause you to bounce a check (yes, banks will replace the funds of course). I'd only use a debit card if it's tied to a secondary account that you don't write checks from.

I haven't paid an annual fee in years. Keep in mind that some companies will cancel the card if you don't use it for a time, so with my backup card, I use it once every six months to keep it active. And as said, credit unions are good places to get a credit card.

4xdog

Explorer
Emergencies? World-wide? American Express.

Dunno about this... If one is an Amex cardmember, especially one with some status, the traveller services American Express offers can be a super fallback. The downside is that due to high fees there are a LOT of merchants -- especially in Europe -- who won't take Amex for purchases.

I'm a fan of a Visa card -- mine is linked to my credit union account via PIN for both credit and debit, including ATMs around the world. They're widely accepted -- perhaps the most widely accepted card in my global travels. Even better is my work Visa card, which has a PIN chip embedded in it. Those chip cards are widely used outside the US (in Europe especially, again) and provide a higher level of security than we have here in the US. They're hard to find here, though, and I don't have a personal one yet.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Ever see a visa cardholder lounge in an international airport? A visa office where you could walk in and get cash without your card?

Maverick1701

Adventurer
Thanks for the info guys. I already have a debit card (I think that was mentioned earlier in this thread).

Also something else that was asked earlier, no I am not going to be travelling internationally. At least not for another 3-4 years. After that I would like to take some international vacations.

I will take a look at the "local" credit unions. local is in quotes because the closest credit unions are either in amarillo (1.5hr away) or lubbock (2.5hr away).
Ill let you guys know what I decide after making a decision.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
Credit cards don't cause debt, irresponsible credit card holders cause debt. With that being said, my wife and I use our American Express for 99% of our daily transactions. We don't pay interest because it's paid off each month, nor do we pay any type of annual fees. I don't worry about having to hassle with the bank if someone gains access to your information, and if for some reason a vendor doesn't follow through on their end, American Express is on the cardholders side. We get cash back rewards for using ours, which we just apply to the bill at the end of the month, but I'm sure that they have different programs.

Remember that with responsible ownership, credit cards can actually work for you. You just have to be smart when using them.

bulrid8

Look at the bank you use too. With WellsFargo, you can transfer money from savings to checking from your phone and it is instant. Then you just carry your Visa debit card and your covered.

Just another option!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

TXLX

Observer
I have a line of credit through my bank, can instantly transfer money to my accts online for emergencies. Also have a daily use card (annual fee less than $100) that builds airline points.... Can take 1-2 round trips per year with the family with the points. Having access to credit doesn't necessarily mean you have debt.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I absolutely LOVE my Southwest Airlines Visa. Between the wife and I we earn roughly 4-6 plane tickets a year. We use the card for everything and just pay (pretty much most of our paycheck) the bill in full monthly. Works great and NO foreign transaction fees.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
How about you close the Savings account and move the money to a second checking account with a debit card. Why get a credit card if you don't want one?

Maverick1701

Adventurer
How about you close the Savings account and move the money to a second checking account with a debit card. Why get a credit card if you don't want one?

I think I am going to try this option before trying a true credit card. Your post actually got me thinking and I am probably going to try this:
3 accounts total through my bank (I already have 1 checking and 1 savings acct)
This is what I was thinking:
1 savings account that isnt connected to my debit card with min balance of 10K that I can xfer if needed.

1 secondary checking account to be hold unused money from my main checking after the month is out. Acct balance kept between 2-4K which should cover most minor emergencies/vehicle repair/etc (this will probably be checks only since it won't be getting used often)

1 primary account that will be used to day to day purchases (connected to my debit card)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles