Which van for a solo camper?

basemiles

Edit: got the van. Update on page 5 :)

Hello everyone, new here and new to vans as well. So much so, I don't even have one yet, but the more I think about the uses, the more I want one. For the past few weeks I have been looking through threads here and elsewhere trying to figure out what I want, but still having trouble deciding. I was hoping you guys could offer some advice and steer me in the right direction. I would like to stay <$5000 for the initial purchase (of a well running vehicle) and would like to stay light in terms of mods.

I intend to use the van mostly for weekend (2-3 days) trips, although an occasional week-long adventure could also be in the cards. I live in the Phoenix, AZ area, and would like to be able to spend my weekends in the cooler Flagstaff during the summer, in large part as altitude training (road cycling). While conventional tent camping is an option, I think being able to sleep in a van would be much more convenient.
Travelling elsewhere, I don't see myself venturing way off the beaten path, but some light trails and fire roads should be in the mix. I tend to avoid snow in general, but an occasional trip to the beach is possible as well.

I anticipate most of my trips to be solo. The camping/sleeping inside is most likely to be solo, too.
For the interior of the van, I would like to have (at least) a twin size bed (I'm 6'3"), some storage for personal items (could be under the bed), and a space to keep 1-2 bikes. I don't think I need a fridge at this point, but maybe I'm missing out on the advantages it can provide. I can usually cook something non-perishable at home and bring it along for 2 days. Plus, when staying near a town, I should have access to restaurants and grocery stores. I have a camp stove that I could use to cook stuff outside the van. Running water would be nice to have, of course, but I think I can manage with some water jugs - no sink needed.

I have not yet decided whether I want an AWD or a 2WD van. This can significantly increase/decrease the number of available options.

When I first got the idea of sleeping in a van, I was thinking traditional minivans, like a 2nd gen Honda Odyssey. But having driven one, I'm not so sure anymore. While the driving dynamics is great for such a large vehicle, there isn't that much space behind the front row. I can fit lengthwise, but there's not much room left for anything else. I'm sure I could make it work, but do I want to?

Then (in large part thanks to this forum) I started looking at Astro/Safari vans. I think the size is just about right for what I want, they're readily available, affordable and parts are easy to find. They also offer the AWD option, but the lower MPG and some anecdotal reliability reports have me on the fence about these. Also, the AWD models offer the potential to swap to a non-permanent 4x4 via the S-10 T-case (correct me if I'm wrong here). However, given my intended uses, I wonder if I would even be using the AWD all that much. Then again, having AWD and a small lift could open up some interesting new places to explore.
I'm not new to working on cars, and don't mind getting my hands dirty, but would rather prefer to drive it than to wrench on it (so VWs are off the list...I've had a few in the past :)). If you've owned an Astro, at what mileage do these things start to require attention beyond scheduled maintenance?

Going beyond Astro, there are the larger vans like Chevy Express/Savana, E150/250/350 and the Ram Vans. Plenty of these for sale, especially in the cargo guise, but most with higher miles. Stock, these are RWD only, and I'm not sure if the larger size warrants poorer fuel economy. But any arguments for these larger vans are welcome.

Sorry for the long winded post, but hopefully that provides enough info. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, advice and words of caution. And of course, every thread is better with photos :)

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I really like the Astro AWD vans for what you are describing. Having the ability to modify the van to suit your needs as they change/expand is key.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
The Astro's are good little van's. My company has 4 of them. Like anything, how well they hold up depends on how you take care of them. We have one with 189k and that is about max for us, van still runs well but everything else is wore out. We use them as a contractor van so they are always loaded. Wheel bearings and rear ends seem to go about 150k. Radiator and water pumps about the same, we have not had anything major with engine's. They average 14-18 mpg (loaded). You might try driving one, at 6'3" it could be cramped.

I personally like the full size Ford van's. We have owned them all and they seem to hold up the best. The mileage is all about the same if you stay with like size engines. The newer the van the better the mileage. (ie 94 e150 w/351-04 e150 w/5.4)
My personal vans are Ford's.

Good Luck.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I would second the Astro/safari. At your price point you should be able to find a pretty nice one.
Before I bought my savana I found a few Astros with around. 50-70k miles on them under $6000

As far as reliability. The chevy 4.3l is bullet proof, and if I remember correctly the trans used in those vans is the same they still use in larger 1/2 t vehicles. So it is overbuilt for the smaller van.
Look on CL and see how many are for sale with over 200k on them. Up here there are tons, which to me says something for their longevity.

Good luck. Post up when you find one

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Any vehicle at that price point is going to require care and maintenance, the good thing is parts are cheap and plentiful for the Astro. In my build thread, I've documented most of the work I've had to perform the past few years. Purchased two years old with 35k, I didn't do a whole lot other than regular service until the front end rebuild at 128K.

arlon

Adventurer
Another vote for Astro. I just pulled the middle seat out of mine and there is room for a kitchen area, easily make a 6'4" bed and still have room for a bike inside. I got the Astro for the AWD, it's great in snow and pretty decent off road. Mine did come with the G80 rear locker that helps. Did very minor mods and just drive it. Slightly more nimble in narrow dirt roads than a full size van. If I didn't need the AWD, I'd probably look at an older full size van with the short back. I took some time finding the one I wanted but in the end I found an 04 with every option I wanted and less than 50k miles on it. Paid a little more but got what I paid for.

bdog1

Adventurer
I originally considered the Astro with AWD, an excellent choice, but a full size gets almost the same mileage and chevy also has that in AWD. It might push you budget though. I found a Ford that fit my needs and it has been cheap to work on.... so far!
Get out and use it some before making modifications.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

basemiles

Thanks for all the replies so far! Good to see more Astro recommendations. To the Astro AWD owners, if I go with a 2003+ AWD, can I physically disconnect the front driveshaft to run in 2WD mode for better economy and less wear on the front drive system? I'm aware that there is the "ATC" (?) fuse that can be pulled as well, but then the front end will still be connected, no?

bdog1 - which Ford did you go with? If it's RWD, any issues on loose surfaces? Same question to Heloflyboy before you converted to 4x4 on your Ford. What sort of gas mileage should I expect with the 5.4L E150? And assuming proper maintenance, do parts last longer than the Astros?

And that box van posted earlier is the business. Maybe one day :)

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies so far! Good to see more Astro recommendations. To the Astro AWD owners, if I go with a 2003+ AWD, can I physically disconnect the front driveshaft to run in 2WD mode for better economy and less wear on the front drive system? I'm aware that there is the "ATC" (?) fuse that can be pulled as well, but then the front end will still be connected, no?

It's '99+ that has the electronic transfer case. You can disconnect the front driveshaft, I doubt you're going to see any significant mileage increase or less wear as the cv axles are still spinning.

basemiles

Here's a box van for sale in Scottsdale. Already set up for moto's [so easily used with bikes too], 7.3L diesel, side door and windows installed, dual rear doors instead of the garage style door, seats 4-5, only 114,000 original miles... jus' saying.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4272644032.html

Yeah, saw that one, but quite a bit out of my price range and is probably overkill at this point. But a guy can dream :)

basemiles

It's '99+ that has the electronic transfer case. You can disconnect the front driveshaft, I doubt you're going to see any significant mileage increase or less wear as the cv axles are still spinning.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you ever drive with the fuse removed? Any benefits you can think of from swapping to the s-10 TC if I'm not going rock crawling? And reliability-wise, how much better are the 2wd models?

Heloflyboy

Adventurer

bdog1 - which Ford did you go with? If it's RWD, any issues on loose surfaces? Same question to Heloflyboy before you converted to 4x4 on your Ford. What sort of gas mileage should I expect with the 5.4L E150? And assuming proper maintenance, do parts last longer than the Astros?

And that box van posted earlier is the business. Maybe one day :)

My 4x4 van is a 94 E150 w/351. I bought it converted, it was done by Salem/Kroger (no longer around). It average's 12 mpg. Our other van is a 97 E350 EXT diesel, it currently has a detroit locker in the rear and have yet to take it any where to test it. It get's about 15 mpg.
We just got a 2013 E350 with 5.4 for work it has ladder racks and shelving inside and it looks like it is averaging 14-16 mpg in last couple of month's. Pretty happy with that.
Just to give you some idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier