Sportsmobile vs. XP Camper -- Why the XP Camper Won For Us

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
My wife and I recently put a deposit down on a V1 XP Camper and bought "Panda," a Dodge Ram 3500 Dually to carry the XP. We're super excited about getting an XP for weekend trips in the northern California area, and for someday world travel.

We've spent two years reviewing and picking a camper. We evaluated Sportsmobile, FourWheelCampers, Hallmark, Earthroamer, Phoenix, Outfitter, even going to Colorado to see all of the shops. We wrote up detailed reviews of the experience on our blog, including:

Originally after visiting Colorado (but before going to Marc's XP Camper facility in Grass Valley, CA), we'd settled on a Hallmark. After visiting all of the factories, there's no question in our minds that at the $30k price point and under, Hallmark is the best choice for a traditional soft-side slide-in camper. Although now with Marc's smaller Tacoma-based XP V2 model about to hit the market, if we were shopping in the $30k price range we'd very likely go for a V2 over a Hallmark.

But after visiting Marc's Grass Valley, CA XP Camper facility, there's no question that the XP Camper V1 (the V1 is bigger than the V2) is the way to go for us. Marc's design and build quality is literally orders of magnitude better than the competition. So much so that we basically found a way to double our budget from a $30k camper on a $20k truck, to a $70k camper on a $30k truck, because the value is in such a different league.

If you haven't done the research and you're wondering how that could be possible, spend the couple of hundred dollars on an airline ticket to visit Marc's shop in Grass Valley, CA. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't (like this poor guy who bought a Phoenix camper and is having massive problems with it; I feel especially terrible for him because he's a Vet and traveling in a camper was his retirement plan). To sum up the differences in one sentence, an XP Camper is built like a yacht; other campers are built with staples and glue. To be more specific:

• The XP Camper has an exterior composite monocoque shell. Why does this matter? Because water is a camper's nemesis. And water will get into every camper at some point -- including an XP Camper. You'll leave a door or window open, or a seal will fail, something will leak, etc. etc. It's going to happen, and there is zero chance you'll keep it from happening; it's just a question of when. But with an XP Camper, the water doesn't matter. It doesn't affect the structural integrity of the camper shell. It's like a boat coming into contact with water. It was designed for that. This isn't true for any other camper on the market that I know of. For this reason alone, the XP Camper approach is light years better than anything else out there.
  • The XP Camper's interior is made of the same composite shell. As if it weren't awesome enough that the outside of the camper is made of a material that's absolutely impervious to water, the same is true for the inside. It would always drive me crazy how in other campers, the interior is this hodgepodge of wood construction, like something you'd find in a dollhouse.
  • It's all in the details: The thoughtfulness of construction in an XP Camper shows up in thousands of little details. It has central heating, including the floors. All the appliances run off a single fuel source, diesel. All the wires are labeled with easy access. The bed has a German spring system for ventilation and comfort (many times the bottom of the mattress in campers gets moldy due to water that seeps in). You can press your hip against a pad to get a burst of water from the sink. The shore power is via a smart plug with a microchip that will disable the power if the circuit is reversed. The privacy shade pulls up from the bottom so you can still see out while keeping others from seeing in. The flatbed design means the camper has gobs more living and storage space than a traditional slide-in camper, and it also means that the entrance can be on the side, with pull-out steps, so a motorcycle can be stored on the back. Marc builds a storage area for fishing rods or similar items into the bumper. There's copious under-bed storage (with custom bags fabricated to fit exactly). Marc fits an air compressor and tank into the flatbed that's great for re-inflating your tires after being out in the desert. Marc only uses stainless steel screws that resist rust. The XP uses a cassette toilet that can be emptied anywhere. The list is just endless. So many small details that add up to be way ahead of the competition.
In fact, the only real competition I think the XP Camper has is Sportsmobile. While a used Earthroamer might come in under $100k, we found them to be too big for what we're looking for when we visited the factory. And while the exterior is made from a bonded monocoque shell similar to the XP, it doesn't carry over to the interior, which still has the dollhouse wood look and feel to it (albeit, varnished dollhouse wood!).

138879498132346f7226d3de376f7342d2d0c049586a353f19d1eefe6691ffbc53a5bb25ca.png

Sportsmobile also falls short in most of the categories where the XP shines, but it has one major advantage: A pass-thru design. When we visited Sportsmobile, we got to experience it in both their Ford and Sprinter vans. And although we haven't taken delivery of our V1 yet, we have borrowed the V2 from Marc several times for testing, and we definitely see how we could miss that. With an XP, you're either in the truck, or your in the camper. But with a Sportsmobile, the truck is the camper.

Of course, the flipside of that is that the truck is the camper, meaning you can't separate the two. And after really talking it over, Sue and I decided that the advantage of being able to have a regular flatbed truck as a daily driver, combined with the flexibility of dropping the XP on when we want a full fledged camper, won out over the convenience of the passthru. There's also a ton more space in the XP vs. the Sportsmobile by every measure. For example:

• Storage: Sportsmobile Sprinter advertises 6.4 cu feet storage compartment by removing spare tire. XP Camper has 10x the storage -- 64.6 cubic feet, and it retains the spare tire.
  • Fresh Water: Sportsmobile has 10 gallons standard, optional cost up to 20. XP has 80 gallons standard!
  • Grey Water: Sportsmobile has 8 to 12 gallons standard, optional cost up to 25. XP has 25 gallons standard!
  • Fuel: Sportsmobile uses propane, which has pros & cons. One con is that propane is not allowed in some areas (like some tunnels) and it has to be refilled separately. XP uses one fuel source -- diesel -- which is likely the same as your truck is using. This is a personal preference item but I give the win to XP.
  • Changing Trucks: With Sportsmobile, the van is the camper, so you can't upgrade your truck. With XP, you can drop the XP Camper onto a new truck if you want to upgrade down the road. Winner: XP.
  • Pass-Thru: The XP is segmented -- you're either in the truck, or in the camper. With Sportsmobile, the truck is the camper. This is the only big advantage I can see to Sportsmobile over XP.
  • Price: Sportsmobile will cost about $68k for a non-4WD vehicle. Add another $20k for 4WD conversion -- let's call it $90k total (not including options, you're pushing $100k if you want to spec it out with additional capacities and storage). The XP Camper with flatbed is $75k + the cost of your truck, so let's call it $100k total (you should be able to get a great, used diesel Dodge 2500 or 3500 truck with under 60k miles for $25k or less). For a possible $10k premium you get a truck that was made to be 4WD (not converted after the fact) and all the other advantages I listed above that come with an XP.
So, that's a rundown of what sealed the XP purchase for us. If you're a Sportsmobile fan, or otherwise think I'm off in any of what I wrote above, I'd love to hear your perspective.

And if you're not familiar with the XP Camper, here's a video from a tour of Sam & Erica's camper (other XP owners) that I did before they left on their world trip. It gives a great overview of the camper:

I'd love to hear your opinions -- does XP beat Sportsmobile in your book?

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for taking the time to present your research to ExPo readers!

Everyone, please remember that this author's values and preferences may not match yours. So your choice for a camper legitimately may be different.

4xdog

Explorer
Drodio, weren't you so impressed with the XP Camper in your previous thread that you were considering some sort of hookup with them to promote their products? Did that relationship ever take shape?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Congrats on the purchase.

Is this thread relevant to 4x4 vans though? May in the SMB section? Or pop up campers.

drodio

Yeah I wasn't sure where to post it -- feel free to move it to a different forum if more appropriate (or I can try to?)

@4xdog -- I've gotten to know Marc, the owner of XP Camper, pretty well over the last year. I'm based in San Francisco which is about 3 hours from Grass Valley. He's let me & my wife Sue take his V2 prototype out for testing several times; we took it to Sawmill Lake and to the Mojave desert, and we gave him a bunch of feedback (he told us our feedback was one of the reasons he modified the V2 layout, which was cool to hear). We've become huge fans of his product and attention to detail. We helped him set up his XP Camper forum so other passionate users like us could talk to each other and share stories about life on the road in an XP, and that's starting to get a good amount of use. If I had more time, I'd try to do even more. I really think Marc is creating an entirely new category with the XP.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Very complete review. I love their yacht appearance!
I look forward to your thoughts on the XP V1 5000-10,000mi after you've owned it, to see how the build quality holds up. I don't see many V1's out there yet to be able to get this feedback yet.

Haven, it does seem that this thread should be in Hard Side Truck Campers(http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/119-Hard-Side-Truck-Campers) due to it being about the XP V1 on a Dodge truck, not a CamperVan. (The other option is in Sportsmobile's forum but I doubt they want it there; http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/111-Sportsmobile).

EMrider

Explorer
Interesting analysis, thanks for sharing.

As much as I love our SMB, I would also go with an XP camper if I were setting off on a long world tour. For extended travel, the XP appears larger and therefore more comfortable. Storage space is key. If I were going solo, maybe I would choose the SMB for its 4x4 capability and smaller footprint. But for any group size larger than 1, the XP seems to have the edge. Actually, I think of the XP as more comparable to an Earthroamer. The SMB is great for road trips (we have three kids under 16). But it is too small for family camping and pretty minimalist in general. Ideal for one person, OK for two, but I would not push beyond two.

R

Last edited:

drodio

@Emrider, how much smaller is the SMB footprint? It's an interesting point. I'd love to get some specific stats around it to fully grok it.

Tell me if you think these #s are accurate:

A Ford E series wheelbase is 138 inches according to Wikipedia. And its length is either 216.7 or 236.7 inches (not sure if Sportsmobile uses the regular or extended versions -- I'll assume regular). The other option, I believe, is a Sprinter, which has a wheelbase of either 144 inches for the 2500 model, or 170 inches for the 3500 model (not sure what Sportsmobile uses).

An XP can be put on a variety of trucks. I originally was going to put one on my 2003 Ford F250 that has a 6.5' bed. That truck has a wheelbase of 144.5". This is a video of a short-wheelbase Dodge with the same 6.5' bed that's been converted to a flatbed for an XP:

[video=youtube;BkHUVzAYAtk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BkHUVzAYAtk[/video]

You'll notice there's quite a bit of overhang on the back, which isn't great. So, I ended up deciding to buy a Dodge 3500 with an 8' bed, esp. since I want to put an extra storage box on the bed, like this:

It definitely has a longer wheelbase; comes in at 165" according to Wikipedia, which is a bit less than the 3500 Sprinter model. Does Sportsmobile use the 2500 or 3500 Sprinter Chassis? Or both?

At any rate, after looking at those #s I'm not sure there's much difference in the wheelbases between an XP and a SMB. The total length might be another story, because I know that Marc lengthens the flatbed to be something like 8', even on a 6.5' bed truck, i.e., the XP camper itself requires 8' (I think) of length.

Last edited:

drodio

@DiploStrat yeah I've heard good things about Tiger from some owners (like http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Travelin-Tortuga/Tiger_Talk.html ) as well as stories about how others (like Rob & Nina) swapped theirs for an Earth Roamer. Personally I'd put Tiger a notch below Earth Roamer from everything I've read, although I've seen the Earth Roamers first hand and only read about the Tigers.

But both Earth Roamer and Tiger suffer from the same issue that SMB does for us: The camper is the truck. Although the huge benefit is that you get a pass-thru, the even bigger downside (to us) is that you lose the flexibility of making dual use out of the truck as a daily driver pickup, with the added benefit of having ability to swap out the truck for a different model down the road, while keeping the camper. So for us, that flexibility wins out.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Yes, for me the ability to change out vehicle platform is very important. Although having a passthrough would be so nice.

Compromises.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
As a former XP owner I can add a bit. After one night on that bed we went to the nearest store to add some foam. Much better after that, threw that plastic in the garage as soon as we got home. The storage is a nice bonus but most of it is only accessible outside. Very little inside and you're constantly moving things around as you go to bed, put the bathroom up, etc. The under bed storage is nice but plan ahead if you need something under there while the significant other is sleeping or laying down! The heater is great! Not so much on the diesel cooktop. Give me a $50 Coleman stove any day.

ALWAYS lock the top when its up. Even if you just go in the camper for a minute or two. The remote was in my pocket during one of these one minute trips and I was out of sight, the remote turned on and the top came down. The rams ripped out of the ceiling (no limit switches) After that the top was never aligned and it eventually cracked in both rear corners. That noise & vision is not fun. Hopefully he has a better quality switch and some limit switches now, my wife was in the camper and its now a go to story when she wants to tell everyone what an idiot I am :)

Keep a good eye on the top seal. Not sure if others have had an issue but ours would get sucked under the top when coming down and it tore (twice). Bringing the top down became a much slower process walking around pulling the seal back down in several places. On our last trip the interior had a ton of bugs in it due to the gaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94