The TerraShuttle build- a 1993 Chevrolet K3500 6.5L turbo diesel 4x4 quad-cab TC rig

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Finally, two months after I purchased my truck, I'm starting my build thread. And the build is practically complete! Only fine details and suggestions from here on out- I have a working rig now. First, a couple bits about myself- I'm an Eagle Scout with two Philmont expeditions under my belt from long ago, and am now a happily married father of two young toddler boys. My wife's idea of camping is a cabin with full HVAC and running water. As a car enthusiast, guess what I came up with as a compromise to get her (and me back) out there? I came across ExPo late last summer after stumbling upon the EarthRoamer for the first time and started looking into more details. I fell in love with the thing, but didn't want to sell the house to get one. Then I discovered you guys here and saw what you were doing with big domestic trucks, and realized I could get pretty close to the concept on our budget. After justifying all the pros and cons, getting the wife's approval (luckily she loves big trucks), and sleeping on it for a few months (and combing many threads here), I set off in earnest to find my truck first. And first truck.

I'm not a truck guy at heart (though I may be now). My stable is more old Audi/Jaguar/Porsche stuff than 'pickup'. But I wanted a rig that would accommodate my whole family for better or worse. A weekend camping, or having to go off-grid for weeks. Something large, simple, reliable, self-contained and easy/cheap to work on. I decided I was going for a long-bed SWR quad-cab turbo diesel 4x4 of some sort, approaching this brand-agnostic. I seriously considered an old 4x4 Suburban (too small, ha!), then a 92-94 F-350 with the IDI and called about a couple, when the truck I was intended to have came across very locally- others were half the continent away. Three days with a test drive later and I had it in my driveway. A 1993 Chevrolet Silverado SRW quad-cab long-bed 4x4 with 277k miles and the awesome 6.5L turbo diesel, the same mill that powered the first-gen HUMVEE (military Hummer H1). That is an undersold competitive advantage in this arena. The 1993 model year also ticked one of my preferred checkboxes of being mechanically-injected with very few electronics (yes, CME/EMP resistant to boot). Starting in 1994, the 6.5L went electronically-injected, and as the seller of this truck put it, 'were total crap- this is the one you want'. It was a helluva rare package that I was just not going to find again overall, looked good, was a great price for what it is with local history and recent maintenance, so done deal. I enjoyed the next couple months of getting it sorted to my vision (didn't need much), with a professionally detailed and steamed interior, new BFG tires, powder coating the wheels and bumpers, finding a brush guard on Craigslist, and adding a dozen or three tools and gear of various needs behind and under the backseat to handle most weather conditions and adverse situations. To help and inspire others, I'll share the costs: $5500. Count another grand and a half for the new tires, powder coating, Craigslist brush guard, and tool stuffs.

Then came the camper, the other half of the project. I initially wanted to find a utility bed, and still may at some point, but decided against it for now. As you know, it's very difficult to fit something like this with a camper of one's liking. I ended up going through the pop-up and hard-side forums getting folks' takes and combing many threads over there, initially thinking a pop-up would be best, but ultimately decided to go hard-side. After seeing too many rigs out there that were just not well thought out, and/or looked terrible as well, I decided to take advantage of the huge truck I had and... not put a massive camper on it. Big truck, lightweight camper, as long as it was still self-contained. I just didn't want something that hung out the back by ten feet, and another two feet on each side. Something tidy that would look good, and more importantly, still be built well too. I decided on the Lance 815 after a tip here, and I found a 2001 up in Denver at Camping World that had hail damage on the outside but was otherwise immaculate inside with little use and all features operational. No leaks. Sight unseen besides a dozen photos on their site, sold. I drove up last Friday after Christmas, coincidentally blew the turbo as I made my exit for the dealer (seriously), had it installed, and ended up nursing it home over the Raton Pass at 45mph and most other places in CO at 50-60mph (lower elevations beyond Amarillo, TX allowed me to get up to 70mph). This cost? Also $5500. If you don't count the turbocharger I'm now shopping for... Figure another grand for tie-down hardware (I went with Torklifts and FastGuns), professional installation with walk-thru (Camping World of Longmont is awesome- top notch staff), diesel, and a good steak dinner to celebrate (prematurely, right before the turbo blew).

So truck and camper with some goodies ready to roll, and I'm in with a pretty capable, solid quality, and loaded first-time rig for under $14k. It's EarthRoamer close-enough for now!

There are so many benefits to having a TC setup like this that it became hard to not build one up. Space isn't issue- the truck's existing footprint on my driveway extension remains all I needed. The insurance coverage is hardly more than a footnote on the existing truck's coverage. There's no title or licensing necessary, nor miles to really keep up with. There are no towing considerations (only GWVR) or more tires to worry about blowing out- it leaves the tow hitch available so you can still tow a boat. Maybe a yacht. In severe weather (tornado emergency, iced in for days), I can get a family member to a hospital if necessary or meet an ambulance somewhere. It's first-responder ready-to-go. It can be used as a guest room, and driven to family's homes and used as a guest room there. It also doubles as a quarantine sick room for a family member with a cold or worse. There's plenty of space inside the truck and camper to accommodate my family of 4, plus my mother-in-law if she comes along (even moreso if my oldest son and I sleep in a tent outside it). Unlike any other type of RV, if I want to turn around on the interstate, I can on demand- right into the median through mud. I had to do this recently. Curbs aren't a problem either, nor are logging roads, train tracks, and small streams. I don't intend on doing any heavy off-roading, so it only needs to meet those basic challenges we may encounter. Prepared for the worst, ready for the best! Maybe that should be the cheesy script motto I should have painted on the back. Just kidding.

We're very excited to now get this thing out to a state park nearby this spring to give it a test run before trying anything interesting (exploring off-road trails, boondocking). Though if my oldest son has his way, we'll be 'camping' in the driveway with it every weekend until then! We couldn't pull them out of the thing when I got home. This is going to make a great family and scouting truck to get out into God's country for the first time in a long time, and for my boys, ever. Can't wait! And also glad to be here with a quality group of folks into the same thing. Looking forward to chatting with you guys more. Cheers and happy new year! :wings:

Before:
11700214076_53b14ca306_o.jpg
11699454775_104973eee8_o.jpg

11699699383_e76944df11_o.jpg
11699452925_da77aeae93_o.jpg

Then:
11700293966_ea1b93ab5f_z.jpg
11700283096_af82ed95dc_z.jpg

Now:
11699800153_7c4c770934_b.jpg

11699932884_42a96bc9a8_b.jpg

11700362116_5c05f02288_b.jpg

11699857253_b92003e4a6_b.jpg

11699461965_1eca58312c_b.jpg

11700230046_f81d8c0e67_b.jpg

11699855214_f19b73b0b5_b.jpg

11699864794_60ca9c3013_b.jpg

11699729013_7a94cc86ee_b.jpg

11699620675_8c7bc11ed9_o.jpg

Last edited:

aardvarcus

Adventurer
Nice looking truck, the camper looks well proportioned for it. Sorry to hear about your turbo, but after this at least you will know your turbo is good.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Thanks, drago- I haven't really started looking into the turbo stuff until tonight, so your tips are well-timed. I've also heard about that POSI-lok system and will plan to do that.

Thanks also, aardvarcus- I think so as well on both counts.

dragogt

Adventurer
No problem, do you're own research but you really can't go wrong with either of the 2 along with a 4" exhaust system..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Sentinelist

Adventurer
The exhaust system is tempting. I'll likely go the ATT route but will be running through thetruckstop.us diagnostic checklist this weekend to make sure before I pull the trigger. Some of the guys there think it could be the lift pump or a clogged filter. Hope so!

dragogt

Adventurer
Jmo but the exhaust is a necessary, it's worse than trying to breathe through a coffee straw..

98dango

Expedition Leader
Very nice set up simple its always the best plan.

I will also second the exhaust.

As a professional semi mechanic exhaust is one of the most important items. Air in air out but remember your running the air twice.so you need double the air out.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Thanks, guys. Makes sense. At a few hundred bucks extra, I think I'll add it to the cart if I replace the turbo.

greengreer

Adventurer
Adding a full turbo back exhaust really woke my 6.5 up. I went with the diamondeye kit, found it at summit for less than300 shipped. Its no louder than stock just has a different tone. My only issue was one hanger would not line up, seems to be a common issue. I planned to have a buddy weld it on in the right set but it seems to have plenty of support without it. I am interested to see what turbo you go with, I like the bolt in compatibility of the att but I didnt wanna give up my low end on the gm8. I wonder if putting a mechanically controlled gm8 and a k47 intake would get you enough power for a bit less coin, and using factory parts too.
I think cooling is the biggest issue with these engines. I have enough power towing and at or above gvw, but i watch the temp gauge like a hawk.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
That sounds pretty good, green. I wasn't aware I'd lose some low end with the ATT. I'm a big fan of 'OEM+' and would consider the GM-8 the same if it'd work right with a 1993 like mine. We'll see though, if I can get by with fixing a fuel system issue (reading lots on this today at thetruckstop.us), then the turbo and exhaust upgrade may have to hold until later this year. I'm actually pretty pleased with the power I have now when it used to run well!

I've been fortunate so far to have good cooling- the gauge has never budged over 25% once warmed up. The last guy said the same after replacing the thermostat and even drove it down to Mexico several times.

dragogt

Adventurer
Whatever you decide to go with Do not keep the gm8 it's way undersized for these engines..

On FTE a guy used a gmX turbo on a 4.9/ 300 i6 and it was just about perfect for it..

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Whatever you decide to go with Do not keep the gm8 it's way undersized for these engines..

On FTE a guy used a gmX turbo on a 4.9/ 300 i6 and it was just about perfect for it..

Good to know- it's a BorgWarner GM-3 in there currently, not the 8. I think the 8 kicked in in the late 1990s.

dragogt

Adventurer
Yeah iirc except for a few minor changes its the same as a 8...

Sentinelist

Adventurer
A-Team Turbo and Diamond Eye exhaust, among some other fuel delivery upgrade parts, are now on order. This weekend should be fun.

I'm also hoping to get the solar setup underway, including a small panel that will be mounted on the other side of the gauge hood facing the windshield just to tend the truck batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne