Separate sleeping area's for parents and young kids

java

Expedition Leader
Well I do it both ways. Often we camp away from the car. So in that case we use a LARGE ground tent. Its an Alps Mountaineering one, I have a couple of their tents and have been happy with them, although my dog did break the zipper.... It has two dividers, works well since we often take my sister in law along too.

For the RTT, she sleeps down below in the annex with the dogs. The CVT tents have zippers on the back wall of the annex that allow you to open the door, which might work well for you to keep the kids in the car and hear them still.

SteveG

Adventurer
I haven't read all the replied but I did see this was mentioned. We bought one of the Coleman instant tents not too long ago. 14x10, super easy to put up and $199 shipped. Plus, a 4.5 star rating with 531 reviews. Hard to beat. My wife and I plus two kids fit in it with room to spare.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-14x10...92171642&sr=1-2&keywords=coleman+instant+tent

The only thing I don't like about the tent is it packs a little big but it is what it is. You can't have size, ease of use and a compact package. At least not for $199.

Personally, I am just not into having the kids next to me where I can see or hear if something is going on... we'll be sleeping in the same tent for a years to come.

zelatore

Explorer
I don't know how old the kids are, but when I was growing up our family of 4 camped in KY nearly every weekend in the summer. We had a class C RV, and plenty of room for everybody in the camper, but because my brother and I were old enough to want to be away from our parents (say ages 10 to 15) we always just took a cheap pup tent and went maybe 100' away. We could usually have that silly little thing set up before dad got the RV leveled. And any modern cheap dome-style tent would be worlds better than that thing. The benefits were many:
The kids (my brother an I) were given some responsibility in that we had to set up/break down our own camp...even if it was just that little tent
This also gave us a sense of being on our own, again even though we basically spent the whole time at the main family site and knew we had an easy fall-back option if the weather turned.
Parents were relieved of the annoyances of having kids in the RV with them at night. No arguments to hush, etc.
A small tent like that took up virtually no space. For 3 people, you might need a bit more room but certainly not a lot.
Kids are durable. They don't mind crappy tents, sleeping on lumpy ground, etc (and don't know any better unless you tell them... :) ) so there's no need to spend big money on high end gear unless you just want to. They just enjoy the adventure of being 'on their own'.

This may not be an ideal situation with one of your kids needing closer attention, but maybe that one sleeps with you and the other are given their own tent and told to fend for themselves?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I don't know how old the kids are, but when I was growing up our family of 4 camped in KY nearly every weekend in the summer. We had a class C RV, and plenty of room for everybody in the camper, but because my brother and I were old enough to want to be away from our parents (say ages 10 to 15) we always just took a cheap pup tent and went maybe 100' away. We could usually have that silly little thing set up before dad got the RV leveled. And any modern cheap dome-style tent would be worlds better than that thing. The benefits were many:
The kids (my brother an I) were given some responsibility in that we had to set up/break down our own camp...even if it was just that little tent
This also gave us a sense of being on our own, again even though we basically spent the whole time at the main family site and knew we had an easy fall-back option if the weather turned.
Parents were relieved of the annoyances of having kids in the RV with them at night. No arguments to hush, etc.
A small tent like that took up virtually no space. For 3 people, you might need a bit more room but certainly not a lot.
Kids are durable. They don't mind crappy tents, sleeping on lumpy ground, etc (and don't know any better unless you tell them... :) ) so there's no need to spend big money on high end gear unless you just want to. They just enjoy the adventure of being 'on their own'.

This may not be an ideal situation with one of your kids needing closer attention, but maybe that one sleeps with you and the other are given their own tent and told to fend for themselves?

Thanks for your input. You make some good points!

Cheers,

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I have a question along the same lines. My wife and I have a small toddler, and she is a hurricane in her sleep. Her sleeping in our tent is an absolute no-go if we want to sleep at all. From a security standpoint, I feel best if my wife and I are in the tent, and our toddler locked in the vehicle.

What suggestions do yall have for keeping her warm enough? Im thinking a quality sleeping back with a thick blanket as a base pad, but what about some kind of low-draw heater (infra red? heat pad type device?) as an additional layer of warmth when we are out in colder climates?

Thanks!

Arclight

SAR guy
If you need more warmth, pick up 1 or 2 cheap down comforters at a thrift store. I challenge anyone to be cold with half a foot of down under and over them.

Arclight

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
If you need more warmth, pick up 1 or 2 cheap down comforters at a thrift store. I challenge anyone to be cold with half a foot of down under and over them.

Arclight

This ^....we've gotten away from using sleeping bags and only use down comforters from home. Albeit, thick heavy fill. If you cover the comforter with a quality wool blanket you'll be roasty warm...almost too warm. I like down comforters because they have the comfort of home, super warm and you're not confined in a zipped up bag. I could never get my kids to stay in a bag because, much like KiwiKurt, my kids are all over the place. Only downsides to down comforters are they cannot get wet and they are awkward/bulky to stow in transit.

SteveG

Adventurer
From a security standpoint, I feel best if my wife and I are in the tent, and our toddler locked in the vehicle.

I couldn't imagine locking my toddler in the car while I slept in the tent... there's no way I could fall asleep. Personally, I'd rather not sleep well and have her close by. How about putting her on quiet bedding so when she's thrashing around, you're not getting the "swish, swish, swish" that a lot of fabrics make.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, so i think what we've decided to try is this:

-CVT MT.Rainier tent with annex
-one parent with two kids either in the RTT tent, annex or using the sleep platform.
-one parent with oldest in either RTT tent, annex or sleep platform.

After talking we realized not sleeping together while we camped wasn't a huge priority, so for at least the first couple trips with this setup we'd go ahead and try it this way. It could be that we decide on the second or third night that we don't mind being separated from the kids, but this at least will put an adult right next to ALL the chitlins

SteveG

Adventurer
Ok, so i think what we've decided to try is this:

-CVT MT.Rainier tent with annex
-one parent with two kids either in the RTT tent, annex or using the sleep platform.
-one parent with oldest in either RTT tent, annex or sleep platform.

After talking we realized not sleeping together while we camped wasn't a huge priority, so for at least the first couple trips with this setup we'd go ahead and try it this way. It could be that we decide on the second or third night that we don't mind being separated from the kids, but this at least will put an adult right next to ALL the chitlins

I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles