Vario project started

jostein

Adventurer
Earlier I have posted some possible 3D concepts of my creation.
After several rounds with myself, I am now closer to a final concept.
The Illustrations below are very close to how I hope it will look when finished
almost final box design.jpg almost final box design2.JPG

There will be a large storage compartment in With a 220x150 cm master bed on top in the rear end.
Currently working on a solution making it practical to transform the storage compartment into two more beds, so that there will be a 2x2 bunk bed in the rear.

jostein

Adventurer
Question;

Up here in Scandinavia I would categorize batwing awnings exotic. In austraila on the other hand, they seem more like bread and butter.
I have been googling a bit, but cant seem to find what I would call a 180 degree type. More commonly they are 270 degrees, perfectly going around the rear of a typical SUV.
On my truck, not being the typical SUV, this is not so perfect. I would love to have a variant that are hinged in front of the camper box and swings 180 degrees to cover also the truck cab area.
Maybe someone more familiar With this awnings can enlighten me? This is what I want (or think I want at the moment):
batwing 180 degree.JPG
A traditional awning from Fiamma or thule mounted to the box will obviously not cover the area next to the trucks cab like this setup will do...

Last edited:

Ullie

Adventurer
Earlier I have posted some possible 3D concepts of my creation.
After several rounds with myself, I am now closer to a final concept.
The Illustrations below are very close to how I hope it will look when finished
View attachment 352339 View attachment 352340

There will be a large storage compartment in With a 220x150 cm master bed on top in the rear end.
Currently working on a solution making it practical to transform the storage compartment into two more beds, so that there will be a 2x2 bunk bed in the rear.

Nice illustrations. But don't you go a bit to far behind the back wheels? (large overhang)

jostein

Adventurer
Less overhang would look better but give less space. The underun protection can be folded up, so departure angle are decent at 20 degrees (same as a typical stock Landcruiser).
The truck had the same overhang when I bought it, and I decided not to cut the frame. Pros and cons as usual:)

Last edited:

jostein

Adventurer
Finally, after a long time playing around with the chassis, startup for box building!
IMG_20160703_181933_resized_20160703_062137649.jpg
Also got the solar roof box in place (please notice my daughters red Unimog just visible to the right).
IMG_20160703_120802_resized_20160703_061644715.jpg

jostein

Adventurer
Currently doing the Floor heating. Using xps Boards, 10,5 mm PEX and aluminium tape. On top I am going to wet-lay a woven fiberglass/epoxy laminate. Together with the bottom panel this forms a 50 mm "double sandwich"

IMG_20160721_132034_resized_20160721_035132608.jpg IMG_20160720_131837_resized_20160721_035134158.jpg

IMG_20160720_193632_resized_20160721_035133463.jpg IMG_20160721_154738_resized_20160721_035134890.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
Did you purchase the foam pre-cut for the hydronic heating loops or was each piece cut to fit?

I have always liked the Vario trucks, too bad they are not readily available in the States.

jostein

Adventurer
Hello, the Varios have their charm:)

I did cut the foam with a router myself. Then I added aluminium tape pieces to reflect and spread the heath (took some time..) As yo can see from the pictures, I have left som foam exposed between the tapes, this is to improve bonding with the GRP I will lay out on top when I get time.

This foam is a higher density / better quality than the type that you can buy ready cut (at least here in Norway), I also wanted to make cuts for drain piping and electrics.

jostein

Adventurer
Did the E-glass/epoxy skin on the bathroom floor the other day. Forgot how messy this kind of work is.

Cutting of the mats:
cutting mats.jpg

3 layers of 300g/m2 mats in Place:
mats layed out.jpg

Patio heaters can among other things be used for curing:
curing.jpg

Vegard_S

Adventurer
It's looking good Jostein, I'm impressed!:) Will you install parquet floor or similar on top of the sandwich floor when finished?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94