Sportsmobile vs. XP Camper -- Why the XP Camper Won For Us

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I can do a lifetime of camping on the money I saved by choosing the FWC over the XP. An additional benefit are all those trails that I can travel that a full size (rather plus size rig) cannot.
Cheers

A very good point.

Out of curiosity, how many times in your travels have you come across trails where a full-size wouldn't have made it thru? I ask as I'm considering a new project and it's a bit wider than a full-size with camper.

I thought about getting a Sportsmobile, XP and a Four Wheel Camper. I eventually settled a on a four wheel on a flatbed tacoma because of the reliability and proven track record. Sure an XP camper is cutting edge but what happens when the gears give out on the raising and opening system in a few years and youre in BFE Baja. All of the parts on a Four Wheel are easy to repair and fix. Not So much with the XP. As for the Sportsmobile, i just think they are too big and heavy. Mass X Volicty Squared. every little bounce or jolt will be harder on a 10,000lb rig. After having a tricked out syncro, im afraid of any modification to the drive train. I'd rather take a proven 4x4 platform and make it livable than take a livable platform and make it 4x4...

just my .02

foster

tnt

Observer
Um, tnt you need to re-read that. I called XP campers ugly (especially the V2,) and FWC sexy..

I read it right, I just wasn't clear on what I wrote. Sorry about that. I own a FWC, but covet the XP. I was asking what you find ugly about the XP? Too me the overall look is much nicer than the FWC and ATC look. The molded shell and rounded edges of an XP are smoother, more aerodynamic, and updated compared to our campers. Don't get me wrong, I'm about to place an order for a new FWC, but I still like the look of an XP. Kind of like I drive a Toyota but like the look of a Ferrari.

subterran

Adventurer
@ tnt:
As I said, it's just my opinion and it's difficult to expain individual asthetics. Some people like blondes, some prefer redheads, and some even brunettes... However, since you asked:
(/RANT ON) the original XP campers are somewhat less-fugly, but those V2's for Toyotas, with that cockeyed asymetrical window and bulbous appearance are just not pretty to my eyes. I am also dubious of any aerodynamic advantage over FWC, given the corpulent midsection and obvious additional weight. In addition there appear to be many less windows, and I cant figure out how on earth you might put a rack for carrying a boat up there. Down lower, there's alot of wasted space on either side of the wheels. (it looks like they addressed that much better on the V1 version) To me that V2 looks closer to a dolphin RV than an overland-eager offroading machine, and a dolphin would be much cheaper. The inside of the XP is overdone to me. Who needs (over harvested) mahogany? Who needs the cold, molded fiberglass 'boat' look? I don't think it's 'orders of magnitude' different or better than a newer FWC interior, especially the Silver Spur version of FWC. I spend most of my time outside the camper anyway, so fluffy interiors are not going to convince me to stay inside any more than I already do. Lastly, there's the somewhat less versatility aspect of a flatbed truck. I take my camper off in hot weather, and put on my soft topper and rack system. I haul hay and christmas trees, and all sorts of things that can blow all over and need to stay dry, and it's nice having sides sometimes. This last one is very much individual taste, but I find an intact pickup more flexible, and easier to resell, too.

As for the regular XP V1, huge 250 / 2500 style trucks just don't do so well in the woods of the south, where the roads are all overgrown and the trees are tight, so to me the functionality is reduced due to the size. To that end, I've never seen a Humvee in the real woods around here. They're so wide that they're mostly for show. I love a lean, mean, comfortable, useful, offroad capable, compact, efficient vehicle, and there's just nothing better than a FWC/ATC type on a compact 4x4. They can go most anywhere. To use your analogy, but change it to be more to the point: You drive a Ferrari, but like the look of a Prevost. But at the end of the day, it's your money.(/RANT OFF)

Last edited:

Gooseberry

Explorer
This is one thing that might be a driver error or a frame fatigue but other then having the unit fall off this is my next concern when putting a box on the back of a pickup.
u7ajyvun.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
This is one thing that might be a driver error or a frame fatigue but other then having the unit fall off this is my next concern when putting a box on the back of a pickup.
u7ajyvun.jpg
Ouch! It looks like it was parked when that happened ?
Maybe my ex-mother-inlaw was climbing in the back :sombrero:

docdave

Aspiring overlander
look at the position of the rear axle, no way to properly balance that unit.,,, but then I am a 'real truck' snob.

AMBOT

Adventurer
Something looks really wrong with that picture. Why is the rear wheel just behind the crew cab door?

That is also not an XP camper.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Something looks really wrong with that picture. Why is the rear wheel just behind the crew cab door?
A fair number of small pickups (not sold in the USA) with crew cabs have the rear wheel right at the back of the cab. Do a google image search on "Hilux Crew Cab".

tnt

Observer
Subterran, no need for a rant. I just asked why you thought they were ugly.

As far as looks of the camper go, the windows on the V2 when closed are funky. But like you said, blondes vs brunettes, etc. Any some of your other points I agree with you. The flatbed does leave a lot of space down low and limit your resell market. I need a rack for my kayaks and that is not an option on a XP. They do tend to run on big vehicles as well which can limit where you go.
The teak flooring does seem out of place but that goes back to the boat like interior. It is a material that lasts. And the molded interior cabinets are actually part of the structure of the camper and add strength while being lightweight.

But XPs are designed for more of the true expedition market rather than campers. So they compete more directly with the Earthroamers or GEV market, which are even larger vehicles. Can we go anywhere in our FWC that an XP can go? I think so. People are travelling the world right now in their FWC. But having visited the factory and camped with several of them, I do believe they are orders of magnitude better than our campers. But I'm not heading around the world anytime soon, my new FWC will dent my wallet, and I also drive a Toyota, so there are no XP's in my future.

Clutch

<---Pass
@ tnt:
As I said, it's just my opinion and it's difficult to expain individual asthetics. Some people like blondes, some prefer redheads, and some even brunettes... However, since you asked:
(/RANT ON) the original XP campers are somewhat less-fugly, but those V2's for Toyotas, with that cockeyed asymetrical window and bulbous appearance are just not pretty to my eyes. I am also dubious of any aerodynamic advantage over FWC, given the corpulent midsection and obvious additional weight. In addition there appear to be many less windows, and I cant figure out how on earth you might put a rack for carrying a boat up there. Down lower, there's alot of wasted space on either side of the wheels. (it looks like they addressed that much better on the V1 version) To me that V2 looks closer to a dolphin RV than an overland-eager offroading machine, and a dolphin would be much cheaper. The inside of the XP is overdone to me. Who needs (over harvested) mahogany? Who needs the cold, molded fiberglass 'boat' look? I don't think it's 'orders of magnitude' different or better than a newer FWC interior, especially the Silver Spur version of FWC. I spend most of my time outside the camper anyway, so fluffy interiors are not going to convince me to stay inside any more than I already do. Lastly, there's the somewhat less versatility aspect of a flatbed truck. I take my camper off in hot weather, and put on my soft topper and rack system. I haul hay and christmas trees, and all sorts of things that can blow all over and need to stay dry, and it's nice having sides sometimes. This last one is very much individual taste, but I find an intact pickup more flexible, and easier to resell, too.

Whatcha talking about Willis!?

I'll take the XP fluffyness...the interior is gorgeous. Heck, if I am going to living part time in it, I want to enjoy my surroundings. Looks like it would hold up better than a FWC's interior as well. Built like a "cold" boat...I like that.

intc.jpg

xp-camper_interior_shower-up.jpg

Flatbeds not useful...you're kidding right? You can side load them, no wheel wells to deal with, can have the sides up, or down, or no sides at all, stake bed sides...canvas tops...one
of the most versatile truck bed systems out there.

08-ute-top.gif

img-15.jpg

05102009-6.jpg

andrew-amesz-2.jpg

craig333

Expedition Leader
But it still adds about a foot to overall height. Enough you can't do a drive thru.. Seriously, I'd give that up for an xp if it was anywhere near my budget range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier