First Expedition: Mojave Road East to West in a JKUR with an IH Scout

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Indeed. I suppose if it comes to it I could speed up to around 60 and glide across the water on the skid plates (kidding). :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Fantastic trip report and solid pics! You guys traversed it like pros hitting just about every must-see along the route.

How much water can you ford in the Subie?

I'm guessing 2-3 teaspoons :D

Just messing with you Chazz :) The old safe rule of thumb is supposed to be half way point of the wheels to avoid submergeing wheel hubs or diff in water but many have gone much deeper and lived to tell about it. Another issue can be the radiator fan hitting lots of water in the absence of a bow wave...a piece of tarp across the grill helps if not sure. Depending on when you visit do let us know in the CA section...unless of course this is going to be a solo trip.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I'd feel comfortable up to about two feet with a firm surface. The intake is currently right around 27-28", though I might be able to temporarily squeeze another 6" out of it since the throttle body points straight up at the hood.

Just messing with you Chazz :) The old safe rule of thumb is supposed to be half way point of the wheels to avoid submergeing wheel hubs or diff in water but many have gone much deeper and lived to tell about it. Another issue can be the radiator fan hitting lots of water in the absence of a bow wave...a piece of tarp across the grill helps if not sure. Depending on when you visit do let us know in the CA section...unless of course this is going to be a solo trip.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep a tarp handy just in case. Fortunately, the Foz is blessed with little electric fans and nothing else. :)

Yep, it's going to be a solo trip... otherwise I would definitely post an open invite.

Last edited:

MotoDave

Explorer
Man, great write up and pictures! Can't wait to take my '62 Scout 80 through there some day. Any details on the Scout II?

Loober

Adventurer
Hey great write up man, it was a pleasure meeting you guys and have an opportunity to swap stories. You are right about taking your time on this trail and take in the scenery. We definitely missed some stuff, next time I'll take a more slower pace, and maybe borrow that guide book.

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gunnermoose

Adventurer
Great report. I struggle with writing reports. This is one of the trails I want to get out and see. I just ran a portion of the El Camino del Diablo this past weekend.

Nice photos.

gearheart

Man, great write up and pictures! Can't wait to take my '62 Scout 80 through there some day. Any details on the Scout II?

Hi everybody! This is Mike, the owner of the Scout II in question (sorta... it actually belongs to Sweetwife. I told her I would build her any vehicle she wanted and she picked out a Scout II !!!)

In brief, it has some updates.
Driveline;
2008 Gen IV VORTEC 5.3 with a 6L80 six speed auto trans (two overdrives!) mated to a 241c transfer case with a shortshaft and CV outputs front and back. Ford explorer front driveshafts used in front and back on the Scout.

Suspension;
Front = three link with panhard rod, held up with 4 inch lift WJ (grand cherokee) front coils
Rear = spring over axle using chevy 63" leaf springs (late model Chevy 1/2 ton pick up springs because they are longer and flatter with a much improved spring rate)

Axles;
Front = Jeep Cherokee full size Dana 44, 4.10 gears w/ posi
Rear = Honda Passport Dana 44 w/ Ox Locker and stock rear disc brakes

Other than that stuff, it is mostly stock. For what it is worth, I have been working with my cousin on his 63 Scout 80, it sounds pretty close to your build except spring over axle leaves all around. His has a 63 Corvette 327 that we are refitting with a Tuned Port fuel injection system and matching adventure trailer made out of the rear half of a scout 80!

Thanks Scott, for putting this trip together. A fun camp-out on one of the most historic dirt trails in the country!

Mike Kern

gearheart

Hey great write up man, it was a pleasure meeting you guys and have an opportunity to swap stories. You are right about taking your time on this trail and take in the scenery. We definitely missed some stuff, next time I'll take a more slower pace, and maybe borrow that guide book.

Nick

Hi Nick, it was perfect timing on your part and fun to share the campfire with you guys.

Mike

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
amazing photos and great write....my younger son & I really enjoyed the Mojave Road and you have reminded me I should take some friends back and run it again.
Nothing like good friends and some fun history to bring an area to life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz