Which van for a solo camper?

Wiley

Adventurer
Another vote for the Astro, which has pros and cons. For your usage, it would be a great rig.

At least 1 other guy whos name I forgot and myself have taken Astros through Mexico, Central America, and parts of South America. I was on the road for a long time, so the size got to me (had I not had surfboards on the inside it would have been much better), that would probably happen in any van, but its a nice balance of interior size to exterior size in that you are not driving a beast through small pueblo streets, but still have some room on the inside.

mikracer

Adventurer
You could build a pretty comfortable rig going with a full size cargo/passenger van. You also have the added convenience of being able to store your bike (which I'm assuming is worth a decent amount) inside at all times. You also have the option of building out a kitchen if needed and not have to worry about the space so much. The only downside is the size if you're not used to driving a vehicle that big.

I don't know much about the astros, but it seems like a lot of people really like them. I've always just been a fan of having extra space because sometimes you'll need it.

basemiles

ihatemybike - thanks for the primer on Astros, really good info!
TLow - I've been through your Astro thread (awesome van you have there), and that's what got me thinking of the t-case swap. But agreed, I don't think my planned (for now) usage warrants one.
To those suggesting a Vanagon w/ or w/out a swap, I've thought about that for a while as well. I find them really cool and full of character (isn't that what VW owners say to justify the ownership experience? :D) In fact, that kicked off the camper van idea in the first place. But looking at what it'd take to build and maintain, the Vanagons were relegated into the "maybe one day" pile :)

While I'm still looking around for a decent lower mileage Astro, I keep coming back to the car-based minivan option. Something like a 2005-2007 Grand Caravan/T&C.
The pros are
-can be had pretty cheap with not too many miles
-comfortable and car-like driving/parking experience
-decent fuel economy in FWD (AWD is about the same as Astro)
-stealthy/dime-a-dozen
-engine easier to access than an Astro
The cons:
-less space than an Astro, but probably enough for a weekend: bed, storage, place for a bike (definitely not sleeping outside!) with clever organizing. Really, not planning to spend much time inside, aside from sleeping. Then again, extra space is nice to have...
-transmission issues not uncommon. Hit or miss. Some other small gremlins.
-less ground clearance than stock Astro. Can't really lift them. AWDs are rare. That said, the intended use cases are mostly on-pavement and an occasional "gentle" FSR to park in the woods for the night. It'd be neat to have a go-many-places adventure van, but I'm not sure I'll be able to go too many places often enough :/

As you can see, I still haven't made up mind yet. Anyone used a conventional minivan as a camper? Thoughts, advice?
Really appreciate all the responses so far!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Having had my hands in the engine compartments of FWD based vans, I'd rather work on an Astro any day of the week. Truth is for the normal wear out items RWD based vehicles are almost always easier to service. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for the long term and doing most of the wrenching on it yourself, life will be easier with a RWD based vehicle.

There are a couple lifted Chrysler vans on ExPo, both using suspension spacers and only gaining about 1.5" in the front. Most FWD based vehicles seem to only handle up to 2" of lift while still having usable suspension droop. I've seen 4" done, but the CV are almost maxed out and there is very little down travel left in the suspension. The other option is to do a cradle drop, lowering the engine, transmission and suspension in the body allowing for bigger tires without affecting suspension much, this is a lot of custom work though.

Also similar to the FWD based minivans, the Pontiac Aztek. AWD available, not highly desirable, roomy, sleeping in the back was one on the marketing focus points for it.

Last edited:

arlon

Adventurer
Old T&C and some decent all terrain type tires would go a long way to getting you where you need to go. I'd just have to ditch the passanger car tires on a minivan and get something a little taller in at least a D LT tire. I use E rated LT tires on the Astro. Suitable tires is a big thing for me. I mostly drive pavement and a gravel but the gravel roads can sometimes have me miles from civilization (help or cell service). I already put a hole in a brand new set of tires (passanger tire rating) on my van while driving down a graded gravel park road. I went to the heaver E rated tire with a 3 ply sidewall as soon as I got home. I big flat in the middle of nowhere scared me. I had to limp out on one spare (ended my weekend). Good tires are more important than what they are put on! The Astro fits REAL tires very nicely.

If you can get a rear locker of some sort (lot of Astros with towing package have the G80) the AWD becomes less critical in my book except if you drive in snow a lot.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Old T&C and some decent all terrain type tires would go a long way to getting you where you need to go. I'd just have to ditch the passanger car tires on a minivan and get something a little taller in at least a D LT tire. I use E rated LT tires on the Astro. Suitable tires is a big thing for me. I mostly drive pavement and a gravel but the gravel roads can sometimes have me miles from civilization (help or cell service). I already put a hole in a brand new set of tires (passanger tire rating) on my van while driving down a graded gravel park road. I went to the heaver E rated tire with a 3 ply sidewall as soon as I got home. I big flat in the middle of nowhere scared me. I had to limp out on one spare (ended my weekend). Good tires are more important than what they are put on! The Astro fits REAL tires very nicely.

If you can get a rear locker of some sort (lot of Astros with towing package have the G80) the AWD becomes less critical in my book except if you drive in snow a lot.

Agree here with the older Town and country/Caravan sentiment. Our 2005 Caravan was OK at best when it came to reliability, durability, etc. NOT a vehicle I'd count on to do more than just kid duty. Older ones were much more like Astro-vans/Safari's when it comes to durability.

10-4, OP on your sentiment about vanagons. They're definitely a commitment when it comes to upkeep. They can't be matched in what you get for your overall footprint or $ spent, IMO, though.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Since tires were mentioned, having one or two matching full size spares really helps. I've experienced a couple flats hundreds of miles from home and hours away from help. It's soo much better to be able to swap another tire on and no have to think about repairing/replacing the damaged tire till much later. I currently only buy tires in sets of five and do five tire rotations.

Grumpy has LT245/75r16-E tires with its 2" lift.
Green needs tires, thinking of trying less aggressive LT235/75r15-C with no lift.

basemiles

Agree here with the older Town and country/Caravan sentiment. Our 2005 Caravan was OK at best when it came to reliability, durability, etc. NOT a vehicle I'd count on to do more than just kid duty. Older ones were much more like Astro-vans/Safari's when it comes to durability.

10-4, OP on your sentiment about vanagons. They're definitely a commitment when it comes to upkeep. They can't be matched in what you get for your overall footprint or $ spent, IMO, though.

How old TC/Caravan are we talking? Gen 1/2? Those are probably harder to find now than an Astro. Gen3 doesn't seem to be any more reliable than Gen4, but I could be wrong. Gen3 is probably my favorite when it comes to looks, but that is pretty far down the list of requirements :)

Vanagons...I'm handy enough with a wrench to fix them, but it's really not my favorite thing to do. I had a Mk1 GTI and a Mk2 GLi (16v). While I kept them in top mechanical condition (took a bunch of work, but neither have ever let me down...I may have easily spent more time wrenching on than driving either!), I would be paranoid of something breaking every time I drove on the hwy. I can anticipate the same happening with a Vanagon even if I went over it and replaced a bunch of parts. Plus, with a swap (Going from 1000ft to 7000+ft on the stock 2.2L doesn't sound exciting), I would have to worry about emissions testing, in addition to the $ involved in the swap. This would be way over the $5K budget! That said, I do agree that the overall package is hard to beat in terms of space efficiency.

Thanks for the tire suggestions. That's an important one. I realize A/T options for a minivan sizes are rather limited.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
How old TC/Caravan are we talking? Gen 1/2? Those are probably harder to find now than an Astro. Gen3 doesn't seem to be any more reliable than Gen4, but I could be wrong. Gen3 is probably my favorite when it comes to looks, but that is pretty far down the list of requirements :)

Vanagons...I'm handy enough with a wrench to fix them, but it's really not my favorite thing to do. I had a Mk1 GTI and a Mk2 GLi (16v). While I kept them in top mechanical condition (took a bunch of work, but neither have ever let me down...I may have easily spent more time wrenching on than driving either!), I would be paranoid of something breaking every time I drove on the hwy. I can anticipate the same happening with a Vanagon even if I went over it and replaced a bunch of parts. Plus, with a swap (Going from 1000ft to 7000+ft on the stock 2.2L doesn't sound exciting), I would have to worry about emissions testing, in addition to the $ involved in the swap. This would be way over the $5K budget! That said, I do agree that the overall package is hard to beat in terms of space efficiency.

Thanks for the tire suggestions. That's an important one. I realize A/T options for a minivan sizes are rather limited.

Gen 1 and Gen II are what I was suggesting. they were 200k mile workhorses for our family. You're probably right about availability.

Here's a tip, though, and I don't mean to sound condescending AT all, but I've done a lot of wrenching on a lot of cars, and I've figured out one finite thing about ALL cars. They ALL break. :D You just need to decide which one you want to work on.

I think it's a benefit that you know Veedub's. I know Jeeps like the back of my hand, I can literally do anything on a TJ or cherokee. (Because I've likely done it at one point or another...haha) have you considered picking an SUV rather than a van? A lot more choices if you go that route.

- Buy a $3000.00 4runner/Cherokee/pathfinder/trooper
- Put $500.00 of preventative maintenence into it which will familiarize you with it's workings.
- Build a $50 plywood platform and drawers for under-bed storage
- Buy a nice, brand new lockable yakima/Thule bike rack on top
- Buy some cool, new space/weight conscious camp gear
- Sew some window nets to keep the windows open in the heat, without the bugs.
-Done, probably well under budget

Just an alternative thought process... I'm sure you'll make a good decision, and this is a great bunch of blokes to ask.

Last edited:

basemiles

Haha, true, they all break. Some are easier to work on than others, but I'm also trying to keep the parts costs in mind. They never seem to be cheap for VWs, somehow. And what I gathered from a very brief research, some Vanagon parts run even more than regular passenger VWs of the same era. I'd be happy to be corrected though!

Thought about a SUV as well. I like the 4Runners quite a bit. I want the van primarily as a camper, but also to be able to occasionally transport large objects. Mortorcycles, for example :D Also, I think the living space in a SUV would be even smaller than a minivan.

And regarding the Gen1/2, should I avoid the 4 speed transmissions and stick to 3sp? As I understand, all the engines are fairly reliable?

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
Oh yeah, parts are cheap and easy to find for Astros.

Yeah, I'm prodding you that way. Drink the kool-aid. Become an Astro-nut.

arlon

Adventurer
Since tires were mentioned, having one or two matching full size spares really helps. I've experienced a couple flats hundreds of miles from home and hours away from help. It's soo much better to be able to swap another tire on and no have to think about repairing/replacing the damaged tire till much later. I currently only buy tires in sets of five and do five tire rotations.

Grumpy has LT245/75r16-E tires with its 2" lift.
Green needs tires, thinking of trying less aggressive LT235/75r15-C with no lift.

NOW I have a full size matching spare and wouldn't mind having a spare spare too...

derjack

Adventurer
I did check the whole Thread- so sorry if already suggested the following:

My suggestion is a VW T4 [if enough Budget T5]. Extreme reliable, engines from 2,8V6- 180HP down to (the most reliable engine in Europe probably ever) 2.5l r5 Diesel N/A. This engine is slow but you can drive it with 7l/100km (I don´t know how many mpg this is. I guess 30 or so).
Interior is robust, you can get every kind of extra- especially for camping- you can imagine.
Very very well build chassis quality.
Available in 4x4 - so called synchro- also.

I would go for this and would really recommend it. I am not a VW Fanboy. And although I just bought an E350 Diesel Quigley, the better Quality is VW for sure. But that´s another story. [VW (and almost all uniboby style Vans) are not really usefull for 4x4 action and a T4 is too small for MY needs]

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Haha, true, they all break. Some are easier to work on than others, but I'm also trying to keep the parts costs in mind. They never seem to be cheap for VWs, somehow. And what I gathered from a very brief research, some Vanagon parts run even more than regular passenger VWs of the same era. I'd be happy to be corrected though!

Thought about a SUV as well. I like the 4Runners quite a bit. I want the van primarily as a camper, but also to be able to occasionally transport large objects. Mortorcycles, for example :D Also, I think the living space in a SUV would be even smaller than a minivan.

And regarding the Gen1/2, should I avoid the 4 speed transmissions and stick to 3sp? As I understand, all the engines are fairly reliable?

Yeah, motors are solid. Not sure on the trannies - someone else might chime in on that. Our caravans both as work vehicles and then our personal van never had tranny issues, but i don't remember if it was one or the other or a mix of both models...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94