'01 F250 4x4 PSD - What offset for new 20" XD795 Hoss wheels?

EricU

Observer
So I haven't been able to find a PSD 4x4 Excursion (yet) and now I am going to throw a 4" spring/block lift on my '01 F250 4x4 PSD Supercab longbed and run 325/60r20 (~35s) on a set of black 20" XD795 Hoss wheels.

They come in three offsets, -12, 18 and 30mm.

I don't want the new wheel/tire combo sticking way out - I want it to look as stock as possible - I know, I know, a 4" lift and 20" rims aint gonna look stock, but I think you know what I mean!!

EricU

Observer
Check the wheel specs but I'd shoot for 4.5" of backspacing.

I thought that on a 9" wheel, wouldn't that be a Zero offset?

But I just looked at a table "Custom Wheel Offset Chart" by Cody G. Carson and it says that on a 9" rim, -12mm is equal to a 4.5 BS!!

Last edited:

EricU

Observer
Ordered the -12mm offset

The guy who I ordered them from said that they were hard to find. Not sure why?

sean257

Adventurer
-12 will stick out the farthest of the (3) you listed.

I just bought some 20x9 wheels for my F250 with a 20mm offset. According to my napkin calculations, on my truck this will make the new 9" wheel/ 13" wide tire combo stick out ~1-1/2" further than the stock (2012) 8" wheel/ 11" tire.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Check the wheel specs but I'd shoot for 4.5" of backspacing.

This is correct. You can run a 4.75 with a slight rub on leaf or we install a 1/4 billet spacer on the front sometimes to avoid the rub. Not a lot of wheels are made with the 4.5 offset 8 lug anymore.

EricU

Observer
So...am I correct with the -12mm offset equals a 4.5" BS on a 9" wheel? Because that is what I ordered

xbox73

Adventurer
So...am I correct with the -12mm offset equals a 4.5" BS on a 9" wheel? Because that is what I ordered

I think 4.5 BS/ -12 offset will likely work out well for you. BS/offset changed sometime around 03-05, so is different than the earlier trucks. I have a '00 Excursion, so similar year & platform to yours & initially tried 4.75 BS with 17 x 9 (different diameter to you, but same rim width, so same principles apply), and with a Toyo MT 17x13.5x37 I rubbed on the inside against the leaf springs. With a 12.5" width tire instead of the 13.5" tire, I might have cleared on the inside with no rubbing. But 9" rim width, 4.75 BS with 13.5" width tire had more rubbing than I was comfortable with & I didn't want to modify my end stops (e.g. by welding a washer or nut on them) to limit side-to-side steering movement to prevent rubbing. So I went to a 17x9 4.5BS / -12 offset rim & feel that is the perfect balance. I still have very minor rubbing at full steering lock occasionally with new 13.5" width tires, but it's very livable, and would likely not rub at all with 12.5" width tires. As far as the outside, my tires stick out a hair beyond the fenders, outer edge maybe even or an inch or two outside, but it looks & works fine, it doesn't look ridiculous, like e.g. if half the tire was inside the fender & half the tire was outside. With 12.5" width tires, i.e. 1/2" further away from spring on the inside & 1/2" less sticking out, it would be even better, if one's tire of choice is 12.5" width. Since 325/60/20 works out to 20x12.8x35.4, I think you'll be fine & made the right choice.

P.S. As you might have figured out by now, one might originally suspect that 9 rim width / 2 = 4.5" BS would mean 0 offset, but that doesn't take the finite thickness (1" ?) of the rim hub center into account, and since offset is measured from the inside hub surface that contacts the hub, the actual offset is half an inch offset different from simply dividing the rim width in half.

EricU

Observer
I think 4.5 BS/ -12 offset will likely work out well for you...

Thanks, I sure hope it looks good because this stuff sure adds up! Though after looking around at new trucks somewhere around $60k, a lift, some rims and tires doesn't look so bad...

Do you have any pics of your setup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles