Sportsmobile vs. XP Camper -- Why the XP Camper Won For Us

For the sake of providing more information, here is another thread on quality issues:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9690-transition-to-xp/page-7

Every manufacture has issues. Its how the manufacture resolves the issue with the owner (if it is indeed an quality issue and not an abuse issue).

We have an XP on order, soon ready for delivery (we think), so I follow this stuff with some special interest. Unfortunately I have no idea what was deleted from this thread, or who posted what, but several weeks ago I contacted one of the posters in the Wanderthewest thread linked above. I believe the person's complaints were legit on their most basic level (at least as stated from their perspective), but after a brief exchange of emails I came away feeling like the big problem is probably embedded in the idea that you can operate and maintain any expedition camper completely "turn key". Over the long run you're going to need to know something about the equipment you own. Previously we've owned an FWC Eagle and an Outfitter Caribou. Other than a trip back to Outfitter when the camper was a few days old, we handled repairs, maintenance and upgrades ourselves. I can't really imagine trying to get back to the manufacturer on the occasions we've had equipment issues.

Structural problems would be different, but even then you have to know enough to understand if it was an inherent problem, or perhaps caused by negligence (like hitting something, improper support when off the truck, etc.) In any case, I feel bad for anyone who spends a sh&t ton of money trying to realize their dream and fails, but you have to go into these things with a keen sense of your own capabilities. I could easily be wrong, but I felt this person just wasn't up to owning a camper like the XP. FWC shell might be a better fit.

Freebird

Adventurer
I believe one of the big issues was the high end diesel cooktop/space heater. Maybe you have the savvy to fix that when it is not working, but I know I don't. Those things are RARE over here, and he had to go to the factory for service. The XP factory apparently wasn't up to speed on it either, since it had recurring issues that were blamed on the user. Seems everything else (all other issues) was end user caused, too...
I know there is 2 sides to every dispute, but if you PM the guy on WTW, he will send you a serial list of problems. Yes, it was an early model, but, still, the factory apparently didn't step up to offer any sort of satisfaction.
I know I lost my interest.

Alaskawilds

Well we have been traveling full time with our XP camper for 2 years and are in Argentina right now. It has been perfect for us and our needs. The low profile has made it easy to go places others can't. We drove many miles of rough roads and had to tighten the odd screw here and there. But the XP is molded so the structure stays sound. In altitudes over 12 000 ft the Webastos are not happy, but your average traveler does not spend that much time in those altitudes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94