Vario project started

Gretar

I began with fixed bolts behind the rear axle in my Vario, but had problems with broken bolts. So now I have 2 fixed points on each side one in front of and one behind the axle and then spring bolts both in front and towards the end. Have not had any problems after that in the rough terrain over here.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I went a different route and integrated the cab and box. This was an approach originally agreed with Ormocar - however I ended up getting a local manufacturer to build it (and sorry I didn't stick with Ormocar very long waiting time).

I have semi-ridged mounts directly behind the cab and spring mounts similar to Ullie's along the remainder of the length.
When I say "semi-ridged" I mean they have about the same flex as the rubber mounts for the cab.

jostein

Adventurer
Due to work and other, the camper project have been moving rather slowly this year. I have however gotten the truck road-worthy,and now I hope to get going again:)
After some thinking I have also changed my camper Box concept from a cabover design to a popup design. There are pros and cons, so not an easy decision.

ill13.jpg ill11.JPG

jostein

Adventurer
Made a roof rack this weekend, used some surplus aluminium extrusions from work.
DSC_0909.jpg
The t-slots in the profiles makes it easy to attach whatever needed.

Last edited:

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Hi Jostein,

Will be exciting to follow your build thread also!:) How will you intend to solve lifting of the popp-up roof, hydraulic cylinders? electric actuators? Or something totally different?

Fancy Cad model by the way!

docka

Adventurer
Cool roof rack. I was thinking of something similar made from Solar PV rail extrusions.

What's the colour code of the cab, looks great!

jostein

Adventurer
I am thinking of exactly the same solutions as you regarding the pop-up Vegard. I will probably end up with electric DC actuators.

jostein

Adventurer
As mentioned I have turn-tables on my front seats, which creates a seating are inside the cab.
But when turning the driver seat, the steering Wheel are taking up to much room behind it.

For this reason, I have been checking out the possibility of mounting a detachable steering Wheel. It seems that quick-release units for "sport steering Wheels" are readily available.
Then I would need Three items:

1) Hub adapter to get from spline shaft to 6-hole pattern. This is how they typically look:
hub adapter.jpg

2)quick release unit, example:
quickr.jpg

3) steering Wheel. This is the Sparco R368, which is one of the few larger aftermarket steering Wheels (380mm):
r368.jpg

The problem however, is to find a hub adapter for Mercedes vario...
Does any of you know if such a thing exists?

docka

Adventurer
Don't know the answer to your question about steering wheels but please do keep us updated with your progress, it's an awesome conversion!

Anton2k3

Adventurer
It shouldn't be too hard to make one of you can remove the spline but from the existing steering wheel. The quick release adapted appears to bolt to the hub adapter making it pretty easy. Something as simple as a round steel plate drilled and tapped according to the bolt locations and the spline nut/piece welded on to the back would be find. May even be able to find an old steering wheel on eBay to experiment with.

jostein

Adventurer
I have been thinking about that, but would prefer not to destroy the original wheel, and old wheels which would ship to Norway was hard to find online actually. Also questioning the welding properties of the cast piece in the steering wheel.

My 2000 vario has a 72-spline shaft. Googling suggests that this is the same for atego and actros mercedes trucks, which I yesterday managed to find a hub for. This hub has wrong Hole patter (5 instead of 6 bolt), but as you say Anton, holes can be drilled and tapped. I think I will take the chance and order this hub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne