Turtleback Trailer Build

Luke111

Observer
I saw two Turtleback trailers in the for sale section... checked out their web site and decided to give them a call. After a few calls and a few emails I decided to have them finish one of their frames to my spec's. I will forgo the slide out kitchen and and the baltic Birch paneling in the large forward cargo section but will have them install the shower, heater and water tank and wire the battery box add 315's to match my Land Cruiser.. I decided that I would finish the rear section and build out the front cargo section myself, While I haven't seen them in person... the pictures, the price and the owner and designer Dave Munsterman pretty much closed me..
Looking forward to the finished product
2ymypagy.jpg
a9yqeje9.jpg
byba3ena.jpg
rydujyza.jpg
8y6e9y3a.jpg
ubujyzuh.jpg
ge3emu8y.jpg
6y5a7ahu.jpg
ny2asegy.jpg
e8ejanym.jpg
saja6eju.jpg
7esezy9u.jpg
5ezygutu.jpg
8egasuby.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luke111

Observer
******** Cepek FC 315's mounted on Pro Comp wheels....running the same tires on my Land Cruiser and the trailer axles match my bolt pattern. Might look for matching TRD wheels later but for now saving a few buck here and there for other mods
yga9aza3.jpg
zy6y2eje.jpg
ne8eve4u.jpg
u3e5u8y2.jpg
y8eqasyv.jpg
uqa6avaj.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Looks really nice... I assume that the heater is for the water?

So the main area for suppies (chairs, tarps, luggage, etc.) is in the front half doors? Assuming the rear will be an eventual kitchen.

Don

-

Luke111

Observer
Is it Stainless? Darn nice fab work.

It's not stainless... and the fab work is really nice .. Frames are built on a jig, all the sheet metal and the wood for the kitchen is CNC. The whole kitchen is built on a bench ...1/32 tolerances and slips right into the frame . Saving time and money

Last edited:

Luke111

Observer
Looks really nice... I assume that the heater is for the water?

So the main area for suppies (chairs, tarps, luggage, etc.) is in the front half doors? Assuming the rear will be an eventual kitchen.

Don

-

The heater is for the water..and the front is for cargo.... I may add one of the side storage boxes and it will have the nose box which is huge. The frame went to paint and bedliner today.. so it's moving along nicely

Lou

Luke111

Observer
Got this message today from Dave of Turtleback Trailers

Hey Lou,

Let the TIG welding begin!!

Here are some pictures of the aluminum doors and door frames. They’ll be TIG welded up this week an off to powder coating. The front box is tack welded and will be welded and off to the powder coater also.

I’ve also sent pics of the Stainless Steel propane bracket and switch plates that house the Blue Sea Switches. Everything is laser cut then CNC bent. In addition there is a pic of the awning bracket that will be attached to the extensions to clear the tent.

Dave
esasypy9.jpg
8u9ynagy.jpg
asa9udyb.jpg
edepy3a6.jpg
dymuzasu.jpg
aze3ures.jpg
gasynema.jpg
y8yru2u6.jpg
baqu2ada.jpg
u9edajup.jpg
patyhega.jpg
5ypequje.jpg
de5e8u5a.jpg
bupubaqe.jpg
qe2anede.jpg
rasyty8a.jpg
yvu7uter.jpg
y6y7usa6.jpg

Last edited:

Luke111

Observer

That's kind of how I feel ... Have not seen it in person but it's going to be a sweet setup when it's done.... saving a few dollars by opting out the rear kitchen and the baltic birch in the cargo area... Planing on finishing those sections back home...I'm picking it up in Phoenix March 16th and hauling it back to Va. Part of a three stop trip... Flying to Denver ... picking up my 80 at Slee..they are just about done with a 2UZ swap ... Driving to Vail to ski and then to Phoenix

Lou
8e4u6abe.jpg
y3e5ebev.jpg

Luke111

Observer
Update from Dave

Hi Lou,

Here's the standard propane tank/hose/regulator. Yours will have the Squatty 11# tank. I use a bolt together adjustable regulator rather than the crimp together tin unit. The hose is high pressure propane cloth covered for uv protection and is stainless reinforced. The hose ends are serviceable with standard wrenches if there was ever an issue the tank fitting is o-ring sealed, hand tightening that works on old and new tanks and is all brass.

The polished stainless latch on the bracket is padlock able and adjust for short or talk tanks.

Just some more goodies.

Dave
3a5uzure.jpg
nytydajy.jpg
ynede4em.jpg
4e4ezehy.jpg

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
This really looks to be a quality trailer, with thought into how it will be used. Hope you it enjoy it half as much as I have you sharing it with us. Getting information about your trailer on a daily basis is a great way to do things. It appears these guys run a quality program.

Luke111

Observer
To think I was one day away from spending $5200.. for a new trailer modeled after a 416 with a lid.. and that was it... a bare trailer No battery box or water tank .. no heater...nothing but a box with a lid on a frame with leaf suspension ..... and I ran across Turtleback trailers... I'm spending more than $5200. but I'm getting a trailer with all the goodies minus the kitchen for many thousands less than then some of the household names in off-road trailer business. I've spent hours on the phone with Dave from TB about the build processes he's put into place to cut down on build time and cost ...the results are a very constant product every time and still be flexible enough to customize each trailer to the customers needs
Lots more to come

Lou

Last edited:

Luke111

Observer
Front nose box and side boxes are back from powder coating and Dave has decided to improve the coating on the trailer and make a few revisions to the frame.... So I'm getting a new frame that will have the inner fenders and attachments for two rear stabilizers.. The new coating will start with scuffing the frame and a primer base coat before bed liner...after a little more research he has changed bed liners and the company that's doing the work...

Lou
9yrubydu.jpg
gu5a4yry.jpg
pu8ura3u.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne