Which van for a solo camper?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
10-4 on the moto requirement, though you could sling a bike onto a hitch mount or onto a small trailer.

As far as living space, i'm picking up what your putting down.

Have you checked out james and lauren's adventure in their 1st gen 4runner: http://homeonthehighway.com/

They definitely opened my eyes when it comes to what i need to carry and what i need to be comfortable when out and about.

basemiles

You Astro fanboys are swaying me over again :D
Found a 2WD 1999 high top conversion for sale (have not seen in person yet). Are those worth looking at? Has TV, VCR, CD player, all of which I'll have to tear out anyway.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4290719043.html
Or should I stick to regular roof models? I doubt I'd be able to fully stand in a hi-top anyway, but would be paying MPG penalties.

What would I typically need to replace at 170K? How about 130-140K? And how long do the fuel pumps normally last on these?

Cole

Expedition Leader
I did check the whole Thread- so sorry if already suggested the following:

My suggestion is a VW T4 [if enough Budget T5]. Extreme reliable, engines from 2,8V6- 180HP down to (the most reliable engine in Europe probably ever) 2.5l r5 Diesel N/A. This engine is slow but you can drive it with 7l/100km (I don´t know how many mpg this is. I guess 30 or so).
Interior is robust, you can get every kind of extra- especially for camping- you can imagine.
Very very well build chassis quality.
Available in 4x4 - so called synchro- also.

I would go for this and would really recommend it. I am not a VW Fanboy. And although I just bought an E350 Diesel Quigley, the better Quality is VW for sure. But that´s another story. [VW (and almost all uniboby style Vans) are not really usefull for 4x4 action and a T4 is too small for MY needs]

Unfortunately the T4(called a Eurovan here ) is limited availability in the USA and the T5 not at all. None of the Diesel engine options were available in the USA. Canada got small numbers of the 2.4l NA diesel.

In the budget price range would maybe, with a bit of a deal, find a 1993 Eurovan Weekender. Which has 2 beds, standing room(Poptop),fold up table, small fridge, space for motorcycles and sleeping (motorcycles inside with rear seat out and sleep upstairs in huge Poptop) Has the mostly bombproof 2.5l gas motor. Available 5speed or auto.

The newer T4s (1997-2003) would be out of the price range.

digitaldelay

Explorer
You Astro fanboys are swaying me over again :D
Found a 2WD 1999 high top conversion for sale (have not seen in person yet). Are those worth looking at? Has TV, VCR, CD player, all of which I'll have to tear out anyway.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4290719043.html
Or should I stick to regular roof models? I doubt I'd be able to fully stand in a hi-top anyway, but would be paying MPG penalties.

What would I typically need to replace at 170K? How about 130-140K? And how long do the fuel pumps normally last on these?

Safari fanboy here, totally different :)

A 2wd hightop would be nice, especially if it has the G80 diff. I don't think the hightop would affect mileage too much. You will appreciate the extra headroom if you plan to do any "living" in the van.

In my experience, most GM in-tank fuel pumps last until you run the tank low on a hot day. Then it's days are numbered. If your fuel gauge starts acting wonky that is a telltale sign your fuel pump is going away. It doesn't always give you a warning, though.

Good luck in your search!

Jason

vwhammer

Adventurer
My vote is for the any of the water cooled tin top Vanagons.

Add the rear bed if it does not have one already, ditch the center seat, buy a camp stove, add a small tank to hold water and maybe a small PV stsyem for some lights and possibly a water pump.
Then bring a small easy-up- type tent to set up your kitchen/chill out space just outside the side door.

This will easily accommodate one person comfortably for days or longer if you stop every now and then for water refills.

Cole

Expedition Leader
My vote is for the any of the water cooled tin top Vanagons.

Add the rear bed if it does not have one already, ditch the center seat, buy a camp stove, add a small tank to hold water and maybe a small PV stsyem for some lights and possibly a water pump.
Then bring a small easy-up- type tent to set up your kitchen/chill out space just outside the side door.

This will easily accommodate one person comfortably for days or longer if you stop every now and then for water refills.

For the money, an Astro-fari is much better bang for the buck than a tintop Vanagon! 200hp vs 80-ish so no need for engine swaps($5-10k just to get to the same power), cheap and easy AWD already there on the Astro-faris, cheap parts, lots of mods, etc. No to mention the whole AC thing for the OP living in Arizona!

Now.....if we are talking Full Westfalia pop top camper Vanagons then there is no contest, the Vanagon is better to start with and do swap motors, etc. But all of that FAR exceeds the OP stated budget!

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
While I'm not a fan of the upfitter seats, wiring, insulation, large windows, etc of conversion vans they like the factory window vans tend to lead an easy life and are usually very mechanically sound. From what I've seen, the high tops will cost you 1-2 mpg.

Spent three weeks living out of Green (window van, regular roof, I'm 6'2") last summer, as the husky and I traveled to Alaska to retrieve my wife from a farm in Homer she was working on. Retained the 2nd row bench, built a platform behind it that was level with the bench when folded, all gear was stored under the platform and a full size futon mattress was used on top. I never once felt like I was lacking space and slept so well on that trip. Truthfully, the trip was over way too fast. Here's what was roughly covered.

I consider anything over 120k mile on a stock fuel pump as borrowed time. When a pump is that old, I'll typically order up another ACDelco/Delphi pump to keep on hand. I can swap pumps in less than a couple hours.

With 170k miles on the clock, I'd go through the steering and suspension (true of any vehicle). Check the ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arms, replace any worn items with good quality stuff like Moog. Typically it's recommended to replace shocks every 100k miles. Grumpy's stock shocks were replaced at 300k (bought the van with 297k).

In my 17 years as a certified Astro-nut, I have only seen G80s (limited slip) come stock in AWD and the rare old GT/RS vans. I've owned one AWD that had it stock and performed an axle swap to add it to Grumpy. Typically the 2WD vans have 3.23 gears, AWD vans have 3.42 and rare 3.73 gears can be found. I may do a G80 swap into Green this year.

arlon

Adventurer
G80 would be a nice swap into a 2wd van. Should be real easy to swap one from a junker. Lucky mine came with the G80 and 3.73 gears. High top would be nice but it wouldn't fit in my garage if that is a concern. Another plug for the Astro is it's towing capacity. Way better tow vehicle than most of the true mini vans if you ever want need tow you can with an Astro. I got a rear sway bar to add to mine and also got a set of air bags to add to the back.. Accessories that are easy to get for the Astro are just another benefit. I got the sway bar and air bags when I was first going to add a roof top tent. After pulling the seats out, I decided I didn't need a roof top tent. Airbags are nice though when I add a hitch hauler with a big 128 qt cooler and my bike rack to the back of the Astro. Having a 2" receiver hitch is just another benefit. With the air bags and hitch hauler, I can sling another 500 lbs of crap on the back with no worries at all. I could throw a motorcycle on a hitch carrier if I desired..

Did I mention I like the Astro platform?

large.jpg

basemiles

^That build is awesome! Lots of cool Astrofaris on EP.
Anyway, I looked at that high top one, and while the raised roof is nice, I don't think I really need it. Really like the space of Astro otherwise. Also, I was able to fit comfortably in the driver's seat, no looking through top of the windshield, like some are saying. I'm 6'3", but all legs. Footwell space seemed OK, too.
That particular van had a few too many problems for the price they were asking. The front end seemed like it needed a rebuild, as the steering was "floaty" and imprecise. Also, the fuel gauge needle was vibrating really fast - is that a sign that the pump/sender are on their way out?
I'll keep on looking.

Wiley

Adventurer
The front end seemed like it needed a rebuild, as the steering was "floaty" and imprecise.

Just an FYI: This is often the idler arms, which are a cheap, and easy replacement you can do yourself, easier than changing the oil filter. Obviously there could be more that needs replacing on the front end, but these go quick and often resolve the floaty feeling you described...of course if these went bd you need to ask yourself if they were not lubed properly, or if the mileage is just at the point where these need replacing. If these were not lubed the other front end parts with zerks probably were not lubed either, so it could very well need a front end rebuild depending on the previous owner. You can jack up the front end and determine which parts are failing by yanking on the wheels various ways.

Good luck with the search however you decide to go, and obv keep us posted. Can we get a mod to change the thread title to which Astro for a Solo camper?:safari-rig:

basemiles

Just an FYI: This is often the idler arms, which are a cheap, and easy replacement you can do yourself, easier than changing the oil filter. Obviously there could be more that needs replacing on the front end, but these go quick and often resolve the floaty feeling you described...of course if these went bd you need to ask yourself if they were not lubed properly, or if the mileage is just at the point where these need replacing. If these were not lubed the other front end parts with zerks probably were not lubed either, so it could very well need a front end rebuild depending on the previous owner. You can jack up the front end and determine which parts are failing by yanking on the wheels various ways.

Good point! I never owned a truck/van before, so had to look up what those were :D Seems simple enough of a job. Anything else in the front end that likes to fail often?

Can we get a mod to change the thread title to which Astro for a Solo camper?:safari-rig:
Yeah, might as well :)

ihatemybike

Explorer
Another thing that can lead to floaty steering is a worn steering gear box. Pretty rare to have to replace them though. I've only had to on one van so far.

Fuel gauge vibrating is fairly normal in these vans, but the gauge is pretty accurate regardless, mid-point of the vibration being the level.

Wiley

Adventurer
Good point! I never owned a truck/van before, so had to look up what those were :D Seems simple enough of a job. Anything else in the front end that likes to fail often?

My basic mechanical skills consisted of changing oil, air filters, spark plugs, and tires on a Honda prelude before buying the Astro....so it was very basic (It still is). Before leaving on my trip I replaced the idler arms, tie rods, upper and the lower ball joints, think that was it for the front end. The ball joints are quite a bit of work, the tie rods are easy but require attention to keep your alignment close so you can drive to a shop after. I did not replace the bushings though they could use replacing, it is a bit involved and you need access to a press or need to build your own. The tie-rods will throw off your alignment, I don't remember if the ball joints will, I don't think so, but if your just swapping idlers your alignment is fine. Jump on Google for the tire check I mentioned, if its loose when pulling one way it indicates tie rods, if its loose another it indicates idlers, etc. it will help you determine how the front end is when looking at any vehicle with this type of front suspension.

The other guy, Zack, in the blue Astro who went to South America replaced his entire front end on his own I believe. If you are somewhat handy with tools and dont mind the work, you will most likely do all typical repair work yourself on an Astro rather than paying someone else.

Really there are plenty of van choices, but if opinions are pushing you towards an Astro spend some time on astrosafarivans to get an idea of what is involved with repairs, the site has everything Astro related, and where I learned to do the repairs I have attempted. There would not be many repairs/jobs I would not tackle thanks to that site. I don't want to clutter this with Astro stuff, but if you go down that dirt road feel free to ask more questions...though people like ihatemybike are far more knowledgeable than I am

Here is the other thread which ultimately led to Zack; and myself buying Astros
Vehicle decisions for Pan Am Trek

Last edited:

basemiles

Well, after a few weeks of asking questions, thinking, and cruising Craigslist, I have finally joined the Astrofamily!
IMG_20140129_082228_zps6e3b8c61.jpg

IMG_20140129_082418_zps2c42c25b.jpg

IMG_20140129_105904_zpsb89e5aaa.jpg

Picked it up on Monday. It's a 2003 with only 89K miles, really clean inside and out and only had one owner in AZ, so no rust that I can find! Would've preferred the dutch doors, but hey, beggars can't be choosers :)
Everything seems to work and she drives pretty good, but a couple of small things that should be addressed:

1. The ABS and Brake lights stay lit on the dash. The PO said the brakes were changed all around ~2 weeks ago, and the lights were on since. I've been searching around the web, and it looks like one of the causes could be a speed sensor issue (for the ABS), or a proportioning valve misadjustment. Or a parking brake switch? Any ideas? Is there no way to read the ABS codes without a proper scan tool with these OBDII vehicles?
2. While the steering is better than the other (high top) Astro I looked at, it's still a little floaty. Or maybe I'm just used to fun driving Mazdas :) I guess I'll be checking the idler arms over the weekend. Is there a definitive way of telling that they're bad? At least, I could re-grease them. What other chassis components can (and should) be greased periodically? The PO did all the services at Jiffy Lube type places, so I'm suspecting some of the maintenance items may have been overlooked.
3. Lastly, after 89K, the shocks are showing their age. I think I'll swap them out in the near future? If I keep the stock ride height (or go to a 2" lift at most), which dampers should I go with? Would like something that lasts a while, and prefer body control over ride plushness. Bilstein HDs? How are the Rancho 5000s? I see a few people are using those.

As far as camperizing the van, I think for now I'll just keep a pretty basic setup and add items as the need arises: a twin size bed with storage below (milk crates?) a bike holder (inside), some curtains, mosquito nets on the pop-out windows for ventilation, and maybe a swivel front passenger seat.

Thanks again for all the discussion leading up to this point. You guys are a very helpful bunch!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz