The TerraShuttle build- a 1993 Chevrolet K3500 6.5L turbo diesel 4x4 quad-cab TC rig

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Thanks for the affirmations! And the 6.5L is still plenty powerful and fast for today unless you're towing a yacht or want to 'chip tune' your monster truck for the dragstrip... For modest TC use on a used budget like mine, it still escapes me how this engine has escaped so many. Or perhaps there's just not that many of them around any longer, in which I count myself thankful for finding (a good) one.

Also what may become a significant update and change of events for the rig... the wife is starting to come full circle on this camping stuff... and has discovered this thing called 'glamping'... The Lance interior may be in trouble.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Minor update, I've tracked down a semi-local expert with this GMT-400 platform and will probably be using him for much of the heavy lifting and used-parts sourcing I need. We're discussing airbags for the rear and leaving the stock leafs in place, having him install the exhaust though I may have him just do the turbo while he's at it, installing a Dometic AC, upgrading the fuel cell to a much larger capacity (42 gal. from a Suburban perhaps), and even eventually swapping out the older interior for a more modern 95-99 setup in gray leather.

The truck is still running great, still trying to track down my blinker issue from the Lance install though. A heavy duty flasher relay and new turn signal stalk didn't fix the problem, so it's something else in that circuit. Annoyingly, I've really gotta get that resolved before I can start thinking 'TURBO!'.

And the wife has all sorts of 'glamping' ideas for the inside she's showing me on her Pintrest page...

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Still in the same spot as the last post, but hoping to get the truck to my guy in the next couple weeks to do all of the above. Will also be adding 1.5" steel spacers on the rear wheels to bring out the track for the load. I'll be taking the camper off next weekend to replace the truck rear window with a sliding unit that guy has for camper access, and will also grind down the camper's bed bump stops by an inch to fill in that cab gap and get it more in the bed by as much. Also planning to add a beeping reverse alarm like a commercial truck, and may be replacing the rear Happijack tie-downs with the correct Torklift units in the next month as well (will replace my 'holy' and beat up bumper at that point).

As far as truck maintenance, I have a couple transmission speed sensors to replace, one of which is causing a CEL but it runs fine, and I will likely be upgrading the radiator fan and clutch before the Texas summer heat sets in. And on that note, I recently replaced my trickle charger for both batteries with a couple 2W solar panels and battery clips. The truck faces west and gets plenty of sun, so it's always ready to go even after sitting for a month!

I also added a couple sweet period-correct '6.5 TURBO DIESEL' decals in that old GM 90s font on each hood crease. New pics of all soon.

Stoked

Observer
Reading this thread inspired me to look for a similar truck. After searching Craigslist and not really finding anything, I hopped on Autotrader. I got all excited when the first truck that pops up is identical to this one. A little too identical. Must be the original ad from you bought it still there and hasn't been removed.

I'm digging what you are doing with the truck. It's got me thinking about an older diesel again.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Hey neighbor- yes that's mine still on there from November... seller must have opted for the 'until it sells' option and never updated it. I've been meaning to let him know.

But thanks! I'm loving the truck still and all the possibilities it has to offer. I'd highly recommend one like it. They're rare, but can be found with a little patience. You've got your eye on probably the two best outlets to track one down. Keep at it and let me know if you score one.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Yesterday I got a pair of 2" steel spacers installed on the rear to widen the track of the truck out (now equals the front, looks a lot better too) and lower the center of gravity somewhat for better handling, and it worked wonders. The rear width is now 4" wider, and it was noticeable the moment I turned out of my driveway- felt more hunkered-down like a dually, less narrow-tracking like a midsize truck.

13906924743_eb731571a7_b.jpg

13883756402_f748f8f017_b.jpg

13883759972_5b9a3f1c0a_b.jpg

(looks are deceiving- that's a big Audi, and the fence is 8' tall)

I also put a 10w solar panel on the dash over the gauge hood with a charge controller under the hood to keep the batteries up front charged. I'm still finalizing my battery bank system plans for the camper, mainly on where to move the single battery into a space where I can run two in parallel. Torklift has an interesting product now I was offered to trial that actually hangs a battery box off the frame rails- two of those sound appealing on paper, but the wiring of them regarding routes, holes, and the elements would be more of a challenge. But I found 200w of solar with a 30A charge controller that I know where to install, so I might proceed with that anyway next for the existing marine battery in there now.

I also just received my 2M ham radio antenna- that will be going on top of the camper right above the door at the same time the solar panels are installed.

And I'm still trying to track down my reverse lamps trouble. The fuse isn't blowing any longer, but even changing out the rear light assemblies and bulbs failed to resolve. The turn signals are gone too, so needless to say I'm not exactly driving it much at all. Inspection due in August, so I have until then to fix, but sooner the better. I'll be taking the rig back to Camping World to have them dig into it on their dime ASAP. And I'll be adding a backup alarm at that time as well- a backup camera won't be far behind!

Last edited:

Gigantor

Observer
Nice rig and setup! My wife wants an Earthroamer too, so I bought a '95 6.5l td suburban and Baja off road pop-up...lol!

Where did you get those spacers and for how much?

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
I did a double take when I looked at the pics in your first post.. My truck looks almost identical down to the later model wheels from the rear quarter. It has a 350TBI/NV4500 though.

Nice build, gives me a good idea of what my camper will look like loaded up.

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
I would love to know about the spacers as well. I need to try and match up my tracking as well.

Seabass

Idiot
Nice rig and setup! My wife wants an Earthroamer too, so I bought a '95 6.5l td suburban and Baja off road pop-up...lol!

Where did you get those spacers and for how much?

Hey guys- just two weeks ago I put a set of two inch on my rear axel. I have a 97 F350 single wheel. It too tracked way wider in the front. I called up arrow craft and got a set of steel spacers for a little under $300 delivered. They are rated to carry more weight than my wheels. The axel hub actually carries the load- not the studs and they machine a lip on the wheel end that adds extra support for the wheel. I couldn't be happier. The truck handles surprisingly better than stock- it's noticeably more stable. It also tracks the same front and rear which makes it look way good! I work out of this particular truck and it LOADED DOWN with tools, a gas air compressor, fuel tank, spud bars and jacks, chains, etc. it's freakin heavy! I'm probably off road as much as on and so far so good. I drive it every single day. I'd say call arrow craft up. They don't advertise these spacers but they do have them. They are also very knowledgeable and can and will answer every question you could think of about spacers. Carry on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Man, have I got a lot of updating to do. Most everything I discussed earlier is complete and has been for a couple months now, but life...! Let's get to those awesome spacers first, I should have linked earlier:

http://www.wheeladapter.com/dually_spacers.php

I remember back in May/June talking to the guy at this outfit, and he said to get my order in quick back then so he could get them out the door as he'd just received a massive order from GM. Allegedly. So GM themselves may be using this for some application. After installing them (I know, the price is nuts), the quality is second to none. These. Are. Beefy. The truck will fall apart before these do, under any conditions or load I can imagine. I echo everything Seabass said about the effects- much better handling, road confidence, load carrying stability, and better looks! Finally, a perfect stance to match the front wheels. It's still no dually, but it'll make you feel better about having a SRW for sure. Do it.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I love reading about your build and the things you have done. Since I own a 94 Yukon with the 6.5 turbo diesel I am very interested in knowing about what you want to do to the engine. I heard you talking about a new turbo and was wondering if you dont think that it might give too much boost to an engine that already has a lot of mileage. Also did you change your crankshaft vibration dampener? I am also interested in hearing your cost analysis/pricing of the projects you intend to do. Looking forward to your feedback. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Thank, chili. Yeah I still have the A-Team Turbo sitting on my workbench. I attempted to install it myself (right at the top of the engine bay, looks easy enough!), but rusted/seized/two-piece bolts ended up doing me in. I'm now looking at having to take my GM-3 off... along with the Bank 1 exhaust manifold it's basically welded to at this point. I've admittedly lost interest in completing that upgrade myself, so I've got a guy looking at the task in the next couple months. It'll be paired at the same time with a 4" Diamond Eye turbo-back exhaust system that is similarly awaiting install. That's about it for the engine really! It still runs like a top, and with such minimal use (started for 20 min. every other week on average, though I'm planning a family state park camping trip one weekend ASAP once it gets cooler), I won't be doing anything more than is cheap/necessary/makes sense. I did find out, if I didn't mention prior, that the Duramax fan upgrade had already been done, so with the new turbo on, it should really be staying nice and cool at that point.

I'm working on a big post of breaking down everything into a few segments on what I completed in the last couple months. Will try and finish that in the coming weekend.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I've done the turbo rebuild, and I had to use a torch to heat the bolts to red to get them off... was not happy days. There are several threads on other forums about people turning up the wick on 6.5s - but I don't know the longevity of that... with that said, I have a 300,000 mile 6.5 motor in my shop that simply needs new rings and it'll be a happy motor - with the oil cooler, the really don't wear. Heads crack if you get them too hot, but the bottom end is pretty solid. With that said, that's why I wonder at longevity - turbos do create heat.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Yeeep, and them's thar the reason! I'm trying to start to value my time, and decided that wasn't a worthwhile use of it for now. The turbo isn't seen so much as turning up the wick so much as it is making it breathe better and run cooler, though perhaps anyway as I hear it makes it a bit faster. But still, stock injectors, et al. I just want to be able to maintain the speed limit on the highway up moderate hills and not suffocate over mountain passes with the TC mounted. Glad to hear another affirmation of the longevity and relative strength of these mills. As I've said, if it was strong and reliable enough for the military to use in the H1...

Even as it sits now, it's rather quick for what it is. I can't tell you how much fun it is almost gunning it from a light and keeping up or passing traffic at the same safe rate I normally would anyway in my Audi or Jag. Pretty fast 'RV'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior