Middle row seat release cable broken, what part do I need?

mike5

Adventurer
There is a cable that runs from the seat back to the seat bottom which releases the inside latch for the purposes of folding the entire seat forward (when needing maximum cargo space). This cable has snapped right where the seat back and bottom meet. When you fold the seat, it causes the cable to stretch which then releases the seat bottom so it can fold out of the way. Looks like there is an elbow shaped connector which broke, separating the cable. This is for my 96 SR. I'm looking at ASA, but can't figure out which cable I need. I've attached a screenshot for reference.

The part ending in B looks correct because it seems to go from the bottom to the top, but my piece is the inside piece, not outside. Part ending in C seems more correct, but it does not show the cable going all the way to the upper part. Part ending in D is just another cable...not sure what exactly for. All the parts basically have the same description.

Can anyone shed some light on what I need to purchase or if this is something an upholstery shop can fix?
Capture.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ask your dealer. If they're good, they've had the same question many times and will know the answer. Of course, this also means buying it from them even if its a little more expensive than online but IMHO, its worth the added cost to get the right p/n in the first place.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Anyone know how to get the seat to release from the floor when that cable breaks? My driverside half wont fold up so I can't inspect/repair it...

mike5

Adventurer
I think you need to remove the front bolts, then fold the front up so it rests on the back side. Then you can see what else you need to remove to get the seat out.

Btw: I confirmed with the dealer that Mitsu no longer makes/sells those cables.

mike5

Adventurer
Here is the part number I believe: MR219598

Anyone have an idea of where to get a new one or a OE manufactured one?

barneymutt

Seat release cable.

Hey mike5, Was that the correct cable you needed "MR219598". I need one as well. I can't lift my seat either.

mike5

Adventurer
I'd be happy to pay postage. Just PM me and we'll go from there.

They don't make these parts anymore so can't find it at any dealer.

evol911

Observer
mitsubishiparts.net has it for $16.74.

That's where I get all my OEM parts since they are local to me (Olympia, Wa).

Shipping is usually about $10.

10OFFJUNE will get you 10% off also.

mike5

Adventurer
I know they show having it, but it's discontinued. Try ordering from them, your order will be cancelled:)

loremordred

Observer
I just jimmy rigged it.

I unbolted the cover for the latch, compared the break and damage, got a thick gauge wire/paper clip, wrapped the wires, tightened with pliers, gave a few test trial pulls, and bingo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles