Fun question: What other 4x4 would you replace your current Nissan with and why?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Most of us love the trucks we own and wouldn't think of replacing them but if you had to make that choice what would it be and why?

Personally I like my R50, it's been a rewarding and therapeutic experiment. The setup meets our needs and to share the build with the like minded community has been great. Two things I find it lacking in are the aftermarket support and more cu-ft room. Let me quickly explain what I mean by those. I was well aware of the lack of aftermarket support but when I bought it my idea/objective of family offroading was traveling down the dirt roads and camping, which still holds true. It's a great platform for that but as I met people and expanded our offroading experiences I can't help but lust after good suspension - say 7-8" suspension travel vs. 1-3". Even a good mid-level ICON suspension would be awesome to have on it so I can bomb down those washboard roads without jarring the whole truck loose. Storage space, as a family of 3+dog it gets tight for multi-day trips. While we manage to find the room for everything, inversely we (ok, I) manage to find more things to bring along too.

So what would I replace the R50 with if I were to do it over again?

Unrealistically, a Ford Raptor even though I prefer an SUV
Realistically a Land Cruiser 100, LR3 or a 4th or 5th gen 4Runner - they have to change the back of the 5th gen though
Stupidly, previous gen Tahoe (solid rear axle ones), 1st gen Sequoia - because you don't see as many of those built for overlanding expeditions, similar to the Pathfinder. Something about trying the roads less traveled. However, like the Pathfinder the aftermarket will be limited.

So let's hear your guys thoughts?

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
My top 5 would Include

3rd Gen 4runner - We had three growing up (1988, 1992, 1996), and this one I was old enough to remember the most, its essentially my Xterra with a Toyota badge on it for all intents and purposes
80 Series LC - more space, solid axles, lockers, built like a tank, need I say more? getting older though and tough to find up here. Either cheap and rusted out or nice and asking rediculous money
100 Series LC - bigger version of what I have now, down to torsion bars and IFS - newer, which is a plus and a minus depending on how you look at it.
1st gen sequoia - share parts with the tundra, definitely nice and big, reliable, I think they look great, might be a little too big for me though.

and the lust for it but not really practical (for me) would be a regular cab, short bed, 4x4, manual transmission 4cylinder tacoma. We cant even get the regular cab in Canada.

I ran across one in Bald Eagle State Forest this summer, something so simple and practical about it, had crank windows and manual locks as well. We talked to the guy for almost an hour about it, I would get it in white too.

But I think I would go with a second gen Xterra before any of those, but since we cant pick Nissan, my list stands.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Reasons?

You can pick a Nissan truck if it's available in your area, it's fine :) If it wasn't for the extra room I would've picked the new Xterra.

If my Xterra was stolen tomorrow and I had to pick anything to replace it, it would be this, in white

Dmski

Adventurer
I feel like I'm betraying my xterra. But if I had to do it over and money was no object it would be the following:

Land Rover 110
Land Rover TDI Discovery (not sure why but love these disco's)
Land Crusier 80
Land Crusier 100
Toyota Tacoma 4 door

jonny.jpg

Adventurer
Well, I'd want a 110 for the off-Roading capabilities, but it would suck to get parts in case it broke down

If I had to do it again, a Tacoma would be nice. But I really like my XTERRA. I mean, how can you not like this face?

atu5y5e3.jpg

-Jonny

KiwiKurt

Explorer
After having my pro4x x for a little while, I have to say I dont know. I really like this truck. I call it my LR2.5. Its what it feels like. Drives kinda like the defender 2/lr3, but none of the emotional baggage. Has the similar styling but a little less tech.

I can say for sure that after owning a Nissan truck, the luster for a toyota isnt there any more. I really like the nissan build a lot better.

Id have to say id replace it with whatever results from the new defender concept.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Series III 109. I almost started it as a project, but got the X instead. Shes been loyal for 10 years. Hoping to get another 10 out of her. Reasons for the series III is growing up overseas, they were a dime a dozen where I grew up. Close second is a 90s landcruiser 2 pickup. Dad had one that i absolutely loved. Looked like this
1336046471_368487268_2-Toyota-Land-cruiser-pickup-for-sale-Richards-Bay.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Ooooh I like this question, it's a fun one. If I had to get a new vehicle tomorrow, here's what I would look at:

My first and favorite choice, the most realistic, and the one I will get next is a second gen Frontier Pro-4x. Suits my needs perfectly, love the way they look and feel, the build quality is fantastic, and it will do everything I want. Aftermarket support for it is far better than for my first gen. In blue please

Barring that, a second gen Xterra Pro-4x. Much better aftermarket but a less space than I need.

If I suddenly need something bigger, I'd probably go for a Titan Pro-4x (anyone noticing a pattern here?). Well built full size pickup, and the rumors of a diesel are intriguing

Now, my slightly unrealistic fantasy truck is a Defender 110. I just love them. They're beautiful and rugged and uber capable. But I'd only want one with a diesel.

My other slightly unrealistic fantasy is a customized Unimog. That would be all the truck I ever needed.

If I lived where I could get one, a Y61 Patrol would be near the top of the list. Obviously rugged and dependable, and kind of an underrated underdog next to the Land Rovers and Land Cruisers of the world. I have a deep love of them as well.

But I love my D22 to death, and after owning it, I've become a die-hard Nissan fan. I've lived Land Rover life, and it's exhausting quite frankly. Always worried break downs and repair costs. But damn if they aren't amazing, capable, and beautiful. I'd love to own another some day. All that said, I will never own another as an expo rig, unless it's a 110 Defender diesel, and even that's a stretch. They are the most reliable of the bunch, but they're still not as solid as I'd like.

Toyotas leave a bad taste in my mouth. Some of them look great, are durable, and have a great aftermarket, but they feel... soulless to me. Like they've got no personality. Just feel kind of bland to me. I can't explain it. And aside from that, Toyotas are far overpriced if you ask me. Extra sticker shock just for a swirly T on the hood. I just don't like it I guess.

richard310

pew pew
Call me silly but a 5dr diesel Evoque with full warranty. Then dump it once the warranty is up. Why? Just because it looks wonderfully conceptual. I guess the main cons would be what looks like insufficient rear cargo room, 18" wheels, low ground clearance, and no low range. For what I currently do and what capabilities I'd expect out of a daily driven 4x4, I think this would do just fine. I'd definitely make it work.

But since this is ExPo, a Unimog. I'd run over everybody and everything in my way. Traffic on the way out of the city can suck it. You're not going to bring me*down from my fun.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I love my R50, I would buy another should I wreck it. But if I had to buy something else:

Predictable
  • 2nd Gen Xterra Off Road/Pro-4x: Good motor, capable for my needs stock with better tires, a little bigger, and cool looking. Perfect.
  • 2nd Gen Montero: cheap, great build quality, over-built, capable, rear locker, neat looking sleeper
  • 100 (or 80) Series Land Cruiser: Had one growing up, loved it. We all know why these rock.
  • 3rd Gen 4runner: If I can stay awake at the wheel (I test drove one, and the boredom turned me off from them), rear locker, aftermarket etc etc.
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Overland model with Quadra-Drive II: Capable stock, classy, v8 power, and I like the front end a lot, especially in red with the chrome grill.

Surprising
  • 2nd Gen Explorer: I've always had this dream of hopping up the 5.0 in one of these, and hoping the AODE will keep itself together. Off road mods are certainly possible, and growing up with a 1st gen, I have fond memories of the nameplate.
  • 2nd Gen Subaru Forester: I'd lift it a little and rally it up. Good mileage, cool look, and a fun runabout.
  • Gen 1 Toyota Sequoia: Large and in-charge, solid platform, and cheap compared to a landcruiser.
  • Mid 90s Suburban: big and powerful, I'd get the 5.7L and play with it. Love the looks of these things for some reason.

Absolutely positively not:
Any Land Rover. Don't like them, don't like the look, the idea, the reliability, how they wheel, nothing about them makes me ever want to buy them. Sorry excuse for having to work on an awfully made vehicle far too often if you ask me. Nothing but excuses for them.

Also, for those who've suggested a Unimog: A friend of mine has a '63 404. I've ridden in it many times, and know the ownership experience- drive or ride in one and then you may change your mind. :sombrero: I love the idea of them, but wouldn't really want to own one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles