Need Advice on Best Fly Fishing Stops Between Oregon and Denver

rayct77

Observer
I'm going to be taking a trip this summer to Denver from Western Oregon. I'm looking to route the trip so I can hit some good fly water on the way. Looking for some good spots in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and Colorado. Open to suggestions for lakes, rivers, or streams. I have a small Scadden frameless pontoon so I would need to stay fairly close to shore if it's still water. Planning on taking a Four Wheel camper for lodging. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

When? If it's early spring run off could be running full blast and change your options.

Otherwise those states you list have some of the best fly fishing in north America. I could spend a month in Montana alone.

rayct77

Observer
July. My daughter has a fastpitch softball tourney in Colorado and I wanted to take my time and fish along the way. I am planning on taking a week to get there. It's a 20 hour drive if I went straight through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4xdog

Explorer
We have some surprisingly good trout streams in Missouri, spring fed in the Ozarks and stocked by our state conservation department. A resident annual permit is $12, and an out of state annual permit is $42. Daily permits for either resident or nonresident are $7. And they check. Best to have the permits if you plan to wet a line here.

It's probably the same along your way from OR to CO, yes? Do many of the western states have e-permits one can buy online?

rayct77

Observer
I think most all states have online licensing now for both resident and nonresident. I would never fish without being legal. Oregon is a huge rip off for hunting and angling licensing/tags IMO. I have heard that the other states I have mentioned are much more reasonable. Sounds like Missouri is not a bad deal. I would like to fish there someday but I think this trip I will only venture west of it.

loup407

Adventurer
We live in CO and fish a lot in WY and UT. Getting a temp license is easy online. We've done a number of long trips to fish, and learned you can also easily get a license in most fly shops, sporting goods stores and even gas stations. Pretty much every blue line between OR and CO has fish-trick is finding public access. As an earlier poster mentioned, run-off can be an issue. Here in the Front Range of CO, usually you are stuck with tail-water fishing at least till 4th of July, later if we get a big spring dump. Happy to help with some good water in CO as your trip gets closer.

rayct77

Observer
The Owyhee is pretty cool. To start your trip off.

Owyhee is a great idea. I just need to do some research about water level as that river managed for irrigation and from what I understand can get low in the summer during low water years, which,unfortunately, this looks like it will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles