OTT reviews the Text Anywhere satellite communication system

Matt_OCENS

Observer
Very cool and good to know...thanks! If either ever comes up with a pre-pay plan that doesn't have automatic renewal, I'm might buy one. It would be a handy thing just for the wow factor.

I'm not familiar with the Text Anywhere plans, but with the inReach, they have what's called the "Freedom Plans." You pay $24.95/year and you are allowed to turn the service on or off whenever you want (it must stay on for at least one 30 day interval). You pay slightly more per month with these plans.

Matt_OCENS

Observer
Will either of these devices be able to receive power from a built in USB port in the vehicle? I do a lot of "adventuring" alone, and it would be great to have some way to stay in contact with the family. Can one create several pre-typed text messages which can be sent via a single key stroke on the Text Anywhere. I believe this is possible with the inReach models. The inReach can also be used with Google Earth to allow interested parties to follow your trail, is that right? It looks like the monthly costs for either of these systems is equal or less than a single tank of gas. That sounds like pretty cheap insurance to me.

I'm not familiar with the Text Anywhere, but the inReach SE charges via a micro USB cable. They also make car kits for this that include a RAM mount (you can see an example of this here: http://www.ocens.com/inReach-SE-Vehicle-Mount-P578C128.aspx). The inReach can store up to three canned messages. You can only set these up or modify them by syncing the inReach with your account, so they must be done in advance. I'm not certain on the google maps. Their portal, which is what you would typically use, I believe uses their own maps.

haven

Expedition Leader
I updated the link to the original article. looks like Overland Tech and Travel is now hosted by Squarespace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne